Armageddon Confessional

Started by RogueGunslinger, March 14, 2016, 02:45:27 PM

I confess that I've completely abandoned real life in favor of Arm lately.  I'm not sure if the avoiding and not sleeping way of grieving is better or worse than drinking myself into a stupor for a week and not leaving bed, but I'm giving it a solid try.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: Vositus on April 16, 2016, 07:53:32 PM
Thought it was time to get this off my chest:

I confess when I first played this game, I had NO idea it was based off of Dungeons and Dragons. I thought Dark Sun was a book series like Game of Thrones and Dune. I remember looking all over the place for 'Dark Sun Book'  and 'Dark Sun Series' and only finding these weird pamphlet/gameplay books I couldn't understand.

I also had no idea what D&D was to begin with. I had only heard of it in school as being a game you played with paper and pencils which I had zero interest in. Only recently, like within the last 2 years, did I learn what D&D actually is. I have yet to play an actual pencil-and-paper tabletop RPG.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: valeria on April 17, 2016, 12:53:39 PM
I confess that I've completely abandoned real life in favor of Arm lately.  I'm not sure if the avoiding and not sleeping way of grieving is better or worse than drinking myself into a stupor for a week and not leaving bed, but I'm giving it a solid try.

I'm really sorry about that, but I hope you get rest also...
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Bogre on April 17, 2016, 12:58:44 PM
Quote from: Vositus on April 16, 2016, 07:53:32 PM
Thought it was time to get this off my chest:

I confess when I first played this game, I had NO idea it was based off of Dungeons and Dragons. I thought Dark Sun was a book series like Game of Thrones and Dune. I remember looking all over the place for 'Dark Sun Book'  and 'Dark Sun Series' and only finding these weird pamphlet/gameplay books I couldn't understand.

I also had no idea what D&D was to begin with. I had only heard of it in school as being a game you played with paper and pencils which I had zero interest in. Only recently, like within the last 2 years, did I learn what D&D actually is. I have yet to play an actual pencil-and-paper tabletop RPG.

10 years later... I am embarrassed.

Don't worry, last year I read that for the first time.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I confess to daydreaming about what my characters will do or accomplish but then never managing to make any progress on these daydreams due to my RL schedule, my tiredness when I do sit down to play, and unexplainable apathy, etc. I don't want to play this game solo but I also find myself thinking "ugh" when it comes time for my characters to yet again go through an interview process, get involved with other PCs that I find only marginally interesting, etc.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: manipura on April 17, 2016, 06:37:23 PM
Confession: When my PC is dealing with particularly difficult times in-game, I sometimes find myself wanting to drink more in RL to help with the grief/stress/sadness etc.

I've had a couple of characters that were very emotionally unstable and that was kind of their thing, one I played a year or so ago was a breed that was highly self-destructive. Drinking, gambling, complicated lovelife, living in a city that wasn't his hometown. By design, his life was miserable and I did my best to make sure he remained miserable.

My confession is that this absolutely effected me irl. It was sad watching his life play out until he eventually died saving what to him was a brother, however the pc did feel extremely real and because of that it is probably in my top 5 of all time as far as enjoyment goes.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Confession: I'd kind of like to see a new thread over whether our characters can consume their own poop.

Quote from: manipura on April 17, 2016, 07:15:59 PM
Quote from: Majikal on April 17, 2016, 06:59:42 PM
Quote from: manipura on April 17, 2016, 06:37:23 PM
Confession: When my PC is dealing with particularly difficult times in-game, I sometimes find myself wanting to drink more in RL to help with the grief/stress/sadness etc.

I've had a couple of characters that were very emotionally unstable and that was kind of their thing, one I played a year or so ago was a breed that was highly self-destructive. Drinking, gambling, complicated lovelife, living in a city that wasn't his hometown. By design, his life was miserable and I did my best to make sure he remained miserable.

My confession is that this absolutely effected me irl. It was sad watching his life play out until he eventually died saving what to him was a brother, however the pc did feel extremely real and because of that it is probably in my top 5 of all time as far as enjoyment goes.

Whether it's a good thing or a bad thing, I find it's much, much easier to get into my character's mindset and personality when they are affecting me in RL.  There's much less reminding myself "Okay, you're this and that, you think this way and that way and oh!  Don't forget -this- tears you up."  It sometimes makes it difficult for me to play when I'm not in the same mindset...because it feels forced and unnatural to make my character happy when I'm grouchy, or vice versa.

I just wanna say I resonate with this, except that when it's REALLY hard times for my character, I store.

And how many stores has it been in a row now? Uh oh..
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I confess I don't vote on TMS because I can't seem to beat the bot preventers at the bottom whenever I try to make an account. This shames me deeply and I pretend it's because I try to sign up from my iPad.

I confess that during the game down time recently....I went looking for a new MUD.

