Open the goddamn gates at nighttime.

Started by RogueGunslinger, June 15, 2016, 03:13:51 PM

It will make the game better, I promise you.

Also, stop closing all the fucking shops at nighttime. Thanks.

You've made it so that night-time I would rather log out for.

I second that. In a lot of desert countries, the shops stay open late into the evening because that's when it's cool enough for people to come out.

The gates, well, I think the guards ought to be able to tell the difference between an invading army and a lone grebber.

Doesn't night-time last 10-20 minutes IRL?

Night-time for the shops is from the start of dusk to the start of dawn (30 mins IRL) if I recall correctly? I'd be very very very happy if the shops were closed only during "before dawn", or not at all.

Quote from: Hitsuchi on June 15, 2016, 03:22:29 PM
Night-time for the shops is from the start of dusk to the start of dawn (30 mins IRL) if I recall correctly? I'd be very very very happy if the shops were closed only during "before dawn", or not at all.

Oh. Yeah I guess that is a long time, then.

Even so... only the baddest of asses would risk being outside the gates past dusk, right? Aren't the sands supposed to be like... fucking dangerous? I always default to my character being scared shitless of being caught out in a storm outside the gates, and thus, always punctual. If they walk up to closed gates, it's a good time to RP a little anxiety/fear. Even if you're a tribal or used to being out in the open, being late to the gates closing is an IC thing.

The gates stay closed cuz Thrain like... stormed the castle, yo. (Note: not accurate)

I agree the shops should stay open.

June 15, 2016, 03:30:08 PM #5 Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 03:34:32 PM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: Vositus on June 15, 2016, 03:19:01 PM
30 minutes. Dusk - Late at night - Before dawn. But the problem extends well beyond that time.

You log in, you're a Byn Sergeant. You see that it's Early afternoon on Desert Survival day. You want to take your troopers and runners out for a bit of hunting but you KNOW you won't have enough time to get everyone together, get to the stable, doll out mount tickets and then be able to go do your shit and still get back in time. You could spend the night out there, as many do. But sometimes you just don't have the time to spend and would like to be able tog et everyone back to safety if you need to log out.

You log in. You're an indie hunter, it's late afternoon. Want to go out and be your indie self but 10 minutes will not be enough time to do what you need to do and still get back inside. So you check the bars, nobody is around, you way your friends, nobody is around. You try to sell that stockpile of burnblood leaves but "come back at dawn." You log back out because fuck that noise.

If all closing the gates is doing is adding a fraction of RP flavor to roleplay around, I'd say the OOC negatives VASTLY outweigh the IC positives.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 15, 2016, 03:30:08 PM
Quote from: Vositus on June 15, 2016, 03:19:01 PM
You log in, you're a Byn Sergeant. You see that it's Early afternoon on Desert Survival day. You want to take your troopers and runners out for a bit of hunting but you KNOW you won't have enough time to get everyone together, get to the stable, doll out mount tickets and then be able to go do your shit and still get back in time. You could spend the night out there, as many do. But sometimes you just don't have the time to spend and would like to be able tog et everyone back to safety if you need to log out.

I dunno, man. I think there is a clan that has the ability to open and close the gates. A relationship with said clan could probably fix that.

Or the gates could just, you know, stay open. That's a much easier solution. And I wouldn't' have to rely on a PC Templar being around.

I agree with keeping shops open at night but not with opening the gates. Night time is a prime time for raiding precisely because people can't just run into the safety of Allanak.

I've long wanted RSV's gates to remain open too.  I get there might be realism reasons for closing gates -- but then again, Luir's doesn't close its gates and its in the middle of gith county -- but what are the playibility positives for closing the gates?
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

The gates closing adds a real element of danger to being trapped outside with whatever/whoever else is out there. In the DAYS OF THE FANG, our meals primarily consisted of night-time salters. Just sayin. Personally, I wish all outposts/villages/towns closed up at night to add that extra danger to being outside.

Shopkeepers however add no benefit by being closed other than realism, I'm all for 24 hour shops or only closed at before dawn shops.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Yam on June 15, 2016, 03:44:40 PM
I agree with keeping shops open at night but not with opening the gates. Night time is a prime time for raiding precisely because people can't just run into the safety of Allanak.

... except there's a little village a few rooms away from Allanak packed with soldiers and those gates don't close.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on June 15, 2016, 03:48:42 PM

... except there's a little village a few rooms away from Allanak packed with soldiers and those gates don't close.

Yep. Not really buying the "danger of PvP" aspect. Spamming NWNWSESESWWWW will always be the ultimate raider escape.

Red Storm and Yaroch both close their gates at night.

June 15, 2016, 03:53:00 PM #14 Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 03:54:52 PM by Dresan
I wouldn't mind seeing a happy medium.

For example, the gates remain closed but there should be some spot around wall street that might be climable with enough skill. It would then be up to the player to ensure they have a mount stabled outside the walls.
Clanned members of suitable rank should be able to pay the gate guard a fee to have them open the gates to allow them and company to pass. #ClanPrivilagesOP

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 15, 2016, 03:50:42 PM

Yep. Not really buying the "danger of PvP" aspect. Spamming NWNWSESESWWWW will always be the ultimate raider escape.

I've run down people who have done this before. Not super difficult, especially if you have hunt and/or you poison them first.

Meh.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: BadSkeelz on June 15, 2016, 03:51:40 PM

What about the farm? Cenyr, clay mines, luirs.... I'm not sure if they all stay open but the point is there's still places that you can run to. There will always be safe places to run to and the safest place to run to will probably not be the city. Once you start running you're already safe 99.9% of the time.

Quote from: Dresan on June 15, 2016, 03:53:00 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a happy medium.

For example, the gates remain closed but there should be some spot around wall street that might be climable, thus making climb skill more useful. It would then be up to the player to ensure they have a mount stabled outside the walls.
Clanned members of suitable rank should be able to pay the gate guard a fee to have them open the gates to allow them and company to pass. #ClanPrivilagesOP

I'd be 100% for that for smugglers and criminals or whatnot, but it doesn't at all help your Byn Sergeant and his 10 runners.

Quote from: Yam on June 15, 2016, 03:54:19 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 15, 2016, 03:50:42 PM

I've run down people who have done this before. Not super difficult, especially if you have hunt and/or you poison them first.

It's super difficult if the person running knows what the hell they're doing. It's very, very easy to mess with the hunt skill, and everyone has poison tablets these days.

Eh, I dunno. I have definitely run people up to the closed gates of Allanak before, been run into them myself, and have had to deal with the annoyance of them closing while leading a unit of Bynners. I can see arguments on either side. I certainly wouldn't mind trying out open gates.

Shops should be open 24/7. I don't think having them closed at night (or for some, during the day) adds anything to the game except some wasted time.

What if the gates acted like clan-compounds gates for citizens, or if that too much then for certain clans liek AoD/Byn/GMH's and whatnot?

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 15, 2016, 04:06:13 PM
What if the gates acted like clan-compounds gates for citizens, or if that too much then for certain clans liek AoD/Byn/GMH's and whatnot?

This does have some serious appeal....
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I'm fine with the gates closing.

I'm fine with the shops closing.

What I would like is if the NPCs merchants despawned when they're closed, to go do their virtual thing. It's never not jarring to walk up with a big bag of money, find them standing at the counter but refusing to do business... as they stare off into the void for thirty minutes. They'll even talk to you to tell you they're closed. There are scripts that spawn and despawn npcs at X/Y time of day, so it'd be nice if it was applied to shops that close for the evening.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

If there ever was a radical expansion of Allanak, it would be cool as fuck if they decided to add some out-of-city clan areas secreted away, in case Allanak was a bit much. I know the Byn has one, and for a while there was some serious potential with it, and I'm surprised it wasn't followed through with.
Major Clans should all have little 'safehouses'. Places they can gtfo to that are very bare-bones and boring, but can be used for whatever. You're a Fale Noble with a little safe house? Let's turn it into his personal spice-hut that later Fale can explore and find tons and tons of spice. You're a Salaar? Well, this new secret weapon I'm working on is even secret to my comrades inside the city! Ultra secret!

RGS: Though frustrated you may be, there's probably better more constructive ways of asking about this. I know that I personally read your post and thought "Yeah, I agree, but what an asshat."

In a desert world, desert setting in general, a 'nighttime market' is not uncommon, as the daytime heat drives most people to shade and indoors. It never made sense to me that people go home at night, or that markets don't open at night and close during the day. Having vendors vary in this respect (many vendors close during the day, open at night, some open during the day, close at night), rather than the norm being 'everyone is open during the day and closes at night' might add some dynamics to the static NPC marketplace.

Tuluk's gates never closed unless a threat was nearby, and I never saw it as being a problem. I'd rather have Templars capable of closing a gate, then needing to be sought out to open it.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

June 15, 2016, 06:22:38 PM #24 Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:32:29 PM by nauta
Quote from: BadSkeelz on June 15, 2016, 03:51:40 PM

RSV does, but Yaroch doesn't, at least not any more.  (Which is strange now that I think about it, since I seem to recall at the festival hosted there two years ago the gates closing being sort of an annoying thing.)

Nevermind, apparently with Yaroch you can't enter when the gates are closed but you are allowed to leave.  How parochial!