3/21/16 Update Discussion Thread

Started by Rathustra, March 21, 2016, 04:21:40 PM

Quote from: Chettaman on April 13, 2016, 08:18:15 AM
Yo. I just thought of this sick idea.

What if... each elemental subguild could learn all of an element's spells, but... the one they chose is the one they're most a kin to? Yeah?
Let's say a rukkian protection dood can use protection spells like for as much energy as they do now, but... when it wants to use empowerment spells it costs double or even tripple or even four times the amount? - or they can't use any power level above kral or something.

Yeah?
Thats a terrible..." or they can't use any power level above kral or something."
Hey thats pretty good

What if... each elemental subguild could learn all of an element's spells, but... the one they chose is the one they're most a kin to? Yeah?
Let's say a rukkian protection dood can use protection spells like for as much energy as they do now, but... when it wants to use empowerment spells it costs double or even tripple or even four times the amount? - or they can't use any power level above kral or something.

Yeah?

You mean elemental magick main guilds would end up working similarly to how mundane main guilds work, where the PC is better at some aspects of their guild than others, but they are capable of using all the skills in their guild? I could totally get on board with that.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Yeah?

triple is too much.

double is just fine.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

"What if... each elemental subguild could learn all of an element's spells, but... the one they chose is the one they're most a kin to? Yeah?
Let's say a rukkian protection dood can use protection spells like for as much energy as they do now, but... when it wants to use empowerment spells it costs double or even tripple or even four times the amount? - or they can't use any power level above kral or something."

Pretty good idea, actually, to have that be the case, if it isn't already!
This allows for a mage to be a proper 'mage' still and not neuter them from having all the abilities of a mage, but gives them the specialization in a certain subgroup to limit their mastery of choices. This means that a fire mage can still burn nerds even if that isn't their specialization, even though it's weaker than a straight up war mage, that a viv can still make water, even if it isn't their forte. This would keep with the existing lore while promoting good balance gameplay-wise.
Touched should also follow this same pattern, only with no specializations, but instead of a lower balance on the power scale, it should be raised to a middling point instead, with no ability for mastery in any ability, but more of a 'jack of all trades' in that case rather than a specialized subset.

Quote from: AdamBlue on April 22, 2016, 01:12:53 AM
"What if... each elemental subguild could learn all of an element's spells, but... the one they chose is the one they're most a kin to? Yeah?
Let's say a rukkian protection dood can use protection spells like for as much energy as they do now, but... when it wants to use empowerment spells it costs double or even tripple or even four times the amount? - or they can't use any power level above kral or something."

Pretty good idea, actually, to have that be the case, if it isn't already!
This allows for a mage to be a proper 'mage' still and not neuter them from having all the abilities of a mage, but gives them the specialization in a certain subgroup to limit their mastery of choices. This means that a fire mage can still burn nerds even if that isn't their specialization, even though it's weaker than a straight up war mage, that a viv can still make water, even if it isn't their forte. This would keep with the existing lore while promoting good balance gameplay-wise.
Touched should also follow this same pattern, only with no specializations, but instead of a lower balance on the power scale, it should be raised to a middling point instead, with no ability for mastery in any ability, but more of a 'jack of all trades' in that case rather than a specialized subset.

I think I posted saying I could get into this idea on another page of the thread. I still could get into it.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

It's kinda like this.
-ALL- Whirans should be able to fly at some point, but not ALL whirans should be good at it, you get my drift?
I mean, they tire of 'just walking', it says in the files. Which means that there's a group that are experts at flying (travel), there are the touched who would be -decent- at flying, to a mid-point but never achieving true greatness, and then there would be a Whiran invested into another school of whirian abilities who can fly, but isn't very good at it.
This would make touched, while less karma in cost, much more viable in some circumstances than a specialized member of the schools, but NEVER reaching a point in greatness as grand as some can with certain spells, you dig?

Quote from: BadSkeelz on April 22, 2016, 01:56:43 PM
No.
good post

Give all whirans fly 2k16
I didn't even know they all couldn't.
Or maybe they can.

This stuff actually tempted me to get back into the game in order to explore it a little bit.

I think the fear of OP-ness is overstated in most cases.  I can't think of many single spells that were just complete game-winners without combination with other spells, and it sounds like most of those combos have been eliminated, due to the divergent aspects.

