Plot ideas.

Started by Hauwke, May 28, 2016, 07:11:17 PM

So after reading the Known history and player involvement thread, I figure one thing that can be done is to simply give ideas on things to do.

Idea 1:
  Have a major house, not a currently active clan mind you, because that would ruin current rp that people enjoy, and have a -huge- event. Spanning several Rl days. Something like a seige on the nobles quarters, or even just on the rinth, or maybe the other way around, have The Guild for example cause a riot in front of the nobles quarter.

Idea 2:
Have the Red Fangs come back for a few rl days, where upon we kill the very last remaining ones who are trying to cause discord in Allanak, of course the Red fangs would need to be Staff controlled or Player controlled by trusted people who -expect- to fail in the end but will go down kicking and screaming and clawing until a horde of pcs all type k elf after hours of hopefully epic rp.

Idea 3:
Have The Highlord throw a temper tantrum causing some random things to fall from the sky, ridiculous things of stupid value like gold goblets encrusted with flawless diamonds and stuff and watch the playerbase kill each other and band together in the hopefully ensuing (hopefully mostly non lethal) riots and fighting as the arm tries to maintain peace amongst the commoners who want the things really bad.

Tl;dr post ideas or something, even if this is never looked at seriously, get creative on something you would love to happen IG that has a large effect.

This focuses on how to start a plot in general, but it has some examples too.
http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,39957.msg926211.html#msg926211

Dungeon crawls are always fun, if they're spaced out and have a varied lead-up.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

That is a good thread suggestion, Nice to see im not the first to have this idea.

Another idea: Set up a system of fetch quests, give the dispenser type thing to an npc with infinite money, but limit it to one quest per rl week or day or something and make it so you have to fetch something like an amethyst or something and it gives an appropriate pay out. Idk a way of giving some bored soul something to work on.
Yes I know it seems rpg'y but it could work if you put the right spin on it.

I pitched that some time ago and I think <clan> decided to give it a shot for a while actually, as a one-off event. They claimed to need <item> and were willing to pay for as many of them as people could bring.

It does -kind of- exist, already, as the palmfuls of purple salt, the glass and sid, the cloth and armor in Storm... I remember being generally shot down for this idea for it being too gamey.

I just keep two games and a video open on my desktop and that seems to work for my attention-deficit self fine.

I've said it before and I'll say it a gain.

Have a biiiiig long race for a buuuuunch of money. Huge stakes. Outside of the walls. No supervision. Just who's first and who's not.
Part-Time Internets Lady

Quote from: QuillDipper on May 28, 2016, 11:33:18 PM

Have a biiiiig long race for a buuuuunch of money. Huge stakes. Outside of the walls. No supervision. Just who's first and who's not.
+ 1 to this dude. I envision wacky racer esque things happening maybe.

be a shame if someone poisoned all your mounts.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: Hauwke on May 28, 2016, 11:38:40 PM

+ 1 to this dude. I envision wacky racer esque things happening maybe.

"Why is the fellow on the erdlu ahead of us?" "His erdlu relieved itself before we started. Nobody else's mount did.".

I +2 this.
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

Sure it's been done, but I love the plot where there's an object of huge value and desirability (like a cloak of invisibility for trite example or a horn that can raise the dead). Then seeing it change hands and pass through the playerbase as it (usually) floats upward is really interesting and fun. It's exciting adventuring after or stealing something so valuable keeping it is a death sentence.

Perhaps that would be an idea, instead of the goblet thing in my idea maybe have some kick ass artifacts go down, like books perhaps. Give dman his blasted literacy on his current character if he can race all the neckers to it.

Oh my goodness. A reading primer book that acted like a teaching skill for reading would be a ridiculously fun item to try and deal with for a short while.

Quote from: path on May 29, 2016, 11:15:48 AM
Sure it's been done, but I love the plot where there's an object of huge value and desirability (like a cloak of invisibility for trite example or a horn that can raise the dead). Then seeing it change hands and pass through the playerbase as it (usually) floats upward is really interesting and fun. It's exciting adventuring after or stealing something so valuable keeping it is a death sentence.

There were things like this once upon a time, and I agree, they could be cool. They also could be lame -- People will obviously do everything they possibly can to get the magick/weird item, even if it wouldn't make sense for them to do so, especially in places like Tuluk where Magick was reviled -- You'd see people do some funky things to get things into their possession. I mean, they are cool items, so maybe I don't blame them?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~