3/21/16 Update Discussion Thread

Started by Rathustra, March 21, 2016, 04:21:40 PM

Non-gemmed magickers and their visible effects remain rare, at least from my characters' perspectives since implementation.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

August 05, 2016, 04:34:51 PM #626 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:05:46 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

The only major problem I have with the obvious shift for Low Fantasy, is that the game is still designed that a LOT of content and discoveries aren't really feasible without magick. Whether its some region in the mountains, or something SO GREAT a distance that someone with normal playing times is not likely to reach to discover it.

Watering down magick so that its more of a Low Fantasy world... alright. I like the idea that anyone COULD have magick, and most that do are kinda shit at it. But the idea that there COULD be someone who is just balls-to-the-wall magickal style is frightening. And it also means there are magickers you would want to find or have become a colleague if you really want to go somewhere. If you need a viv along to keep people watered and free of poisons, now you have to find someone who rolled the right kind of Viv, whereas before you could at least find someone in the Water Temple and bribe them.

But then, there's not much content in the game where you'd need a touch of magick, that won't have staff "making the world come alive" for you anyway. And by "come alive" I mean "SURPRISE THERE'S A GITH SORCEROR IN THAT SAND DUNE AHAHA"
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

August 05, 2016, 05:04:52 PM #628 Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:20:24 PM by Majikal
I played one of the last Whirans and from that perspective it was odd to meet 4 other whirans, none of which could fly with me =\ lame. I've seen enough of the different subs to see mostly/all of what they're capable of and, while neat, I honestly didn't care for the skillsets and only find the appeal of them to be in twinky combinations. Oh, empowerment Assassin, check out ma shweet backstabz and so on.

One of my favorite things was sitting around with mages and discussing the idea behind magick, mentoring new mages, bringing the lore to life about magick etc. Those that have played around Majikal's long-lived majickal pc's experienced their fair share of mah luv for it I'm sure. I feel like the mage subs really destroyed the roleplay that centered around magick. Breaking the spells up into roughly thirds just gave mages even less things in common with other mages. The fact that out of 5 whirans I was the only one capable of a particular spell, one that the has forever been the staple of being a whiran was very  :'(

Edit to add:
I also hate checking my play options and seeing 5guilds and 253 subguilds. When I got tired of ranger/warrior/assassin I would play a mage, now it doesn't feel like a lot of variables for the core of pc's, though this will supposedly get fixed when the guild changes roll out.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on August 05, 2016, 05:04:52 PM
I played one of the last Whirans and from that perspective it was odd to meet 4 other whirans, none of which could fly with me =\ lame. I've seen enough of the different subs to see mostly/all of what they're capable of and, while neat, I honestly didn't care for the skillsets and only find the appeal of them to be in twinky combinations. Oh, empowerment Assassin, check out ma shweet backstabz and so on.

One of my favorite things was sitting around with mages and discussing the idea behind magick, mentoring new mages, bringing the lore to life about magick etc. Those that have played around Majikal's long-lived majickal pc's experienced their fair share of mah luv for it I'm sure. I feel like the mage subs really destroyed the roleplay that centered around magick. Breaking the spells up into roughly thirds just gave mages even less things in common with other mages. The fact that out of 5 whirans I was the only one capable of a particular spell, one that the has forever been the staple of being a whiran was very  :'(

Edit to add:
I also hate checking my play options and seeing 5guilds and 253 subguilds. When I got tired of ranger/warrior/assassin I would play a mage, now it doesn't feel like a lot of variables for the core of pc's, though this will supposedly get fixed when the guild changes roll out.

Yes, I was afraid that might be the way it went..I hope they fix it, or at least consider that it is broken.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

August 05, 2016, 07:11:47 PM #630 Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 07:40:51 PM by Dresan
Quote from: Dar on August 05, 2016, 11:55:34 AM
The statements "Still have to grind my main class" make me chuckle. Kind of hints on how quickly a full mage could become obliteratingly powerful compared to mundane classes and how important that little aspect was to playing a mage class.

The point was that for those people that thought magicker sub-guilds were going to be game breakingly OP: Not really.

You give up alot of utility from a mundane sub-class.
You are isolated or risk it from using your spells.
You still have to grind your main guild to be able to do stuff.
Your spells will not help you when it matters.  

The mage explorer will still die unless they know what they are doing, and its more interesting doing it with a clan/small team. Lastly, priority agility, poison arrow, and spice is still a damn good way to gank people if thats all you care about doing. However, if you just want to roleplaying someone who can cast magick then its is probably better then it has ever has been before in this regard.

I personally think this change is good, and I don't want to see full magickers, or any more magicker sub-guilds added. That said, I can defiantely see one or two Quality of life changes to magickal sub-guilds if only so people think twice about attacking someone they suspect being a mage.  :-\

Quote from: Majikal on August 05, 2016, 05:04:52 PM

Edit to add:

Annndddd......this.  Very much this.  A lot.

I've had very few gickers, but there is a huge difference in deep, interactive, character development scenes about magick, and they are missed.  Almost like the magick aspect of the character is diminished, a less important part of them, while the main guild is the focus.  Yes a few exceptions as in all things, but in the norm...

As far as thinking that 'some' of those gicker combinations are not OP. I'm sorry, but you ... dont ... know. It is a lot easier to hide being a magicker right now. Which means most dedicated rogue mage subguilds are not being overt until they are buff enough to handle being known.

One day, you'll have to go chase one down, then you'll see.

It is true though, that the mages are no longer instant machines of doom within 3 days played. That's gone. But make it 10 days and they're scarier then a full mage of 30 days.  Make it a 30 day and ... I'd be scared. Very very very scared. More Scared and more wary then I ever was (oocly), of a full mage.

To an extent that's correct. I'm 100 percent sure I could roll up a mundane/mage combo and become terrifying in relatively short order. But that's mostly because you have amazing mundane combat skills and just a few spells that synergize well with that. But becoming that terrifying slightly-less-than-mundane of doom isn't really my goal in Arm anymore.  I'm of the opinion that they just don't seem like mages now. They're just warriors/rangers/whatever with buffs or a little extra damage.   

Most of the subs seem pretty lackluster with one or two exceptions.

Give it time. I've played one of the new magickers, and I've been playing gickers about one out of every three chars since I even got the chance. The last one I played had so much freaking potential it was ridiculous. I mean, given a year with that char, I could have been one of the most powerful of 'chosen guild' out there, quickly, and easily. Too bad I had to play realisitically, man was he a fucked in the head guy. Anyhow, give it time. I'm going to murder you all in the sexiest way possible, it's gonna be crazy.

Maybe there aren't one man death machines roaming around now, yet, but most of you haven't died and gotten the chance to tinker. Us quick shot people have, and well, we've been quick shots. However, the idea of someone with a terrifying, dizzyingly array of spells that can obliterate you is still out there. The Sorcerer. And they should be scarier, especially to elementalists.

On the other hand, give me four warriors, each with a badass magick subguild, and you have a clan of krath-damned monsters. Or even better, A ranger, two warriors, and an assasin. No longer will blood orgies just be a mudsex thing. It's going to be a stepping out into the Salt Flats thing, because rogues are now more insane, or can be, once you guys put them to use.

I will miss having a large pool of spells, and making all of my coin off my jeweler subguild with my rukkian dwarf (never happened, but you know who you are), but I still have had in depth magical roleplay scenes, excellent reactions, and plenty of fun. Then again, I turn ridiculous, near impossible char ideas into fun shit all of the time.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Quote from: Raptor_Dan on August 06, 2016, 12:03:18 AM
Anyhow, give it time. I'm going to murder you all in the sexiest way possible, it's gonna be crazy.
Teach me, senpai.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

I could teach you, but..... I'd have to charge.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Charge
(Melee Combat)

This skill causes a highly skilled rider to attempt to knock down an opponent while mounted on an animal. Upon success, the victim will be knocked over and left on the ground (if he/she was not already there). This leaves the victim prone to attack and disables his/her ability to do things other than stand. This skill, while combative in nature, is primarily available to rangers, half-elves, and expert riders who have a greater rapport with animals, since such maneuvers require expert control over the animal.