Not a permanent replacement!  Relax.  Just a little fling on the side. 

I also confess that I was painfully, horribly, disgustingly disappointed with all the scaggy, overly made up tramps out there.

My confession is that I've been playing another MUD.  Just some bullshit PK MUD that I played before I came here, that I hadn't played in about 10 years, or more.  At first it was just a post that WarriorPoet made when the game was down that inspired me, and I'm waiting around, don't have a character on Arm, so the idea was entertaining, at least.  Then, I realized I was having a nice time.  No neckbeard drama and instant gratification.

You guys figured out how to get rid of me, huh?
Where it will go

That's so awesome!

My confessional is that I play leadership roles and seem to be decent at it, but I also enjoy getting rather inebriated IRL when I do... which leads to both IC and OOC frustrations on the part of both staff and players.  But I also can't stop playing them.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I came to Armageddon looking for some cathartic, fucked-up RP, and totally got it right out the gate.

Glad to be here!

Quote from: Nail on April 27, 2016, 07:47:24 PM
I came to Armageddon looking for some cathartic, fucked-up RP, and totally got it right out the gate.

Glad to be here!

This makes me happy.  It was the fucked-up RP that hooked me too.

Confession: I engage in a lot of fucked-up RP.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Confession: Having been part of plots, romances, rivalries, battles, ect., the most fun I've had RPing in the game was doing medic stuff. Even arbitrary shit like preparing bandages was super radical.
Part-Time Internets Lady

I secretly wish Templars were a bit more like priests, so that I could bother them with mundane confessions about shit that doesn't really matter, in order to absolve my characters of various extremely minor things.

"Lord Templar, forgive me, for I have sinned."
"What is it, you pathetic whelp?"
"Lord Templar, I saw a Lady Templar in the market, and I... Happened to gaze upon her buttocks and had lewd thoughts for but a moment. I am so sorry, M'Lord."
"I am certain the Highlord forgives. Get out of here."

Another confession:

I don't know what the policy is for mentioning this, but I just lost my first character! It hit me like a fuckton of bricks, and I considered quitting then and there. Then I realized... mother of god, that's powerful. I was scared and sad and relieved for my character, all at once.

Second character app is already submitted. Love you, Armageddon.

Its fun as shit, isn't it? I literally lost my first forty characters to death by dehydration exploring the wilderness.

To make that as right as rain to do from any perspective just indicate in your background that you're looking for someone 'cause you lost a family member or for revenge or something.

Course if you're just learning to hunt the hard way... don't use your favorite names on those characters.

My confession is that I thought I was proud of having the lowest wisdom possible. Thinking this, I tried a dwarf with above average wisdom.

Oh god.

I thought that spending all that time doing the grind would pay off in the form of my skills having been hard-won (which is why I love low wisdom.) But that dwarf... was the stupidest fucker in the whole world. I couldn't believe how terrible it was and pity what half-giants have to go through now. And all I wanted was to get my cooking skill to journeyman.

Also--- I play like a disgusting casual on this game. I -am- a disgusting casual. The last time I'd seen combat or excitement was the last three times in the last year, when people had to stuff it down my throat with surprise attacks from every angle.

That guy who sits in the tavern, who obviously doesn't have listen on or psionic skills and probably isn't barriering or waying anyone, who has been holding the same mug of ale from last week and just occasionally looks at people and thinks about cheese? That's me. That's _been_ me for the last three years.

And I love every second of it.

Quote from: Nail on April 29, 2016, 05:28:39 AM
Another confession:

I don't know what the policy is for mentioning this, but I just lost my first character! It hit me like a fuckton of bricks, and I considered quitting then and there. Then I realized... mother of god, that's powerful. I was scared and sad and relieved for my character, all at once.

Second character app is already submitted. Love you, Armageddon.

It was 2002. I was 14 years old. I made something super-cringy like 'the lean man with piercing eyes'.

I entered the game, spent all my coins on a bad ass, bone halberd I couldn't hold, then fell asleep in front of the Gaj. I woke up, naked and penniless. About this time is where people usually say they were rescued by some awesome RP, or some vet took pity on them.

Me? I walked into a VERY fancy bar, naked, and told the nearest Templar to 'Plz kill me cuz I messed this char up'

I've been trying to redeem myself ever since. Ginka forgive me.

The lack of villians make me sad.

My confession is that I haven't played a good villian in awhile. Perhaps it's time to change that. =P
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on May 26, 2016, 04:52:52 PM
The lack of villians make me sad.

My confession is that I haven't played a good villian in awhile. Perhaps it's time to change that. =P
yes.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

I love how often people make elves bad guys....
but I've never played a bad elf.... :X

Yes, I DO SHOUT AT THE SCREEN DURING TENSE SITUATIONS.
Whatever happens, happens.

This game might give my heart a bigger workout than my actual workouts.
How about a scavenger hunt?