Option to choose your weapon skill forte

Started by Incognito, April 02, 2016, 02:40:24 PM

Should we be allowed to choose one weapon skill at chargen, for our PC?

Yes
No
Starting locations give certain inherent weapon skill bonuses.

Tuluk is closed now, and the majority of PCs are starting out in Nak.

I wanted to suggest that instead of getting the "Location-based" weapon skill bonus, why not allow Players to choose the weapon skill they wish to concentrate on, during chargen.

The additional bonus isnt really that great, but it'd be a big help for all PCs across the board, right from day 1.

Kinda like - choosing your background location (tribal etc) - to get the Language/Accent, and then choosing the Starting Location separately.

It made IC sense for PCs from different locations to have different starting skill bonuses, but in the current OOC scenario, I'm thinking it might not be that relevant anymore.

Why not give everyone the starting bonus to the weapon skill of their choice? If everyone gets the option, there'll be no inequality or imbalance.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

I voted No, but only because this may be a "wait and see" what the new guild options give.  It makes sense every one has option to a weapons skill (Novice), but not necessarily worth the coding effort to make it a choosable option.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

I think I didnt explain correctly.

From the options your Guild/Sub/Ex would already get - you would have the option to choose one of them - to be raised to Apprentice instead of Novice.

As against the code automatically giving you a skill bonus based on your starting location.

I am not suggesting "adding" a weapon skill that your PC might not get! (Thats what the extended subguilds are there for!)

Something along the lines of:
Based on your Guild and Subguild/Extended Subguild Options, your PC has the following weapon skills:
Pick one of the following, to be your forte (will start off at Apprentice Level):
a) Slashing Weapons
b) Piercing Weapons
c) Chopping Weapons
d) Bludgeoning Weapons
e) None, I would like to opt for the weapon skill bonus based on my Starting Location
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

In absence of knowledge about the upcoming guild changes, I'd just say just ditch the regional weapon skill bonus.  Problem solved, minimal coding.

Considering when I last got into any great debate about the age old REGIONAL styles and got told there were none,
I'm all for players just picking a weapon (if any) to have a small bump in at character generation.

On the one hand, the difference between novice and apprentice is pretty negligible. Any PC with even average wisdom can match or surpass the starting skill in a day or so of play.

On the other hand, I like the regional emphasis on weapons and wouldn't want to see us drift away from this Samurai vs Lumberjack dynamic we have.

We do have that dynamic, right?

Nah, we don't.

We have a Conan vs Viking thing instead.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.