Give it time. I've played one of the new magickers, and I've been playing gickers about one out of every three chars since I even got the chance. The last one I played had so much freaking potential it was ridiculous. I mean, given a year with that char, I could have been one of the most powerful of 'chosen guild' out there, quickly, and easily. Too bad I had to play realisitically, man was he a fucked in the head guy. Anyhow, give it time. I'm going to murder you all in the sexiest way possible, it's gonna be crazy.

Maybe there aren't one man death machines roaming around now, yet, but most of you haven't died and gotten the chance to tinker. Us quick shot people have, and well, we've been quick shots. However, the idea of someone with a terrifying, dizzyingly array of spells that can obliterate you is still out there. The Sorcerer. And they should be scarier, especially to elementalists.

On the other hand, give me four warriors, each with a badass magick subguild, and you have a clan of krath-damned monsters. Or even better, A ranger, two warriors, and an assasin. No longer will blood orgies just be a mudsex thing. It's going to be a stepping out into the Salt Flats thing, because rogues are now more insane, or can be, once you guys put them to use.

I will miss having a large pool of spells, and making all of my coin off my jeweler subguild with my rukkian dwarf (never happened, but you know who you are), but I still have had in depth magical roleplay scenes, excellent reactions, and plenty of fun. Then again, I turn ridiculous, near impossible char ideas into fun shit all of the time.

If four awesome warriors roll up on you, they're pretty much going to instagib you whether they have spells or not, soooo....
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on August 05, 2016, 01:41:20 PM
I imagine they'll eventually get around to subguilding the rest of the magick elements if things go well enough with the four primary elements.

I hope you're right, but http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,51298.0.html seems to suggest otherwise  :-\

Quote from: Synthesis on August 06, 2016, 03:08:54 AM

If four awesome warriors roll up on you, they're pretty much going to instagib you whether they have spells or not, soooo....

Ayup.

I am still not sure why we cannot have both.  You could limit the full mages to a higher karma or even special apps.  Yet we should still have them. Oh yes..Low fantasy.  Still not sold on that one, yet perhaps I should speak to one of the sorcerer kings about it, they seem like real low fantasy sorts.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Why are we still complaining about this? Good golly.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: boog on August 06, 2016, 05:05:27 PM
Why are we still complaining about this? Good golly.

Because people still don't like it, and given that these sort of changes take time to see impacts, that means people will be checking in on it time to time.

It's the same reason I waited a little while to do my check in with Ask the Staff...but my stance is a different one.  Thusfar, my concerns have been debunked, so I am content.  But people with other concerns who were more into the magickal scene obviously still want to input information.  I don't think there's anything wrong with that.  But fuck mages. :P
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I'd just do away with them entirely. ;) Gick fingers.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Haha, let's just do a game split. One all mundanes and the other nothing but elementalists, sorcerers and psionicists. Frankly I'd split my time between both because they'd be completely different types of fun. (but mostly the magick one)

The new system is fine for what it does. I think players just pine for the old guilds because it was a break from the soul crushing mundane grind.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on August 06, 2016, 06:55:18 PM
The new system is fine for what it does. I think players just pine for the old guilds because it was a break from the soul crushing mundane grind.

My soul is a tiny penny smear on rail road tracks and I love it.  ;D

Wasn't that also one of the things that was asked for, though.  For magickal guilds to not be so defined by their magick?  I know when I talked about subguilds and extended subguilds, it was said it wasn't enough.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on August 06, 2016, 06:58:01 PM

My soul is a tiny penny smear on rail road tracks and I love it.  ;D

Wasn't that also one of the things that was asked for, though.  For magickal guilds to not be so defined by their magick?  I know when I talked about subguilds and extended subguilds, it was said it wasn't enough.

And yeah. Some people really enjoy that slow progress. I'm not really one of those people.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

August 06, 2016, 09:24:49 PM #649 Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:26:52 PM by Dresan
Well last I heard main guild changes would bring something that would help with the grind. Though not sure when that might be...

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 13, 2016, 04:07:09 AM
I wonder when we're going to start seeing these.