3/21/16 Update Discussion Thread

Started by Rathustra, March 21, 2016, 04:21:40 PM

Quote from: Desertman on March 23, 2016, 10:13:02 AM
Quote from: seidhr on March 23, 2016, 10:12:20 AM
Quote from: Jingo on March 23, 2016, 02:00:48 AM
Any word on touched subguilds?

I'm not sure what you are asking.

Come on baby, just tell me about the touching. Tell me....

(I really would like more details in regards to what being "Touched" gives you. An example might be nice. As of now, it's very vague, but I'm sure that is intentional.)

Kind of odd that the (higher-Karma and more powerful) Aspects are more detailed on the website than what it means to be Touched. I'm really curious too.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on March 23, 2016, 02:47:27 PM

(I really would like more details in regards to what being "Touched" gives you. An example might be nice. As of now, it's very vague, but I'm sure that is intentional.)

Kind of odd that the (higher-Karma and more powerful) Aspects are more detailed on the website than what it means to be Touched. I'm really curious too.
From a quick glance at various posts about it on my phone.  This the probably inaccurate summary as to what I think it is.

It's the ability to emote cantrips.

Other than that I can't find anything else.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

It seems to give you either a bonus to, or higher skillcaps on, certain related skills that "make sense" for those "touched" by an element.

Perhaps also various coded effects, such as a Krathi not suffering from heat or a vivaduan not getting thirsty as much

I imagine you can also emote mild cantrips and more subtle hints to that effect. Krathi can light their spice tubes without a match, etc.

Pure conjecture here but that seems to be the case.

Has staff discussed a new helpfile or adding in Touched sections to the existing magick help files? I think we have a vague idea of what they entail, but it would be helpful to have them in the help files with all the other aspects.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Drov touched subguild:

That one amazing spell that lets you see in the dark.
Climb at a high cap. (Call it spider climb or something.)
Cantrip spell for flavor?

I would play nothing else.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Asmoth on March 23, 2016, 03:01:15 PM

From a quick glance at various posts about it on my phone.  This the probably inaccurate summary as to what I think it is.

If the ability to use emote cantrips is actually going to be karma I'm going to kms

Elkros touched subguild:

That spell that makes you gotta go fast.
A passive boost to stamina and stamina regen.
High capped direction sense (for storm navigation)
Cantrip spell for flavor?

I would play nothing else.

Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

March 23, 2016, 05:07:57 PM #457 Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 05:09:37 PM by Jingo
Nilazi Aspects

Death
Void
Control

8 karma required

Quote from: Jingo on March 23, 2016, 05:07:57 PM
Nilazi Aspects

Death
Void
Control

8 karma required
I'd play it for death big boy plays

Quote from: Jihelu on March 23, 2016, 04:58:47 PM
If the ability to use emote cantrips is actually going to be karma I'm going to kms

Technically this has always been the case.

Quote from: Jingo on March 23, 2016, 05:07:57 PM
Nilazi Aspects

8 karma required

One of those is so out of what I would assume Nilazi powers to be that even naming it is kind of spilling some serious IC sekretz, imo.

Given that magick guilds have always been karma-gated - the ability to use emote cantrips has always been karma. Sorry to hear you died!

Quote from: Rathustra on March 23, 2016, 05:17:07 PM

Given that magick guilds have always been karma-gated - the ability to use emote cantrips has always been karma. Sorry to hear you died!
I'm a spooky skeleton...

Let me rephrase this.
If the ability to do, AND ONLY DO, magick cantrips is karma blocked...I'm going to kms.
IE:
I spent five karma on whiran touch (Too lazy to luck up actual karma)
I have the sole ability to make wind emotes.
Thats it.
I wasted five karma then.

Now if you give them a few passive buffs. Sure. It might be worth it.

Re: Touched Subguilds.

One motivation behind making these subguilds were to offer a 'third road' between playing a magicker and playing a mundane. Another was to offer a route into our magick theme for players.

They offer a selection of spells and a selection of mundane abilities that the touched's more subtle elemental connection lets them utilize through cantrips - perceived or otherwise. So a stone touched PC might find that they have an uncanny ability to know what stones are in a given rock pile or a wind touched PC tends to find the wind is more forgiving to them.

