I hate the stun passout code, always have

Started by Supified, March 18, 2016, 03:52:10 PM

You stay down for 10 rl minutes.  It's too long.  It would not really lose deadliness if it were halved and would still be really annoying.  It seems senseless to me and should be addressed.

I wouldn't be angry if there were factors that would wake you up easier, unless those are already in place.
Like endurance or some hidden 'recover' stat
Though I'd like it to still be a significant problem to encourage not losing stun points.

It'd be cool if we could replace physical damage knockouts with a "dazed" status, instead of the current cartoony 20-rl-minute comas that should in truth leave you brain damaged.

When you're "dazed" you slip in and out of consciousness and you can't move, speak, look at things, or use the Way, but you are still able to see what's going on.

Certain sleeping effects and poisons would still knock you unconscious, but in that case you would be sleeping rather than having suffered severe brain trauma.

Quote from: Supified on March 18, 2016, 03:52:10 PM
You stay down for 10 rl minutes.  It's too long.  It would not really lose deadliness if it were halved and would still be really annoying.  It seems senseless to me and should be addressed.

I disagree. I think 10 rl mins isn't long enough and I feel it would certainly be less deadly to halve it. I detest every time a change is made to the game that makes it "easier" or "safer". What makes you feel it is too long?

Besides, there's an easy fix... Don't get knocked out.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Multi-hour in-game knockouts should be reserved for poisons and other things, not getting hit real hard. I like Delirium's dazed idea.

I never found the knock-out code to be too long, it seems just about right. It lasts 1 in game hour, and in essence you are asleep, you just can't be woken up by traditional means.
3/21/16 Never Forget

I like things as they are.  Being knocked out should be scary, and making it too short would reduce the probability that something awful happens while the victim is unconscious unless they have someone there to watch their back or wake them.

As a tangentially related topic though, it would be nice if the human racial affinity for psionics had a bit of an impact on stun use for using the Way.  Might reduce the times human's get knocked out.

March 18, 2016, 08:43:20 PM #7 Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 08:48:11 PM by RogueGunslinger
It's illogical. I'd much rather it be scary because it was realistic, instead of scary because it is incredibly fucking annoying. I'm fine with being knocked out being deadly. I'm not at all okay with being handed a time-out from the game. It's fucking stupid code from a game-play standpoint AND a realism standpoint.

Edit: For instance, you get knocked out: Well you're unconscious for a good 1-3 minutes when you get up now you keep falling down, have blurry vision, massive ringing headache, are completely uncoordinated and have lost all agility for the next half hour. You can not learn new skills or advance the ones you have, you can not use the way or knit a sweater, or skin a Carru becuase you my friend, are fucked up.

Much more interesting than staring at nothingness and praying someone has the courtesy to emote for you a couple times.

I wish heavy drinking would just knock you down and prevent you from standing (and maybe put some sort of intelligible filter on your speech) instead of KOing you for 10 minutes. Makes me miss all the good drunk RP and makes drinking games unnecessarily arduous.

I just think it's stupid that the same stat governs use of telepathy and physical brain trauma. The fact that using the Way a bit leaves you massively vulnerable to bludgeoning weapons or climbing accidents is a bit crazy. Does it do anything for the game other than randomly punish you for doing something that you should be doing, i.e. interacting with people? It's silly. While we don't have RL psionics to compare it to, I struggle to imagine what sort of mental activity could render you significantly more prone to getting knocked out by a blow to the head. It's like it doesn't even make physiological sense, if such a thing can be applied to psionics.

Please do not change this. The way should make you more vunerable.

I like the 'dazed status' idea. I like that being knocked out is super dangerous, but it would be nice if it didn't also remove you from the RP scene.

Quote from: Warsong on March 19, 2016, 01:10:17 AM
I just think it's stupid that the same stat governs use of telepathy and physical brain trauma. The fact that using the Way a bit leaves you massively vulnerable to bludgeoning weapons or climbing accidents is a bit crazy. Does it do anything for the game other than randomly punish you for doing something that you should be doing, i.e. interacting with people? It's silly. While we don't have RL psionics to compare it to, I struggle to imagine what sort of mental activity could render you significantly more prone to getting knocked out by a blow to the head. It's like it doesn't even make physiological sense, if such a thing can be applied to psionics.

Distraction... someone who is talking on their cell phone is much easier to sneak up on and KTFO than someone who is actually paying attention to their surroundings.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 18, 2016, 08:43:20 PM
It's illogical. I'd much rather it be scary because it was realistic, instead of scary because it is incredibly fucking annoying. I'm fine with being knocked out being deadly. I'm not at all okay with being handed a time-out from the game. It's fucking stupid code from a game-play standpoint AND a realism standpoint.

Edit: For instance, you get knocked out: Well you're unconscious for a good 1-3 minutes when you get up now you keep falling down, have blurry vision, massive ringing headache, are completely uncoordinated and have lost all agility for the next half hour. You can not learn new skills or advance the ones you have, you can not use the way or knit a sweater, or skin a Carru becuase you my friend, are fucked up.

Much more interesting than staring at nothingness and praying someone has the courtesy to emote for you a couple times.

Okay, I could get behind this.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on March 18, 2016, 08:43:20 PM

A code like this would be pretty awesome. I played a MUD that was very modern and my guy was gutshot by an npc, I was fairly new so I was still trying to learn the combat code. I was bleeding and needed to get bandaged but didn't know how. What I thought was really neat while I was bleeding was these echoes:

Your vision blurs at the edges.
Weak legs cause you to stumble as you walk. (movement delay)
The world begins to swim around you as your vision dims.
You feel a flutter in your chest.
Your breathing seems shallow.

It got worse until eventually I died from bloodloss, I thought the code was pretty neat for how simple it was.

Essentially what RGS said could be done with a variation of the drunk code. Stumbling/penalties to learning/penalties to skillchecks/psionic failure.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."