Elementalist Subguilds for Drov, Nilaz and Elkros

Started by wizturbo, June 17, 2016, 02:07:49 PM

How cool would it be if Drov, Nilaz and Elkros subguilds were added into the game?

The opposite of cool
10 (18.2%)
Not cool
2 (3.6%)
Neutral
6 (10.9%)
Cool
10 (18.2%)
Super cool
27 (49.1%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Quote from: Beethoven on June 19, 2016, 07:52:05 AM
... just because one spell could be pretty bullshit depending on who used it.

That spell could easily be nerfed without being gone.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I think putting all these spells where they currently are in game is fucking brilliant.

wizturbo the wizturrible, you know I usually have your back bruh, but this is so "the opposite of cool" that my balls will thaw sometime in the year 3572.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I just wanna be...
The very best...
That no one ever was.
RAISING DEAD IS MY QUEST
TO NECROMANCER IS MY CAUSE
I WILL TRAVEL
ACROSS THE LAND
REZZING FAR AND WIDE
TEACH THE WASTES TO UNDERSTAND
THE POWER THAT'S INSIDE
NECROMANCE!
A HEART BLACK AND BLUUUE
YOUR HORROR WILL SEE ME THROUGH
FUCK WITH ME AND I'LL END YOU
NEC-RO-MAAAAAAANCE
GOTTA REZ 'EM ALL
GOTTA REZ 'EM ALL
NECROMANCE

Anyone who can't figure on how to get around drovian spying has never played a drovian. It's far too easy to thwart "that spell" - it is literally as easy as lighting a torch thwarted magickal dark.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Quote from: bardlyone on June 21, 2016, 09:48:27 PM
Anyone who can't figure on how to get around drovian spying has never played a drovian. It's far too easy to thwart "that spell" - it is literally as easy as lighting a torch thwarted magickal dark.

Which would lead to a discussion on meta-knowledge of how to counter that spell and bad roleplay points.

It's just not a good thing to have around the game, when there are plenty of people trying to perform that role already.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

If you wanna counter magick, go ask a magicker. Then they'll tell you some nifty shits..

The mind worms are the fuckers you gotta watch out for.

Quote from: Armaddict on June 21, 2016, 09:50:14 PM
Quote from: bardlyone on June 21, 2016, 09:48:27 PM

Which would lead to a discussion on meta-knowledge of how to counter that spell and bad roleplay points.

It's just not a good thing to have around the game, when there are plenty of people trying to perform that role already.

I don't see how it's bad roleplay to whisper when you think someone's listening to you, but if you want to tell me, I'm all ears.
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Uhhhhhh.  No magick secrets.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I really hope that's not being directed at me, given that any time any of my characters think someone might be listening, they tend to whisper what they have to say - that's not specific to drovians. That's because the person who wants to hear it has to be LISTENing, and it makes it a lot harder to catch all of it. Magick, mundane, or otherwise.

I would probably rather all their spells were divided between sorcerer subs.

June 22, 2016, 03:16:29 AM #60 Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 03:20:11 AM by Armaddict
Uhm.

If all of spying was about the listen skill, then it would be really easy to find information gatherers.

I literally cannot count the number of times that 'This dude and this dude were talking in this place, where one of those dudes isn't normally supposed to be' has actually led somewhere, and that's as someone relying on stealth and unable to get close.

Edit to add: Am I the only one who tries to puzzle things together with incomplete information?  Sometimes when people ask you to spy, they aren't asking you to figure out an entire plot as much as provide them a bunch of details that look meaningless until you put them together like puzzle pieces.  Or rather...until they put together the pieces.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Yeah, I prefer the game without Drovians, the other two I don't mind at all. Pretty much for the reasons Armaddict said.

Quote from: Armaddict on June 22, 2016, 03:16:29 AM
Uhm.

If all of spying was about the listen skill, then it would be really easy to find information gatherers.

I literally cannot count the number of times that 'This dude and this dude were talking in this place, where one of those dudes isn't normally supposed to be' has actually led somewhere, and that's as someone relying on stealth and unable to get close.

