Bounty Hunter or Gladiator?

Started by The Silence of the Erdlus, April 20, 2016, 07:05:17 PM

Pick one you would most like to be if you could do your job anytime

Bounty Hunter
27 (73%)
Gladiator
10 (27%)

Total Members Voted: 36

I wish our player population was large enough to warrant these two jobs as something you could keep fed and watered on outside of special temporary circumstances. I pick bounty hunter, for the rp opportunities, and because as a gladiator, I would probably play a hopeless gladiator, which is not something I'm interested in doing.

I would love to play a bounty hunter, if there were enough bounties to make it feasible. It seems like the perfect gig for someone who wants to explore the game world
Part-Time Internets Lady

I routinely play bounty hunters, but you are correct in that it being your sole source of employment is not really doable at this point.

That's because there's both not a lot of people placing bounties and not a lot of people doing things that bounties are effective for.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I've played two characters that survived solely off of bounty hunting and were quite successful.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Gladiator, simply because: I lurvs me shum rena timez watching that thar guy whallop stuffs ayup.

April 20, 2016, 09:27:14 PM #5 Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:29:17 PM by Inks
Bounty hunting and assassination is really fun for me. The negotiation, planning stage, the investigation, the execution and the escape plan. All of these things working together are just so much fun to play out. I have played a pretty prolific assassin in the past, and I really enjoyed the role. It was the first PC I had ever Pk'ed on, not my usual thing, but the role demanded a lot of killing.

Gladiator is an interesting role but one I haven't had a chance to do yet. I am excited about the possibilities, however.

I like the bounty hunting role because you can be several different sorts of guilds/ subguilds, and approach bounty hunting in different ways every time depending on your PC.

Bounty hunter would be fun if any rich folk ever had a hole burning in their pockets and started putting out bounties on NPCs.

Bounty Hunter.

There's definitely far fewer bounties to be had these days, especially with Tuluk closed. Less people crossing the world, making an ass of themselves, and fetching a price on their head. Also, with no official enemy city anymore, there's less and less of a reason to issue "legal" bounties. The best you can hope for these days, really, is the occasional mul, rogue witch, or Stormer. (Usually your target will be 2/3 of those categories. :p) 

I did give it a try with a character not too long ago and was able to drum up a few. (To be fair, I had a hand in creating one of them...) They weren't publicly listed, but I think it's a role where you have to rub shoulders with the right people to get jobs... Also, I think you have to be a little loose with your definition of the term "bounty" since, as I said, fewer and fewer rewards are actually issued by the Templarate...
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

There is definitely a lot less legal bounty work since people can't betray their city and flee to the other one, nowadays.

April 21, 2016, 04:32:32 AM #9 Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 04:38:33 AM by QuillDipper
Yeah if there was more of a general bounty or group vs group dynamic between two major factions it would make bounty hunting very cool, because then you dont have to advertise yourself or skill up and prove yourself necessarily, its just a matter of going out and finding NPCs/PCs of that group.

But therein lies the problem of either too much PK or farming NPC spawns, which, via staff intervention, can be fixed (enforcers of that group hunting down particularly successful hunters), but in general its better to avoid those kinds of problems.

I once toyed with the idea of a Dasari Noble hiring PCs to gather 'test subjects' of specific varieties, which not only gets past farming but it could be done non-lethally, which makes it A. Harder, B. Less Easy to Explot, and C. Available to do via legit means or even by kidnapping. It would be harder to do in Allanak, since there's no House as 'mad scientist' as I thought of the Dasari, but something of that ilk could make some fun RP
Part-Time Internets Lady

Plot twist: All of the houses in Nak are crazy.
If you kill random people and take their money you can consider your self a bounty hunter if you believe enough.

Quote from: Jihelu on April 21, 2016, 08:52:28 AM
If you kill random people and take their money you can consider your self a bounty hunter if you believe enough.

sing (as he calmly knocks another arrow and looses it at the back of a fleeing peasant's knee) Don't stop believing, / hold on to that fee-lay-ay-ay-an-ang!
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on April 21, 2016, 03:03:37 PM
Quote from: Jihelu on April 21, 2016, 08:52:28 AM

sing (as he calmly knocks another arrow and looses it at the back of a fleeing peasant's knee) Don't stop believing, / hold on to that fee-lay-ay-ay-an-ang!

Bounty Hunter/Journey same difference.   I howled when I read this, what I wouldn't give to see that happen in game hahahaha
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.