The Watch Skill and Failures

Started by nauta, April 02, 2016, 04:44:49 PM

So, first of all, let's just remember not to give out actual code hints or whatever that aren't in the help files (or hints that are sooooo obvious that they -should- be in the help files anyway).

That said:

That 'watch' skill, amiwrong?  I've never gotten it to advance above apprentice, or maybe journeyman, even on two long-lived pickpockets who did a lot of activities involving picking up hemotes (read: mudsex or watching elves in the rinth).

Is the watch skill just kind of like analyze where you can't expect it to really rise very fast?  Does it top out at apprentice no matter what?  Is there something really obvious that one does to get them fails on watch?  Or is this a bug?
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on April 02, 2016, 04:44:49 PM
So, first of all, let's just remember not to give out actual code hints or whatever that aren't in the help files (or hints that are sooooo obvious that they -should- be in the help files anyway).

That said:

That 'watch' skill, amiwrong?  I've never gotten it to advance above apprentice, or maybe journeyman, even on two long-lived pickpockets who did a lot of activities involving picking up hemotes (read: mudsex or watching elves in the rinth).

Is the watch skill just kind of like analyze where you can't expect it to really rise very fast?  Does it top out at apprentice no matter what?  Is there something really obvious that one does to get them fails on watch?  Or is this a bug?

I mean, analyze doesn't rise at all, so you may want to rephrase that.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on April 02, 2016, 04:50:28 PM
I mean, analyze doesn't rise at all, so you may want to rephrase that.

I like your rephrasing better.  I forgot.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I've never gotten it above journeyman, and I've only gotten it there once.

However, I also noticed that at journeyman I was the motherfuckin' king of perception.  8)

That was how it seemed, at least.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I don't think it's very different than any other skill. Like many skills, it becomes very difficult to fail long before you've mastered the skill, and so you tend to hit a wall.

I think, since there are subguild that grant journeyman watch, some guilds natively don't get it higher than apprentice.

Quote from: Armaddict on April 02, 2016, 10:08:25 PM
I've never gotten it above journeyman, and I've only gotten it there once.

However, I also noticed that at journeyman I was the motherfuckin' king of perception.  8)

That was how it seemed, at least.

This is how i've experienced it as well.