Mount Customization!

Started by WanderingOoze, July 08, 2016, 02:50:34 PM

I think it would be pretty cool if the mount thing was changed so that one wasn't randomly loaded every time you turn
a ticket in at the stables. (At least, I think that's how It works, right?)  That way you'd get the same mount every time.
Pretty sure it's been brought up before. But! I think it would be cool. Then we could put things on our mounts to make them unique
without losing them upon reload/renting them.

I'm thinking decorative saddles, bells for their mandibles, ribbons..warpaint, special mount-specific armour. Erdlu hats. All kinds of fun stuff
like that. Also, it would allow for mounts to age at whatever progression rate, maybe get better/worse over time depending on how the PC that owns them
uses them. Say a ranger's Beetle, who rides constantly, using trample/charge/whatever would develop into a relative war-machine! Where some merchant who
never leaves the walls except on special, heavily guarded occasion's mount, would be a bit slower/softer than an active, road-hardened war-bug.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

As far as I know, the only thing that's randomly generated every time you pull a mount out of the stable are its stats. I have no idea how wide a range it is, but I don't think it's particularly wide for a given sdesc-type.

As for your second paragraph, I do think things like saddles, ribbons, bells, armor, etc. are cool additions to mounts and I've enjoying roleplaying them in the past. A fair bit of that stuff also actually exists in game already. Unfortunately, it's not readily practical or visible: you can pack a saddle on a mount, but it's little more than a flavorful bag.

It would be cool if mounts had (more) wear locations, and we could put particular things on those locations and have them visible when someone looks at the mount. Perhaps a paint item could take a cue from the mask code and change the mount's sdesc accordingly.

You would need to unpack them from the mount before stabling, and re-pack them after you bring the mount out, but I think this is a fair and realistic tradeoff in exchange for having the possibility at all.

Of course, whether the code would allow for something like this is another idea entirely.

I like the idea of customizing mounts. The problem is that I don't think things can persist through stabling/unstabling due to the way the code works.

One thing that might work and could be easy to implement is the ability to change your mount's tDesc. That could handle all the RP aspects of painting your mount, adding bells and whistles, scars, etc. The tDesc command is already in game but I'm not sure how you could "pipe" it through to the mount. Maybe something like 'order' except restricted only to using tdesc/ldesc? Or even emote?

I don't think you can even change its ldesc or arrange it, something I'd like to see.

I'd like to see more mounts in general.
Someone give me a horse.

Flying mounts.

Mounts that you can sneak with based on your own sneaking+riding ability

Spiders as mounts, that can climb up and down easily.
No more do you have to worry about your mount falling down holes.

Quote from: Jihelu on July 08, 2016, 09:42:34 PM
Spiders as mounts, that can climb up and down easily.
No more do you have to worry about your mount falling down holes.

If this becomes a thing, please give the spiders a small chance of A) deciding to carry you off to a cave to eat you, B) freaking out VNPC's, and causing guards to attack it. That is all.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Well. It would be a tame spider of course. Like a tame beetle.

You cannot tame a spider, it is an alien sentience and it's home planet is Lirathu. They come down from spider-silk ladders during full moons, seeking their natural prey, mindworms. In lieu of mindworms, the other races are a tasty snack.

In all seriousness though, riding spiders is fun.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Quote from: Raptor_Dan on July 09, 2016, 12:05:36 AM
You cannot tame a spider, it is an alien sentience and it's home planet is Lirathu. They come down from spider-silk ladders during full moons, seeking their natural prey, mindworms. In lieu of mindworms, the other races are a tasty snack.

In all seriousness though, riding spiders is fun.

Yes. Spider Riders.

All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

If there is anything else added to this game that is spider-related.

I will fucking cut people.

So hard.

Mount customize ideas though, hell yeah. Even being able to change the ldesc would be rockin.
More colors at the mount vendor would be awesome too, seeing 6 scarlet-colored beetles on a ride and hoping everyone keeps their beetle's in order. And oh my, if something crazy happens and mounts start attacking mounts or players attack mounts there's no way to tell what the hell is happening to what.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

It'd be cool if it was similar to the custom tattoo NPC. So you have a list of colors, adjectives, and nouns. Price based on the noun (Inix, Beetle, etc).
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I would LOVE this! Age stats stay the same through stabling and unstabling. So some things are static, just not stats. Maybe there's a way to do it with the script currently used for tattoos.

I LOVE the idea of having tdescs for mounts.

There was a rad branded ox at one point. Okay, rune branded? Ever since then I've longed to braid ribbons into their fluff and paint the shells of my beetles.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Quote from: Reiloth on July 09, 2016, 05:15:24 PM
It'd be cool if it was similar to the custom tattoo NPC. So you have a list of colors, adjectives, and nouns. Price based on the noun (Inix, Beetle, etc).

That's genius.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on July 09, 2016, 06:34:18 PM
Quote from: Reiloth on July 09, 2016, 05:15:24 PM

That's genius.

I concur. This is an awesome idea.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.