Edit to add: Am I the only one who tries to puzzle things together with incomplete information?  Sometimes when people ask you to spy, they aren't asking you to figure out an entire plot as much as provide them a bunch of details that look meaningless until you put them together like puzzle pieces.  Or rather...until they put together the pieces.

All the time! I even did it when I played a drovian. I'd pop into the middle of something and catch the end of it without context. Then I'd go and report my interpretation of what was going on, to whoever I report to. My interpretation was always based on what I -thought- I was observing/hearing/whatevering. It was often wrong. And that was always fun. Exact same thing happens when I'm playing someone with uber listen skill, or totally awesome scan skill, or mondo magick skills that let you see all kinds of shit no one else can see, or simply be capable of going places most people can't go.

I always give them my character's perspective of what's going on, even if *I* the player know the actual facts and those facts aren't the same as the PC's perspective.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I love the flavor of Drovians. I think they can be altered to make great subguilds. Please don't write them off just because of the way they were because they could be changed and tweaked as the staff sees fit.

I admit, I didn't consider them being revamped first before being readded.

They've been this way for so long that I just didn't even put thought that perhaps someone creative would find a new way for shadows to be powerful in Arm.

I just know that particular thing was always...irritating.  I hated the line 'A drovian told me...' because it was something that was never questionable, despite them being the 'deceitful ones!' by documentation.  They were, simply put, the ones you wanted to send to spy on everything.  I want you guys to rely on the burglar to get through those doors, not a spell.

That's...kind of my theme for magick altogether.  I want the playerbase to -rely- on the mundane skills.  I want the spell to be an option that you're really not sure you're okay with using.  If you do use it, it's for desperation.

Derailing Story: I remember my noble getting pissed off in the copper wars because the vivaduans were making oasises (oasi?) for people to bathe in.  Just a total 'GET YOUR ASS OUT OF OUR DRINKING WATER YOU FILTHY FALE.' (or whatever it was).  He was already unnerved by the entire supply being dependent on mages...to see it being frivolously used for luxury without batting an eyelash was so mean to me.  Sadface.

Quote from: AdamBlue on June 21, 2016, 07:02:09 PM
I just wanna be...
The very best...
That no one ever was.
RAISING DEAD IS MY QUEST
TO NECROMANCER IS MY CAUSE
I WILL TRAVEL
ACROSS THE LAND
REZZING FAR AND WIDE
TEACH THE WASTES TO UNDERSTAND
THE POWER THAT'S INSIDE
NECROMANCE!
A HEART BLACK AND BLUUUE
YOUR HORROR WILL SEE ME THROUGH
FUCK WITH ME AND I'LL END YOU
NEC-RO-MAAAAAAANCE
GOTTA REZ 'EM ALL
GOTTA REZ 'EM ALL
NECROMANCE

I approve of this song. I was entertained.

On the subject at hand, my first choice is subguild Nilazi. They're the one magicker that everyone, everywhere, across the Known fears and hates. They're so bad that even Allanak won't gem them. They have the potential to be not merely scary, but horrifying.

I would also like to see Elkrosians and Drovians back in the game, from a perspective of how they round out the magickal lore. It's extremely interesting the balances found within all the elements and what each can do.

I don't have a lot of first-hand understanding of drovian spells, but if they are as adept at ruining plots as everyone says, then it would make sense to have them revised before getting added back in to the game.

Basically, I'd love to see magick subguilds for the elements which were cut.

As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

June 22, 2016, 07:33:39 PM #67 Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 07:35:53 PM by BadSkeelz
Quote from: Taven on June 22, 2016, 07:29:53 PM
On the subject at hand, my first choice is subguild Nilazi. They're the one magicker that everyone, everywhere, across the Known fears and hates.* They're so bad that even Allanak won't gem them. They have the potential to be not merely scary, but horrifying.

Theoretically. Too often I saw them befriended for their utility by Sorcerers, Mindworms, or other Elementalists.

Nilazi had a lot of spells they probably shouldn't have had. I'd only like to see them returned if they were reworked in to a stricter Void mage and a true antithesis of life and other Elements, and not the lame counter-intuitive hodgepodge they were.

I'd like to see nilazi subguild a really flesh them out. One for necromancy etc