Auto-Punctuation & Auto-Capitalization

Started by Delirium, April 14, 2016, 11:43:08 AM

We've all been there. That dwarf that just doesn't want to punctuate. That serial lazy capitalist who always starts with lower case letters.

I like the lack of forced punctuation and capitalization for the "recite" and "sing" commands, but for say, tell, and talk let's auto-capitalize the first letter, and auto-punctuate with a period if there is no punctuation (which would include dashes, commas, and question marks).

Mistakes happen, I have made my fair share. Still, auto-punctuation and auto-capitalization would go a long way toward keeping things seamless and less jarring when someone comes along who just can't seem to be bothered to slow down and check their writing.

seems like a no brainer to me
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Still I think a good idea.

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,45975.msg770452.html

Quote from: Nyr on August 26, 2013, 09:30:35 AM
I don't believe we've ever contacted someone solely over their inability to end a sentence with punctuation. 

Usually if someone is missing end punctuation, they're also missing middle punctuation...and capitalization...and other basic rules of grammar.  So we've definitely contacted someone over all of that TOGETHER, yes.  Especially if they're in a karma role.

I like how I had the same exact idea all that time ago, managed to forget about it, and came up with it again.

Quote from: Delirium on April 14, 2016, 12:45:41 PM
I like how I had the same exact idea all that time ago, managed to forget about it, and came up with it again.

:) Yes, I saw it. People hardly change.

As long as it accounts for punctuation at the beginning and ending of sentences, sure why not.

What I don't want:  " ... this extension of a cut off say" turning into " ... This extension." like my phone sometimes does.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on April 14, 2016, 02:07:02 PM
As long as it accounts for punctuation at the beginning and ending of sentences, sure why not.

What I don't want:  " ... this extension of a cut off say" turning into " ... This extension." like my phone sometimes does.

My thought was that only the first letter of a say, tell, or talk would be auto-capitalized, and I'm sure we could add if statements.

An extra space before the offending lowercase could be ignored and removed, but punctuation such as ... or - would not be ignored and allow the letter to remain lowercase. If we want error-catching to include multiple-sentence says/tells/talks, we could also add in statements like "capitalize after any . except when there are two or more in a sequence, in which case, leave it lowercase."

That said, while lack of capitalization in the midst of a multi-sentence say/tell/talk is annoying, it's far less jarring than when it happens at the beginning.

On odd occasions I've used a no cap, no full stop Tell to try to convey a certain feeling. I suppose starting the sentence with a space could override forced punctuation.

I completely agree!
Quote from: AdamBluewear Inix pelvis
You wear a wood-carved inix strap-on on your pelvis.
etwo wood
You reach down and grasp your wood-carved inix strap-on.
kill booty

While we're at it, can we trim commands to get rid of tailing white space? 

(In these examples | delimits the end of the command string.)

->:looks around. |
IAmJacksOpinion looks around. .

>say Hello. |
You say, in jackinese:
     "Huh. "

Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org