Clothing and Armageddon's Theme

Started by Delirium, March 18, 2016, 02:30:20 PM

March 18, 2016, 02:30:20 PM Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:09:29 PM by Nergal
I wish the clothes in armageddon were described in a more consistent desert-themed style. European-style silk ballgowns just seem so... out of place.

March 18, 2016, 03:31:12 PM #1 Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:11:21 PM by Nergal
Quote from: Delirium on March 18, 2016, 02:30:20 PM
I wish the clothes in armageddon were described in a more consistent desert-themed style. European-style silk ballgowns just seem so... out of place.

+1
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

March 18, 2016, 03:47:43 PM #2 Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:11:28 PM by Nergal
Also, isn't there something about Allanak fashion being over-the-top Mocking Jay (or whatever the name of that movie is) stuff?  I visualized those gowns as part of that, always liked that bit of disjoint: the nobles wear tiny shoes that break your toes and ridiculous outfits that don't allow you to move in them.  Of course, the term 'ballgown' is jarring like 'sandwich', if that's what's at stake.  So I'd agree there.  But: high fashion = loads of fabric and outrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrageous outfits.  I like that.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

March 18, 2016, 03:57:18 PM #3 Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:11:33 PM by Nergal
High fashion outfits for people who don't go in to the desert do not necessarily have to be "desert themed."

They should still get tattered very quickly while going out in to the desert. Especially in sand storms.

Allanak's nobility clothing items do seem much more like a quantum leap from rather than an evolution of their desert tribal roots.
(It makes me wonder how many years it has been since the walls were completed.)
It seems much more likly that the early creaters of Arm simply threw the fashion together based on western high-fashion traditions.

You could just as easily take "desert wear styles" and make them tighter, silkier, and more colorful than their commoner counterparts.
You could even take the exiting items and change a few words here and there rather than starting from scratch.

FashionRetcon2016!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

March 19, 2016, 08:28:53 AM #5 Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 08:35:39 AM by Large Hero
Quote from: Delirium on March 18, 2016, 02:30:20 PM

When I played a Kadian merchant a couple years ago, I tried to go against this and make fashion more desert-y (fancy kalasiri and abas and stuff instead of waistcoats and button-down shirts and whatnot).

It didn't work out, at all, for rather silly reasons.

Unfortunately, it would be difficult to change this. Many players seem to think that robe type stuff = low class and arguably anachronistic Western-type stuff = high class. Also, we can't simply retcon it and say those fashions were never in the game. We can't lose that valuable lore!
It is said that things coming in through the gate can never be your own treasures. What is gained from external circumstances will perish in the end.
- the Mumonkan

I don't believe in a fashion retcon, but I do believe that going forward any clothes/fashion mastercrafts or building projects should be created with the theme of the game in mind.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on March 19, 2016, 04:52:11 PM
I don't believe in a fashion retcon, but I do believe that going forward any clothes/fashion mastercrafts or building projects should be created with the theme of the game in mind.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

You just have to post pictures of Khaleesi on your auction-RPT threads and people will buy kalasiris.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Bogre on March 19, 2016, 07:24:41 PM
You just have to post pictures of Khaleesi on your auction-RPT threads and people will buy kalasiris.

All that blond hair, all that visible skin... so Tuluki.

#TeamTuluk
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I rationalize it as Allanaki noble fashion being a throwback to the pre-tribal era of the Dragon's Empire or the cities that existed well before that.

Allanak's territory wasn't always a desert, either; the random rooms in the Vrun Driath even say so.

I just say there has been an entirely different fashion evolution, i.e. Earth's tribal/desert adaptations did not take place on Zalanthas.

It's...not really worth nitpicking over.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

That's why it was originally a random thought. ::)

Sure, I wish the items in game were better aligned along a solidified theme. But it was a minor wish. An it'd be nice.

Ballgowns are still pretty dumb though.

I vow to wear a tophat on every character until we put an end to this shit.
Where it will go

Quote from: Erythil on March 19, 2016, 08:53:47 PM
I rationalize it as Allanaki noble fashion being a throwback to the pre-tribal era of the Dragon's Empire or the cities that existed well before that.

Allanak's territory wasn't always a desert, either; the random rooms in the Vrun Driath even say so.

Good point. Zalanthas is less a desert in the real world sense of the word and more along the lines of a wasteland. As in literally wasted away. When you read about regions of the real world today undergoing desertification it's not the same as "becoming a desert". It's closer to destruction. And that's how I see Zalanthas, personally.

Surely by now clothes would have adapted to better fit the wasteland it has become, but I don't feel that the game should be comprised of bishts and abayas and djellabahs, etc. I live in the Middle East currently and the locals all dress in these types of clothes, but it's more for cultural reasons than anything to do with the weather. It's the same with using Middle Eastern names in the game simply because it's a "desert". I don't think that desert must immediately equate Arabic or Middle Eastern in style.

Though I agree with the OP's sentiment that some garments simply don't fit in with the environment very well and I would also love it if there was more of a solidified theme, whatever that theme may be (just please don't make it Arabic).