ALRIGHT EVERYBODY BE COOL! THIS IS A ROBBERY!

Started by Malifaxis, June 22, 2016, 12:59:49 PM

Would this idea be a good addition to the game?

Fucking baller hells yeah
10 (55.6%)
Could see some benefit
5 (27.8%)
Meh
0 (0%)
UltraMeh
0 (0%)
Dude, fuck you Malifaxis.
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: August 06, 2016, 12:59:49 PM

June 22, 2016, 05:07:28 PM #25 Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 05:10:37 PM by lostinspace
I just want it with crossbows so we actually see them in game again and they fire pretty much instantly. If we just want this to be a way to disincentivize spam running, and aggressive action, then any weapon could work. A dagger against a throat is just as good thematically, and fi that's the case, I'd say make it a function of sneak or something.

Also this is a good example of shooting a bow very quickly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g
3/21/16 Never Forget

Not very accurately. There's some mechanics involved in bringing it up into position, going to draw length, fixing your target, and loosing an arrow. I probably could not hit a man-sized target at 10 yards without it taking at least 7-8 seconds. And I don't think most people are going to stand there and let me take that aiming time.

A healthy adult can cover 300 feet in 20 seconds. There's a thing called the 20 foot rule where it talks about how a charging attacker can cover 20 feet in the time it takes to raise a pistol and fire 2 rounds into center mass.

The crossbow is the only ranged weapon I really see working out well for this, if we want to stick to realism.

Consider a command like "approach" in a game like this. A knife or sword wielder could "approach" a potential victim and receive the same bonus to hit and prevent them from moving.

Or in the same way "steal" lets you "plant", let "guard" have a counterpart aggression skill where you guard a target and try to keep them from getting away from you.

Quote from: lostinspace on June 22, 2016, 05:07:28 PM
I just want it with crossbows so we actually see them in game again and they fire pretty much instantly.
I could be wrong, but isn't the one advantage of a crossbow that you can carry something else in your other hand (e.g., a shield)?
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on June 22, 2016, 05:17:48 PM
Quote from: lostinspace on June 22, 2016, 05:07:28 PM
I just want it with crossbows so we actually see them in game again and they fire pretty much instantly.
I could be wrong, but isn't the one advantage of a crossbow that you can carry something else in your other hand (e.g., a shield)?
Depending on the crossbow
Also they don't require as much skill to use. Hit hard. You can put bayonets on them

I've never seen a crossbow with a bayonet on it outside of Dwarf Fortress mods.

The limb on a crossbow is pretty delicately balanced. It's not a piece of equipment you want to whack someone with. They're crazy strong and can take your head off if they come loose.

I doubt crossbows in Zalanthas are anything at all similar to modern or even medieval crossbows in our world. Working with bone and sinew just isn't going to do it and most woods can't maintain the flexibility under that much strain.

Even with a metal crossbow limb you can't leave it loaded and walk around that way for long. It warps and loses its ability to transfer energy to the projectile.

I've seen it in a picture on d&d but not irl

I think the only problem with the bayonet is that it would have to be fixed where the stirrup would go and that's going to compete for space.

I'd personally rather drop the crossbow and just go for the knife.