Poisoned Weapons

Started by Dresan, June 16, 2016, 10:50:52 PM

I would like to be able to coat and effectively poison with axes and swords. However instead of a blanket change on every sword and axe in the game currently, perhaps a certain merchant could make new cool expensive weapon such as axes and sword that can hold and effective poison a target.

The point is with axes, swords and poison no longer being unique to any one particular guild thanks to sub-guilds it might be nice to see more variety in the weapons that can be used the poison skill.

help mastercraft
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Would be nice if they were more common then a once a month, once a character thing.

There are in fact swords/axes that can be used in conjunction with the poison skill. They're not common by any means but they do exist, I believe they were mastercraft creations as well. But if there's is a need for something, someone could very well fill that niche ig and see it gain some real traction. It's pretty cool when players do stuff like that.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Now if you mc a mace that can hold poison...well you win.

June 17, 2016, 05:08:41 AM #5 Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 05:11:26 AM by Dresan
Holding poison and actually being able to poison something are two different pieces of code. Most people get that confused, and think just because you can poision a sword it will poison things will slashing. It will not.

Back to my original idea though, I want to see axes and sword that can hold and poison things effectiviely in game be more common in game. Since they have not been CODEDLY possible in the past unless something changed in the last two months.

Having players fill a niche is a fair opinion but having played a merchant i dont think the mastercraft system is really the answer. I have never seeen an axe that can poison its target for a reason.

Poison spiked maced would just be deliciously OP.

I'm thinking it would be a morning star with hollow needles and a slot to put the liquid in, so you shake it up a bunch and it fills the needles up, hit some bare skin and it gets the poison in there.

Sounds complicated.

Realistically, how long would those hollow needles last after you banged it against someone's shield or a gortok skull?

There are certain <redacted> that seem to do pretty well with poisioning via a blunt force object.

You don't need hollow needles to deliver poison. All the Zalanthan poisons seem to work on any edge at fairly low dosages. I think this is mostly a code thing.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

What do the kryl use to deliver their venom? I know it's pretty dang effective whenever I run into kryl. :)

Quote from: Miradus on June 17, 2016, 10:50:37 AM
What do the kryl use to deliver their venom? I know it's pretty dang effective whenever I run into kryl. :)

Javascript.   :P

Quote from: seidhr on June 17, 2016, 10:52:17 AM

Javascript.   :P

Is "acquire javascript abilities" a valid dwarf focus?

Javascript           (novice)

:-[

What I would like to see is more varieties of poisons... sure, applying them to swords and axes would be baller.

As I abhor anything "deliciously OP" (I puked blood just typing that) I think blunt poisoners should be kept on a very limited/restrictive list.

But truly... more variety, guys.  Have a type of bloodburn that, instead of being applied as a thin coating of liquid, is more like a viscous paste.  Easier to apply it to axes/swords, and gives them the kick they need from the original post, but it should not be nearly as effective.  That sort of thing.  Also... poisons that create numbness (dropping agility and weapon/stealth skills) or muddle the mind partially (lowering scan/listen/crafting/mental oriented skills)

Also... fucking timers.  Can we get timers added to applied poisons much like the food code now has?  I'm sorry, but just because Amos the Salarr got a heramide dagger 4 fucking years ago does not mean that the crusty crap on his blade can still in any way be effective.  I would love to see poison degradation.

On the flip side, I would -adore- seeing a bonus to effectiveness applied to very recently (within 1 RL hour) applied poisons on a weapon.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Generally speaking...shortswords designated as 'slashing weapons' can be poisoned.  Not always the case, but a safer bet.

As far as chopping, I don't know of any, but that doesn't mean they're not there.  However, I don't think axes are really...a poisoner's weapon, either.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on June 17, 2016, 05:30:09 PM
Generally speaking...shortswords designated as 'slashing weapons' can be poisoned.  Not always the case, but a safer bet.

As far as chopping, I don't know of any, but that doesn't mean they're not there.  However, I don't think axes are really...a poisoner's weapon, either.

It'd be really nice for tomahawks and throwing axes, imho.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Also.  I concur with the poison degradation.  It would be nice to see people taken by surprise not be able to fall back on a disabling poison, and thus would make bodyguarding more necessary, and normal combat more prevalent.

It would also increase the value of bloodburn and weaker poisons, due to them being more common.  If we simultaneously made cures a little less reliable or easy to come by, poisoning would become a little more dynamic than it is now.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger