You remember you have spice on you.

Started by nauta, June 07, 2016, 01:32:37 PM

June 07, 2016, 01:32:37 PM Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 01:55:15 PM by nauta
Idea:

1. When you come close to entering the gates of Allanak, the code that runs to crimflag you would run as a warning, and you'd receive an echo:

You feel as if moving that much spice into Allanak would be a mistake.
You remember you still have spice in your silver-coined purse!

2. Or, perhaps, some small clarification on the crim-code for spice in the help file -- does it check all quantities everywhere on your person?  Will a grain get you the same response as a thal-knot?  do the guards check everywhere on your person (-- I suspect some veterans might know tricks similar to the tricks I was taught about smuggling in water through the east gate, which, thank goodness that's gone, I've now forgotten)?  do you get smashed or just hauled off to prison?  will nosave arrest prevent smashing?

Motivation: I wonder if the reluctance to take up spice habits among the common population, despite its price drop, has to do with (at least in part) the worry that the crim-code is brutal, efficient, and, for all extents and purposes, fatal, either to your reputation, or maybe even to your character coupled with the OOC fact that both sometimes we just forget we have spice on our characters (e.g., Salarr hunter smoking up in the apartment, forgot they were still holding half a smoked tube -- leaves the gate, comes back, goink) and also looking around for spice on our character's person is a bit of a PITA (open pack; get pouch pack; l in pouch; etc. etc.)!  

(I myself have no idea what the crim-code is with regard to spice, as I've only accidentally (i.e. forgotten I had it on me in one case, had a bag given to me unnoticed in the second case) moved spice twice over the span of two years and received two very different responses (tossed into a bugged room the first time; let off scot free the second time).)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I think this runs along the same lines as "remembering" or "forgetting" that you were wearing visible magickal effects on yourself on your way back into the city. You run the risk of getting caught and it's up to -you- to remember to check. Some of the fun (though certainly not all) is running the risk of getting caught. If you eliminate that risk entirely for everyone, then no one would ever get caught. And that'd be pretty darned boring for the Templars and PC soldiers accompanying them, if there's no one in jail to harrass/extort/threaten.

You can set up a trigger client-side that sends you a reminder whenever your character walks into a room with a gate but again - you have to remember to pay attention to the trigger, and not spam-walk in.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

June 07, 2016, 03:45:11 PM #2 Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 03:51:10 PM by Desertman
I like it how it is.

I always thought of it as chalking it up to, "My character doesn't have any more of a perfect memory than I do.".

Sometimes I forget someone's name in game and I just roll with it as my character forgetting their name.

If my Bynner goes on a bender and doesn't leave the gates for a month and then suddenly they are in a rush to leave and they don't even think about the grain of spice in their aba pocket that has been there forever.....then that's just them forgetting.

I was listening to a Podcast with Steve O (who several characters could relate to lol) this morning and he explained he has a felony cocaine charge on his record because when he got arrested for vandalism he simply forgot he had the cocaine in his pocket.

The cops even offered to let him go change clothes before they took him to jail so he wouldn't be so cold and he declined only later to realize it would have been the perfect time to discover and do away with the cocaine he had on him.

They didn't find the cocaine and he didn't even know he had it on himself until they got him in the jail and into processing.

tldr: People actually forget they have drugs on them now....especially if they are the types of people who are doing hard drugs....like spice....it's already realistic.

Now, I do think we need to do something about the insta-kill issue with having spice on you when you go through the gates, but that is a different conversation/different problem.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

There is no insta-kill issue with regards to getting caught coming through the gates with spice. Your default for your character is the no-resist for arrests. You have to manually unflag that in order to resist an arrest. Of course if you do that, it's up to you to remember you did that, and toggle it back to the default if you're planning on doing something you could get arrested for :)

Quote from: Lizzie on June 07, 2016, 03:54:10 PM
There is no insta-kill issue with regards to getting caught coming through the gates with spice. Your default for your character is the no-resist for arrests. You have to manually unflag that in order to resist an arrest. Of course if you do that, it's up to you to remember you did that, and toggle it back to the default if you're planning on doing something you could get arrested for :)

I've seen this fail more than once.....I'm not sure why it fails, but on more than a handful of occasions I have seen people with the no-save arrest flag in place get hacked to death by soldiers instead of subdued and arrested.

I don't see what we lose by people being randomly ganked in the street for their own decisions.

Damnit. I'm agreeing with bad skeelz.  ;D
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on June 07, 2016, 04:58:31 PM
Damnit. I'm agreeing with bad skeelz.  ;D

Thirded.

Yeah, this isn't really needed, is it?  Making the game easier?
Where it will go

Quote from: BadSkeelz on June 07, 2016, 04:10:47 PM
I don't see what we lose by people being randomly ganked in the street for their own decisions.

Lots of storylines for one.  I'd be sad to see a plot die over a forgotten half-smoke tube of spice.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

I'd like to see more spice usage, and I know that I've at least shied away from it either (1) out of concern of making an OOC mistake or (2) out of confusion/naivity about how the crim-code actually works.  (If I knew I wouldn't get ROFLstomp'd for having a pinch in my inventory by mistake, I might be more prone towards pursuing the habit in-game with a character.)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

June 07, 2016, 06:33:23 PM #11 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:13:24 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: nauta on June 07, 2016, 06:30:26 PM
I'd like to see more spice usage, and I know that I've at least shied away from it either (1) out of concern of making an OOC mistake or (2) out of confusion/naivity about how the crim-code actually works.  (If I knew I wouldn't get ROFLstomp'd for having a pinch in my inventory by mistake, I might be more prone towards pursuing the habit in-game with a character.)

This is the kind of thing that really makes me -against- your idea. There's a whole side of Armageddon involving the "seedier side" of civilization. The point of their existence is to accommodate your character's interest in spice, so your character doesn't have to do it him/herself.

How about just - accept that spice is illegal in Allanak, and RP it from there. Take your risks, or don't, but accept that at some point your character, having taken the risk, might lose.

This is likely in reference to the fact that spice prices and availability were changed to attempt to make it more commonplace, but it isn't. It IS illegal, but its still supposed to be more than a flavor thing. And it isn't.

It isn't.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

The only problem I see with the gate guards are twits who plant spice on people in Luir's or Red Storm for the lulz.

Otherwise the guards are easily circumvented if you're paying attention.

What I would like is an expansion of the key command so that it checks containers on you. Show that you have a <keyword> in your belt, pack, cloak, etc. Be useful for more things than just spice too.

A hell yes to that idea.
Where it will go

Quote from: BadSkeelz on June 07, 2016, 07:37:23 PM
The only problem I see with the gate guards are twits who plant spice on people in Luir's or Red Storm for the lulz.

Otherwise the guards are easily circumvented if you're paying attention.

What I would like is an expansion of the key command so that it checks containers on you. Show that you have a <keyword> in your belt, pack, cloak, etc. Be useful for more things than just spice too.

This - would actually be an awesome idea. If the guards can pat you down THAT easily to check to see if you have contraband, you should be able to pat yourself down just as easily to check for the same stuff. Since you are already in control of your own characters' movements, it would make sense to be a command, and not something that happens automatically. It still should be up to you, to choose to pat yourself down or not. (and it should be up to you to remember whether or not to do it).

A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

June 08, 2016, 10:16:34 AM #18 Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:23:40 AM by Chettaman
*I only don't like this idea because it takes away or inspires a sort of choice people get to make. You get to the gate, you're reminded and then you get to choose whether you get caught or not. So I have suggestions to fix the problem of people not using spice as often as you'd like that has nothing to do with your suggested code and I hope no one minds. - after a short tale of a long dead character.

I used to have a dood that would walk the streets of - uh. Everywhere. He had a tube everywhere, not only was the tube in his Tdesc lit or unlit out of his mouth, but with one actually in his hair slot. He'd change this when getting passed the "check point", but other than that I just emoted being sly and looking out for anyone that would get me in trouble.
He was an elf too. It was weird that he never got ratted on.

I want to say that people are just codedly afraid to get caught, but I am here to tell you! ... it is a bit unrealistic to roleplay walking the streets of allanak with a tube of spice in your mouth. I did run alot. Just saying. - It isn't however, crazy to walk around with it in your pocket for consumption in dark alleys or abandoned buildings with other junkies. Just don't go passed the check points.

