Discussion of Player Clans Expansion

Started by Xalle, June 20, 2016, 07:36:47 AM

There's countless benefits, both thematically, realistically and codedly to having a coded player clan with a warehouse/whatever versus a.. uhh.. apartment spam-craft empire.

Seeing this all getting fleshed out more really makes me want to get some of my ideas moving. I've pulled some interesting things off without coded indie clan support in the past, I can only imagine would could be accomplished with the tools in place to get it done right.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

July 06, 2016, 06:33:38 PM #51 Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 06:36:50 PM by Reiloth
Quote from: Miradus on July 06, 2016, 06:04:58 PM

Handholding.

Handholding could be spelled out more?

OK, why you need handholding from Staff (I'm assuming). Because -- It isn't an automated system like renting an apartment. Each iteration of a player clan is going to be different from the last. There are PC levels of interaction at play here -- The powers that be, whether that's a Templar or a Kuraci PC. It's a fluid system, because a static system would basically be a WoW 'Question Mark' NPC quest system in order to get your l33t warehouse space. The point of this whole system is the story behind it, not grinding to get a bunch of coin to unlock the next 'shopkeeper level'. Removing things like requiring your shopkeeper to only sell your/your clan's Master Crafts moves away from the elitist coin-mongering system and into a more flavorful, realistic quality. Having Staff around to guide you towards the vision of the game, rather than your own personal (OOC) ambitions to affect the game/make your claim to fame last, is a good thing. That's probably more than half of the reason Staff is around -- Quality Control.

Would you like to know more?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Want to add on a little more incentive for people to go the player clan created progression path instead of just being independent and working out of apartments? Once you hit Trading Company level you can buy a generic description small wagon. Then at MMH, you can get an argosy. I would really love to see more people travelling and transporting cargo via wagons. Loosing a wagon should get your ass handed to you, but it shouldn't necessarily be the end of the world either. We have the code for them, let's really use it.
Death is only the beginning...

The only reason I would want to go down this route is to get an NPC employee who sits on a rug in the bazaar and sells my shit.

But I don't really see a means of doing that a la cart. Am I missing something?

I think the main thing you're missing is something that either isn't for you, or you haven't developed it, which is having a real, concrete place in the game world.  What you're doing is fine, but after several times doing it, some people start to set their sights higher.

Also, it is a much better way to fully 'fit in' to the game world, and bring it to life more through your character's exploits.  Sure, it may take some extra time on your part, but that means what...less solo crafting, to send in reports instead?

Not blaming you, but as a long time player, I think these kinds of things, even if they may seem insignificant to some, are tremendous things to have around as an -option- even if they're not particularly well-used.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Oh yeah. Absolutely I love the option being in the game, even if it's one of a dozen features I am not likely to avail myself of.

That would be my hope in a game, that it's big enough for all types of players to find their niche and what they enjoy, and also to evolve or devolve or change it up as they go.