Glassworking

Started by The Silence of the Erdlus, April 19, 2016, 04:36:36 PM

With a world with no metal and where half the place usually can't afford wood we have things like stone, bone and clay to see to our needs.

Where's the glass?

You can't make anything out of glass!

We need to make things out of glass!

I suggest (for crafting) three shotglasses per 'chunk of glass slag' and also the ability to make glass mugs and flagons, although I'm not sure what else should go there. Some jewelry for the lower classes would be nice. Like combine red dye with glass to make a red glass stone necklace or something.

What do you guys think about adding a glassworking skill to the game?

I'm 2 billion times for this.  I think all krathis should get the skill by default, hehe.

Also, if you haven't, you (the general you) might want to take a trip to Cenyr.  There are some neat buildings there that describe the glassworking process in their descriptions.

From 'help cenyr':
The actual location of the village of Cenyr is a prized secret among merchants, though it is rumored to be located somewhere in the Red Desert. The village is primarily noted for the quality and artistry of the glassware it produces.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Talk to Cenyr.

I know of a PC that did this and actually gained the ability to work glass.

This is already possible in-game.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Glassworking is something that Cenyr is known for, they guard the secret to making it jealously.  At present, we are not interested in making it a coded skill for the masses.

Get your undead army and siege Cenyr.
They either let the city states know where the city is or they listen to my demands.

Simple.

It seems to me that in a world where there is (next to) no metal and sand is freaking everywhere, glassworking would be way more common.

April 19, 2016, 07:24:34 PM #6 Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 07:27:25 PM by BadSkeelz
Apparently glass-making may have developed (at least in part) out of metal-smelting processes. If so, unless the technology was  preserved from the Old Empire or discovered independently, it might not be as common as you suppose.

Considering that we're drinking out of disposal glass flagons and shotglasses at several establishments, production is evidently high. But the technique for manufacturing raw glass is a closely guarded secret (i.e. Cenyr), as it possibly was historically.

Quote from: Beethoven on April 19, 2016, 06:55:13 PM
It seems to me that in a world where there is (next to) no metal and sand is freaking everywhere, glassworking would be way more common.

Blowing glass involves a massive kiln, it's a very delicate process and it complicated ass hell. If it did exist I imagine it would be only for certain noble houses and maybe Kurac. Common people would have a real problem gaining access to the fuel for the kiln, let alone the kiln itself.

Really fueling it is the major problem. You'd need a team of krathi's or a fuck-ton of wood.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 19, 2016, 10:28:00 PM
Really fueling it is the major problem. You'd need a team of krathi's or a fuck-ton of wood.

I've heard the blood of your enemies makes for a particularly decent fuel source.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Glass is not functional, you can't make weapons, armor, clothing, food, etc.
Only options are for fashion and art.
In order to use glassmaking like (art) stonecrafting, there should be added more glass raw materials, which is ok but not top priority in my opinion
In order to use glass like (fashion), it's already covered in jewelrymaking. There are a few jewelry in the game already but adding 5-10 to the list can be a good addition.