- with that said. I would like to see that people who have already been in the city don't get checked while moving passed said check points.
- I would also like to make spice more addictive with a tag that lasts longer than the initial affect of it having worn off.
* You're sitting in the gaj a day or so after having smoked spice and coming down from it.
> You feel an itch in your nose
> You get a craving for <insert spice used>
> You cough (smoker's cough?)

Of course, I don't know how spice addiction and RL whatever addiction compares to one another. Just suggestions from your local Chettaman.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

These two suggestions are far better than (1) in my main post -- the echo giving you a warning.  I still do think (2) some documented clarification on the crim-code would be good.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on June 07, 2016, 07:37:23 PM

This would eliminate a lot of what I find so annoying about being a casual spice user in Allanak.  Here's a scenario: you are pulling off a spice scene in an apartment, then your boss says: hey, let's go for a hunt!  So you switch scenes, but then you can't remember if you put the spice in your pouch in your pack in a pouch in your pack, maybe in your cloak.  It'd be just nice to do:

k self spice

You know what else this would benefit?  Thieves!  I mentioned a year or so ago that one frustrating thing about playing a thief was that the mark would rarely notice the item missing, since the chances of accidentally misplacing an item was higher than the chance that you got pinched from a PC.

Quote from: Chettaman on June 08, 2016, 10:16:34 AM
- with that said. I would like to see that people who have already been in the city don't get checked while moving passed said check points.
Yeah, that's spot on.

Considering how hard it already is to enforce spice law as a soldier in allanak, I don't want it to be any easier for smuggling to occur.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

How about people not carry a ton of stuff on them and forget what they have on them?  I feel that people need to realize what they have on themselves, just as in real life  If I had drugs on me and forgot I had them on me, then walked through a police checkpoint, then it's my own fault for forgetting.  Now if I see a police checkpoint in-front of me, I can easily just check my pockets, backpack, or whatever other containers at a glance, just like anyone can with the keyword command.

Plus I can't remember when we announced it, but the front gate guard isn't as attentive as it once was before.

The code works as it is, and it's been made to be fair to the sense of the game world.  It's up to the players to play their PC.  This is like when we put up a warning of people so people don't spam walk off the Shield Wall, because too many people didn't pay attention to their surroundings and walked an entire group off of it killing most of them.  Lets not even talk about the big holes in the ground.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

Quote from: Harmless on June 08, 2016, 02:06:17 PM
Considering how hard it already is to enforce spice law as a soldier in allanak, I don't want it to be any easier for smuggling to occur.

I have to disagree with you.  I know the rules that Soldiers have.  If you are in the AoD clan and have a problem with one of the rules, you should bring that up with your Clan Staff for clarification.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

Ath, you are an unreasonable lout....furthermore, I vehemently resist the notion that I should have to watch where I am going....you should put in code so that I don't have to. It is 2016 Sir, and by the good Lord's grace I should be able to login and have everything given to me....and I want it NOW!

Poppycock I do say....complete poppycock.

I will use this to say that the trend towards newbie friendly doesn't have to make it so that we're making facerolling a viable way of playing the game.  I never wanted this game to tell me everything I needed to know in any situation, I wanted to have to think things through.

However, that being said, I disagree with the OP in that spice should have a warning, but I think things that -get you arrested for spice- should be readily identifiable as spice; there are lots of items in game that will get you killed or caught at the gates that you'd never guess were something you'd get crimcoded for.  You can say that such is the learning curve, but I doubt every soldier has every piece of that shit identified to them, and it's really frustrating not to even know which item it was that got you screwed.

So.  If it's flagged as spice, call it spice or spice-like, please.  We don't need prompting, but we don't need super ambiguous things for no reason, either.  This is how I lost my last half-giant, was literally by picking up a pack off a body, searching it, and having some item or another (which I still haven't identified) flagged as a spice.  Half-giants get killed a lot more by crimcode, which may be an anomoly to ignore, but I think it's a silly practice for surprise fuck-yous in the itemization of the game itself.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger