I was reading about coffee for two hours last night.

Started by The Silence of the Erdlus, April 27, 2016, 12:59:01 PM

My idea is a café in Allanak, or coffeehouse, and it serves three different liquids--- blonde, regular and dark coffee.

That's basically it. Maybe have it run by someone who isn't a dwarf or an elderly male for once.

They'd all be cheap (real-life coffee takes a lot of water, but in zalanthas nothing needs that much water and lives) but regular would be cheaper, and blonde or dark would be the most expensive, just like all those teas we have in game, so many varieties--- yet we don't have coffee!

We had coffee available for a coded human tribe I think so the code for one of the liquids has already been made.

Can add tea, too, to the menu. Maybe have the wheat famine be finally over and serve the small, hard roll object there. I don't really see an Allanaki café being classy enough to serve fresh rolls with jam on them like the Lucky Ghatti.

Your opinion? Any ideas? Maybe this is the venue that could have a half-giant chair in it.

Run by a red-haired hottie with big boobs. Also someone (npc) is playing a little drum music. One of the table and chair sets are just boxes and upside-down crates. The tarp is ragged enough to see through--- add a bit of poverty. Just a touch, more class than the Gaj and less than Red's.

Or--- have it be a Zalanthan Hooter's. All the waiters and waitresses emphasize their bodies as they serve, although the place has no upstairs and isn't known for servers going home with the customers. In the wild west they had taverns where you could go upstairs with the serving girls, and ones where you didn't.

I wouldn't be anathema to another place that's as low-class as it gets though.

Stay away from that stuff, coffee is worse than Meth.

Having multiple taverns open in a city just spreads people out and overcomplicates things.  I'd rather enhance the current taverns than make new ones - maybe someone can mastercraft some orange booty shorts and low cut tops.

(Just kidding, don't do that)

In fairly recent history you could have found out about a lot of this IC.

I recommend looking around in-game for things related to this.

I know for a fact the possibility exists you can discover some of this.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: seidhr on April 27, 2016, 02:05:28 PMI'd rather enhance the current taverns than make new ones

More coffee and tea-related drinks available in popular watering holes would be great.

Maybe fermented milk as well, and a wider variety of drinks in general.

(what ever happened to jik?)

Can master chefs craft drinks? If so I'd say this would be a totally legit thing to try to get added into existing places (there are some that would suit that I can think of off the top of my head) as a character goal.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I believe drinks fall under the skill of Brew which is not open to mastercrafts unless you are a member of House herbs-or-whatever-in-Tuluk. (This may have been changed since I last looked at it. It was RL years the last time I looked this up.)

Can confirm: no mastercrafting on the brew skill and no mastercrafting of liquids (at least at this time).

BTW, there is a tribe that has bright orange hot skirts and skimpy tops.  Find out IC!

Also, re: Desertman, I wouldn't even know where to start finding out IC about coffee in the game, other than to send in a request.  I mean to say: I would've thought going around asking for 'coffee' would be hard to do, since I'm not sure if characters would know about coffee (as it's not in the documentation).

Re OP: I'm sure it's come up before, but coffee originated (in the modern form we love at least) among desert cultures, so, in my view, it makes a lot of sense.  I'd be against yet-another-bar though.

Finally, qat.  There's an herb in the game that strikes me as very qat-like, but you can't eat it. I've always loved qat.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on April 27, 2016, 02:55:44 PM
Also, re: Desertman, I wouldn't even know where to start finding out IC about coffee in the game, other than to send in a request.  I mean to say: I would've thought going around asking for 'coffee' would be hard to do, since I'm not sure if characters would know about coffee (as it's not in the documentation).

All I can do is assure you that your answers do exist in the game world.

How you might want to find out one way or the other is completely up to you.

The Turks and Arabs imported their beans from fairly humid regions. They weren't growing it out of the sand and dry scrub that makes up 95% of Zalanthas.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on April 27, 2016, 03:09:07 PM
The Turks and Arabs imported their beans from fairly humid regions. They weren't growing it out of the sand and dry scrub that makes up 95% of Zalanthas.

Ethiopia, mainly, IIRC

Quote from: Desertman on April 27, 2016, 03:07:19 PM

Yeah, I've actually been asked inside the game about 'coffee'.  I was making the more general point, and not very clearly, though, which might be put more succinctly:

If it isn't in the documentation, or even hinted at there, then how are we to know it is a legitimate term and not something anachronistic/imported from the real world, like, e.g., sandwiches or opium or corn or marijuana/hashish? 

Even very obscure things like methelinoc poison (see the Poison help file) are mentioned in the help files.

I'm guessing the solution is to use common sense first and then ask staff via a request before you go about asking for, e.g., the whereabouts of this plant called 'corn' inside the game.

(Another example: cloves and cinnamon.  There are smell echoes that say certain things smell like cloves and cinnamon, but no cloves or cinnamon in the documentation as kinds of herbs/plants.  I wasn't sure if I should use the terms 'cloves' and 'cinnamon' so I asked staff via a request.  I forget the answer.)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

April 29, 2016, 09:42:18 AM #14 Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 09:45:21 AM by Desertman
Quote from: nauta on April 29, 2016, 09:36:00 AM
Quote from: Desertman on April 27, 2016, 03:07:19 PM
Also, re: Desertman, I wouldn't even know where to start finding out IC about coffee in the game, other than to send in a request.  I mean to say: I would've thought going around asking for 'coffee' would be hard to do, since I'm not sure if characters would know about coffee (as it's not in the documentation).

Yeah, I've actually been asked inside the game about 'coffee'.  I was making the more general point, and not very clearly, though, which might be put more succinctly:

If it isn't in the documentation, or even hinted at there, then how are we to know it is a legitimate term and not something anachronistic/imported from the real world, like, e.g., sandwiches or opium or corn or marijuana/hashish?  

Even very obscure things like methelinoc poison (see the Poison help file) are mentioned in the help files.

I'm guessing the solution is to use common sense first and then ask staff via a request before you go about asking for, e.g., the whereabouts of this plant called 'corn' inside the game.

(Another example: cloves and cinnamon.  There are smell echoes that say certain things smell like cloves and cinnamon, but no cloves or cinnamon in the documentation as kinds of herbs/plants.  I wasn't sure if I should use the terms 'cloves' and 'cinnamon' so I asked staff via a request.  I forget the answer.)

That's a good point.

I'm also not entirely sure how valid it is to use certain RL terms to describe certain RL things that exist in-game that might not have those same names.

For example, there is a root that is fairly common that gives every single indication it is in fact a RL yellow onion, but I have never heard anyone in-game call it an onion. In fact, I've never heard anyone call it anything.

I wonder if it would be OK to call it an onion?

In the case of this root/bulb, it is so incredibly common and found so regularly that I'm pretty sure every person in the Known world would have seen it and there would be a name for it....we just don't have one as far as I know, but it should be an incredibly common well known name.

Coffee and whatever aside, the general question you have presented here is interesting.

I might as well ask, "Dear staff, what in the hell is the name of that onion? You know the one I mean.". Thanks - Dman.

Quote from: Desertman on April 29, 2016, 09:42:18 AM
I might as well ask, "Dear staff, what in the hell is the name of that onion? You know the one I mean.". Thanks - Dman.

We had a discussion on this a bit ago on the gdb.  If you perform the 'craft' command on the bulb in question, you'll discover that it produces a certain powder that another bulb (which DOES have a name in the game in its sdesc, although I don't want to use it on the gdb, so let's call it a Schweaty Bulb; Schweaty Bulbs also smell like onions) produces -- so I've always assumed those bulbs are just two of the same kind -- I've taken to calling the ones baby Schweaty Bulbs and the other Schweaty Bulbs.

The funny twist is that Schweaty Bulbs -- the one that is clearly named in its sdesc as Schweaty  -- are NOT a RL Schweaty Bulb!

Can confirm: no mastercrafting on the brew skill and no mastercrafting of liquids (at least at this time).

Didn't they change this this year?

That answer was given to me about a month ago.

Ugh. Now I gotta kidnap someone just to prove it can be done well.

I imagine it would be difficult to gain the proper facilities to brew, really.
Part-Time Internets Lady

May 03, 2016, 10:28:08 PM #21 Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:33:30 PM by gotdamnmiracle
From the help documents on the mainsite.

BLACKSWEET

(Seasonings)

This mixture of coffee and honey is rarely appreciated by those outside the tribe, although most Tan Muark swear by its effect on otherwise bland food.

(Commonly used by the Tan Muark)

Now it's on you to do the legwork and make a dwarf whose focus is to keep the Known awake.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

"coffee and honey "
"Rarely appreciated"
Who's the idiot who turned down coffee and honey?