The Cold and Damaging Yourself

Started by TheWanderer, May 04, 2016, 10:55:51 AM

A city of elementals that exists up in the mountains where instead of currency they drain your life force from you to pay for services, which temporarily lowers your max HP?

Quote from: Pale Horse on May 04, 2016, 07:05:09 PM
Quote from: AdamBlue on May 04, 2016, 06:48:18 PM
One of these days, it should just straight up fucking snow in Zalanthas and freak everyone the fuck out.

We ended up with a new moon when it rained.

Any bets on what'll happen with snow?  A new city?  A cold city.

Accepting summons for Amos of the Boreal Valley plz soapstone

We have to link the First Frost so that the Age of Water can come again

Go slay the three immortal kings for their lord souls and release the stolen defiling energy back into the land

There's no need to appeal to "magick," "fantasy," or other hand-wavey things here.  All you have to do is watch one IC day cycle.  Nights on Zalanthas are about 1/3 as long as the day.  There isn't enough time to get that cold before the sun comes up again.

Quote from: catchall on May 06, 2016, 10:27:24 AM
There's no need to appeal to "magick," "fantasy," or other hand-wavey things here.  All you have to do is watch one IC day cycle.  Nights on Zalanthas are about 1/3 as long as the day.  There isn't enough time to get that cold before the sun comes up again.

+1.   

Day to night ratios are about the same in most places on earth with 15-16 hours of sunlight per day during the Summer to 8ish hours of dark. As others have said, it doesn't get "cold" at night in earth desert climates, it just gets less hellish. And the "weather" command corroborates this in game. Zalanthas is running pretty similar to earth in regards to the behavior of the temperature. There's reaaally nothing to discuss here...
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

This has been brought up before (not the cold, but the self-damage) and there have been plenty of times I would have loved something exactly like this.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Okay, but, uh, deserts rapidly cool down within the first hour or so - rock and sand quickly lose the heat they've gathered.

If the Zalanthian desert begins slowly cooling during dusk and continues to do so during the first hour of night, it might not drop to the 40s/lower 50s of real deserts, but it could hold at the upper 50s/mid 60s in its final hour.

I guess what you consider cold is subjective, but there's no doubt that the denizens of a place that sits at roughly 120 degrees during the day are going to notice the drop.

whatever. i realized I don't really care anymore.

--------

As for the second part, yes. I've wanted to be able to damage myself on numerous occasions.

bloodletting2016
Whatever happens, happens.

A way to represent how fucked I get by some npc interaction? Hell yeah.
A way to represent a blow I believe should have hurt me real bad? Hell yeah.
A way to commit honorable sudoku? Maybe.

I spend a lot of time on the southern edge of the Sahara.  It gets hot, especially this time of year. It does cool off a bit at night..EXCEPT  when we have a lot of dust or cloud cover.

Now I don't know about clouds in Zalanthas, yet there is dust.  And I have spent all too many nights sweating in my cot when the temperature at night stays well above 100 degrees due to dust.

As mentioned, there are areas of the game where it gets cold at night.  Using a bit of logic should let you know where.

However, even though Arm is a MUD and has lots of nice code, some things you just have to totally RP.  It would be nice to see this happen more often.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."