The one I picked...one spell I probably won't ever use except at nil just to see if it branches anything; one attack spell that I probably would only use for flair or out of boredom; one utility spell that will be extremely useful for PvP, but not until I get to around 15-20 days played into the LONG-ASS GRIND of my primary guild, and not really -safe- to use unless I team up with another mage type who can hook me up with a combo spell.  Kind of underwhelmed, to be honest.  One spell that I can't really use to great effect until I'm already a mundane badass.  I'll have to wait and see what they branch, I suppose.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 04, 2016, 04:12:51 PM
The one I picked...one spell I probably won't ever use except at nil just to see if it branches anything; one attack spell that I probably would only use for flair or out of boredom; one utility spell that will be extremely useful for PvP, but not until I get to around 15-20 days played into the LONG-ASS GRIND of my primary guild, and not really -safe- to use unless I team up with another mage type who can hook me up with a combo spell.  Kind of underwhelmed, to be honest.  One spell that I can't really use to great effect until I'm already a mundane badass.  I'll have to wait and see what they branch, I suppose.

This is about how I felt as well, just generally underwhelmed and wishing I was playing a real mage.
3/21/16 Never Forget

August 04, 2016, 09:19:11 PM #610 Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 09:23:35 PM by Dresan
I agree its kinda underwhelming. You are giving up a lot of utility and still have to grind your main class.

Your spells won't save you when you need them the most.

The statements "Still have to grind my main class" make me chuckle. Kind of hints on how quickly a full mage could become obliteratingly powerful compared to mundane classes and how important that little aspect was to playing a mage class.

Quote from: Dar on August 05, 2016, 11:55:34 AM
The statements "Still have to grind my main class" make me chuckle. Kind of hints on how quickly a full mage could become obliteratingly powerful compared to mundane classes and how important that little aspect was to playing a mage class.

I, for one, am glad that witches now have main guilds. I'm actually /very/ afraid of them now. Before I was a little afraid, but now that I know there might be a ranger out there somewhere that could hit me with arrows OR ride up on me, charge me, trample me and then begin combat with super-powers... I'm afraid of everyone I see out in the desert.

still miss the magick main guilds.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Quote from: Chettaman on August 05, 2016, 12:29:26 PM

We all do.  :(
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I just want Nilazi back. I'd pay all my karma just to get them back in the game, subguilded or no.

I imagine they'll eventually get around to subguilding the rest of the magick elements if things go well enough with the four primary elements.

Has anyone actually run into an uber-charging fireball-slinging Doom Ranger yet, or is this like...more of a theoretical concern at this point?

Quote from: Synthesis on August 05, 2016, 01:41:20 PM
I imagine they'll eventually get around to subguilding the rest of the magick elements if things go well enough with the four primary elements.

Has anyone actually run into an uber-charging fireball-slinging Doom Ranger yet, or is this like...more of a theoretical concern at this point?
The meta is krathis burglars and ranger whirans, silly.

I've yet to actually run into one.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 05, 2016, 01:41:20 PM

Nope. The most frightening are still the "full" magickers which are still in game.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Majikal on August 05, 2016, 01:19:01 PM

I wonder what general consensus is about these subguilds now that they have been out for a little while. Did we loose something or gain something?
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Just from what I've observed I'd say we've lost something. But that might have something to do with the fact that it feels like the subs were made intentionally weak for some reason.  Dunno, I'm still pretty underwhelmed by the whole thing and don't see any I have an actual interest in playing. And I looooove me some magickers.

Quote from: Norcal on August 05, 2016, 03:52:52 PM
Quote from: Majikal on August 05, 2016, 01:19:01 PM

I wonder what general consensus is about these subguilds now that they have been out for a little while. Did we loose something or gain something?

They've only been in since March, right?

I don't think that's long enough for even the first round of mundane primary/magick subguild PCs to get awesome.

Why were they removed again?
Wasn't the reason something like.
"Staff added it in the past and it was dumb so we took it out now"?

I disagree with Synthesis. I know a few main guild/magick subguilds (Okay like one) Thats pretty awesome already.

Quote from: Jihelu on August 05, 2016, 04:00:11 PM
Why were they removed again?
Wasn't the reason something like.
"Staff added it in the past and it was dumb so we took it out now"?

I disagree with Synthesis. I know a few main guild/magick subguilds (Okay like one) Thats pretty awesome already.

Theorycraft awesome, or actually in-game and melting faces awesome?