Thinking of ways to emote 'cantrips' without being magicker... only thing that comes to mind is..

say (as he thrusts his mug of ale out to a buddy) Hold my ale.. I go' this'gicker shi'.. watch this..

emote stands up, swaying a bit drunkenly before throwing his hands out in front of him dramatically, letting a raunchy one rip. (Pant fluttering in the rear region optional)

say (smugly) See? I can blow hot air too, like them whirly feckers. Pah!

And then people stare in horror for one reason or another. Maybe someone passes out.

But am very curious about what being 'touched' by an element truly means code wise... the suspense is killing me.

This might not be the place, but is it staff's expectation that characters discovered to be "touched" would have to take the gem?  If they have full blown spells, I would assume yes.

If not, though, that could be very interesting.  They would still get pariah status, and people might look at them as being cursed, but still effectively human (elven, etc).  Could maybe still join lower class clans that are not open to gemmed as long as they keep their disgusting little secret hidden like a leprous patch of skin...
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: Rathustra on March 23, 2016, 05:29:49 PM
They offer a selection of spells and a selection of mundane abilities that the touched's more subtle elemental connection lets them utilize through cantrips - perceived or otherwise. So a stone touched PC might find that they have an uncanny ability to know what stones are in a given rock pile or a wind touched PC tends to find the wind is more forgiving to them.

Cool.

Quote from: James de Monet on March 23, 2016, 05:43:38 PM
This might not be the place, but is it staff's expectation that characters discovered to be "touched" would have to take the gem?  If they have full blown spells, I would assume yes.

If not, though, that could be very interesting.  They would still get pariah status, and people might look at them as being cursed, but still effectively human (elven, etc).  Could maybe still join lower class clans that are not open to gemmed as long as they keep their disgusting little secret hidden like a leprous patch of skin...

Magickers are magickers. I would be very against touched not having to get a Gem.

Quote from: Rathustra on March 23, 2016, 05:29:49 PM
Re: Touched Subguilds.

One motivation behind making these subguilds were to offer a 'third road' between playing a magicker and playing a mundane. Another was to offer a route into our magick theme for players.

Are touched characters going to be socially or culturally regarded differently than full mages by the VNPC populace?

I wonder if people are going to flip the fuck out when you say a disconnected/idle PC is krath-touched now.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 23, 2016, 05:46:58 PM
Magickers are magickers. I would be very against touched not having to get a Gem.

If they get actual spells, I wholeheartedly agree.  But if they don't...suddenly there's a question.  A bastard is not a noble by virtue of bearing some noble blood.  Is a touched a gicker by virtue of knowing when a storm is coming?  Could open up some very interesting RP, and more playable options for people who like the flavor of magick RP, but not the isolation (could also smash down the barriers that make it easy to remember that magick is gross and scary, but we couldn't really know until we tried it...)
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on March 23, 2016, 05:53:48 PM
I wonder if people are going to flip the fuck out when you say a disconnected/idle PC is krath-touched now.

Oh, snap.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

The virtual world will react to the unknown and unnatural in the same way across the spectrum of elemental affinities. If you make fire run across your fingertips or the torches flare whenever you shout then people will notice and people will treat you as makes sense.

Given that these changes and this class of magicker is entering the game naturally - as in, they are emerging after existing for a period of time, or are being born now. The names that are ascribed to them are up to players. 'Touched' is just how we've named them from an OOC perspective.

I only ever heard it as krath-struck. Slight change in wording, but the same meaning. Hopefully it wouldn't be an issue.

I'm thinking cursed is cursed is cursed.
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

Quote from: Maylin on March 23, 2016, 05:35:21 PM
Thinking of ways to emote 'cantrips' without being magicker... only thing that comes to mind is..

say (as he thrusts his mug of ale out to a buddy) Hold my ale.. I go' this'gicker shi'.. watch this..

emote stands up, swaying a bit drunkenly before throwing his hands out in front of him dramatically, letting a raunchy one rip. (Pant fluttering in the rear region optional)

say (smugly) See? I can blow hot air too, like them whirly feckers. Pah!

And then people stare in horror for one reason or another. Maybe someone passes out.

But am very curious about what being 'touched' by an element truly means code wise... the suspense is killing me.

It's a sorcerer! Kill it!
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals