Armageddon Confessional

Started by RogueGunslinger, March 14, 2016, 02:45:27 PM

Despite how often I look around I always shit my self when I draw a weapon with 'scrab' in it, or draw  a weapon in general.
Or initiate combat with something.

<derail>

I don't think the adrenaline shakes and things -ever- go away as far as danger to your character and specifically for other players trying to kill you or you trying to kill other players.  It's one of those things where after the fact, people are yelling at how you did it, but if they could be in your brain at the time they'd realize that you were a fumbling mess just trying to make sure you got the commands that you NEEDED to go in right, and you half-typed a shitty emote but then the situation changed and you added a bunch of ===== before you finally hit your backspace key and typed fele a few times.

Then you win.  They get pissed.  And you get judged for all your shitty roleplay.  But you care not.  Exhausted.  You have survived.

This entire scenario seems to start the moment that you either type in that command (before hitting enter), or the first time you get screen-scroll of hostile action.  Bumbling time has begun!
</derail>
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Brief derail, I think thats basically the reason my pc has lasted so long tbh. I literally just survive because poor player control I suppose. Anyways
Derails over

Confession: Ive yet to be uberscrabbed wtfpwnd in my time on arm.

Quote from: Armaddict on April 14, 2016, 12:32:51 PM
It's one of those things where after the fact, people are yelling at how you did it, but if they could be in your brain at the time they'd realize that you were a fumbling mess just trying to make sure you got the commands that you NEEDED to go in right, and you half-typed a shitty emote but then the situation changed and you added a bunch of ===== before you finally hit your backspace key and typed fele a few times.

I confess that this is me every time coded combat initiates
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: Hauwke on April 14, 2016, 10:29:24 AM
Sometimes I literally sit there thinking to myself "Well brain, you get to feel bad irl if this ic friend dies cos your stupid and cant brain"

*sigh* This is the worst part.  
The feeling like I -know- the player on the other end is sitting there staring at their screen going "Alright, you...just do the right thing, make the right choices here and we all come out alive."
And then I panic and my hands get shaky and thinking becomes really hard because there's half a dozen options but the situation -really- calls for me to pick the right choice the first time and execute it flawlessly...
And then I do something like 'draw knief" ...repeatedly.  Because it takes me four or five times to comprehend that of the dozen blades I'm carrying...surprise!  None are actually a knief R-tard.  

Then by the time I figure out I want a knife instead, the situation is far more dire and I might have one viable option left to save the day, and it's usually way past the point of trying to be a hero with a knife.  Argh.

I also confess that I was such a noob for such a long time.  Character after character of such horrible noobness.  I think my first thirty or thirty-five characters were completely unmemorable...even to me most of the times.  I look back on them and remember the names, and some of the backgrounds...but most I just shrug and go..."Eh...not sure who that one was."  I just had it in my head that I wanted to be an exploring ranger-type, no matter what.  And without really knowing how to ranger (you know, not realizing that it was not a wise idea to try and be a wanderer in the grasslands east of Tuluk with one hour played?  Or thinking this place called the Grey Forest sounds real rangery...I'll leave the city and go live there!  Or taking my shiny new character into the Salt Flats then deciding I didn't like the salty climate, I better go all the way east and find some place better...) it never worked out well for me.  I stubbornly kept trying though, because I was sure it was just bad luck.  I think I made something like...seven Ranger/Scavengers in a row, because I sure didn't know how skills worked.  Same as I had only a vague idea of 'score' and 'stat' and your attributes and all that.  I probably had one or two -really great stat beasts- in that bunch...not that I knew.  Heh.
I imagine staff at the time probably rolled their eyes when a daily Ranger/Scavenger app came in from this same player...and I bet they placed bets as to how many hours she'd make it this time.
I know I was sucky, I just wanted to be a super-ranger so bad!

Then for some reason I made a city-based character and kept that creepy assassin/general crafter alive for something silly like two and a half years.
Gein was the character that showed me that I could actually do this roleplaying thing...mostly because it's a lot easier to RP when you aren't running, yet again, from kryl/bahamet/ four spiders/pack of gith/etc because you are sure your that -this- ranger/scavenger is the one who will make it.

I confess I lost a character because in a moment of combat panic, I forgot to sheath a weapon.

On my one-armed warrior.

Who was riding a mount.

Thrown, crunched.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

"(you know, not realizing that it was not a wise idea to try and be a wanderer in the grasslands east of Tuluk with one hour played? "
I see nothing wrong with that.
Avoid a certain mob, IE: Bahamets, and you'll be fine.

I lost a character concept I'd been nursing for ages because I didn't feel like fighting a gortok. I was on my way to log out, so I fled from it...

... random code sent me "up" while mounted, I of course crit-failed, and just sat there and laughed while the damn gortok slowly chewed my unconscious ass to death.

I confess I once fed an obvious newbie PC a certain fruit in-game in the middle of the street only to watch them become poisoned.

When they lost their minds I informed them I had the cure and I would sell it to them.

They asked me how much I wanted for this single basic cure.

I asked them how much they had.

They quoted me their entire starting coin amount, something like 964 coins.

I told them the price was of course nine hundred and sixty four coins.

They paid up and I gave them the cure.

I walked away feeling like a mastermind con artist.

This was over 15 years ago easily. I was only one step up the ladder from "newb" from the guy I was cheating.

I think I died the next IC day to a gortok trying to fight it with my pink flint handaxe.

Roll forward maybe two short-lived PC's later and I have managed to get a mount. I am the king of the world and an awesome ranger who can't be stopped. (It would take nothing to stop me.)

I find another newbie, some sort of pale half-elf. He has no weapons or anything and is obviously still trying to figure out syntax.

I tell him to come with me and I will show him where to get good rocks or something retarded like that.

He follows me.

I lead him out into the scrub until he is exhausted and can't flee.

I kill him while he is unarmed and exhausted and take his starter coins and boots.

Feel like the most cunning raider of all time.

I die within the next two RL days to a carru or something because I'm a stupid nub.  

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: LauraMars on April 14, 2016, 01:02:56 PM
Quote from: Armaddict on April 14, 2016, 12:32:51 PM
It's one of those things where after the fact, people are yelling at how you did it, but if they could be in your brain at the time they'd realize that you were a fumbling mess just trying to make sure you got the commands that you NEEDED to go in right, and you half-typed a shitty emote but then the situation changed and you added a bunch of ===== before you finally hit your backspace key and typed fele a few times.

I confess that this is me every time coded combat initiates

I've probably sparred thousands of times, and fought PvP maybe 25 times. Those have really left me buzzing, but in the end, what's easily given me sweaty hands, hollow-stomach and vibrating nerves the most is just talking certain characters. Those times when you know what you're doing is going to illicit a certain response from people watching... wtf just thinking about it is making me sweat.

Quote from: Delirium on April 14, 2016, 01:39:00 PM
I lost a character concept I'd been nursing for ages because I didn't feel like fighting a gortok. I was on my way to log out, so I fled from it...

... random code sent me "up" while mounted, I of course crit-failed, and just sat there and laughed while the damn gortok slowly chewed my unconscious ass to death.

Oh my god, I'm sorry.

And lmao desertman. I still feel bad for leading someone who was probably a nub into the 'rinth and bludgeoning them to death.

Quote from: Delirium on April 14, 2016, 01:39:00 PM

Fleeing up is so ridiculous.  Especially when there are other escape routes and my character doesn't have climb.
I'm all for 'up' being a flee option if it's the only way out.  But when I'm a character who doesn't even have climb, and I can go N,E,W,S,U in this room...I'm -pretty- sure I'm not going to try and run up a wall instead of any of the other options.

I've repeatedly fled "Up" recently so many times I wonder if it is bugged to have a much higher "chance" than other directions that actually make sense.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

April 14, 2016, 01:52:05 PM #162 Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 01:56:02 PM by Armaddict
Quote from: Desertman on April 14, 2016, 01:50:21 PM
I've repeatedly fled "Up" recently so many times I wonder if it is bugged to have a much higher "chance" than other directions that actually make sense.

Like if it's a case statement and it's case 1 instead of case 9.

Edit:  Confession:  I really want to see Arm's code sometimes.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

There is no spoon.
I absolve you of your sin, Neo!
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

I play solely for the wounds, brutals, and unspeakables. Blessed be the strength stat.

Whatever happens, happens.

No matter who or what I'm playing, I have a bad habit of contacting people and then withdrawing.

QuoteNo matter who or what I'm playing, I have a bad habit of contacting people and then withdrawing.

No matter who or what I'm playing, when people contact me and withdraw I assume they were looking for me and wanted to know if I was online so they can plot something.

I do that because I think about saying something to them and immediately change my mind, often due to self-consciousness, IC or OOC.

When you bust that wound damage off a off hand attack as a warrior with not so good strength.
Mmmmm

You are all more wonderful than you know. Believe in yourselves!
Lâche pas la patate!
Quote from: Asmoth on February 12, 2016, 03:42:53 PM
...I'm almost certain that I shouldn't be pronouncing some of them like Urine-Moose.

Re: average women, and D-man's rants about looks

I confess that I've never played a female character. I don't have the stomach for it.

The closest thing is when I played a transvestite / androgenous character. Codedly and biologically male, descriptively feminine (no personal pronouns in the mdesc), with some typical f-me keywords. Khol and svelte or some shit. Anyhow, the plan was to fuck with mudsex0rs. Go back to their place. Whip out my dick. Kill them. Just some run of the mill trolling for a little flavor role. So I'm hanging around the Folley and some Guilder wanders in, sees my sdesc, doesn't read my mdesc, and begins sleazing on me hard. Walking around the bar and pretending to serve me up drinks personally from the tap. Showing me how "Clan: Guild" he was. Maybe invited me to come talk to him in the back room. I threw up in my mouth a little and then jumped down the well. Can't do it. Too many sex craved neckbeards.

Dman, you claim that hawt female PCs have it easy, and I don't doubt that other players are more friendly and helpful toward them, but oh my god the cringe factor is real!!
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

April 14, 2016, 07:39:56 PM #171 Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 07:42:26 PM by IAmJacksOpinion
Re: Killin' n00bz.

I don't do it anymore (unless they earn it by being more than just innocently obnoxious), but I confess to taking much pleasure in pretending that I'm going to try to. When I'm sitting in the Gaj and the obvious newbies roll in, while everyone else is busy telling them that the Byn is absolutely mandatory clan for first time players, I'm the guy at the end of the bar offering to take them out to the deep desert to help me do a little "mining." Of course I have no intention of doing it, but it's fun to watch people react to it. Sometimes they even try to help me persuade the poor saps. :D
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on April 14, 2016, 07:39:56 PM
Re: Killin' n00bz.

I don't do it anymore (unless they earn it by being more than just innocently obnoxious), but I confess to taking much pleasure in pretending that I'm going to try to. When I'm sitting in the Gaj and the obvious newbies roll in, while everyone else is busy telling them that the Byn is absolutely mandatory clan for first time players, I'm the guy at the end of the bar offering to take them out to the deep desert to help me do a little "mining." Of course I have no intention of doing it, but it's fun to watch people react to it. Sometimes they even try to help me persuade the poor saps. :D

My very first character logs into the Gaj, and I hadn't read the docs, really, but I was like: ok.  Hey guys, I'm looking for my father.  I'll pay money for information!  At least three people ripped me off within the hour.  Only one was an elf.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Confession, I once decided it would be a good idea to do (redacted) with my (redacted) To my surprise this fucker was beast with 0 hours played and killed (redacted) after a grueling fight. Later figured out it was due to a few things I now know make huge differences to stuff.

Quote from: manipura on April 14, 2016, 01:28:27 PM
Gein was the character that showed me that I could actually do this roleplaying thing...

Ohh Gein the numut basket weaving king of Allanak lol

I also remember that time (when you were REAL noob) that you came across that bank wagon with just some npcs inside.  I told you to kill the mul cause he didn't have any weapons and then you paraded yourself around town wearing all the banks armor.. That was some grade A Noobishness.

Speaking of my own Noobish adventures I used to play the rinth like you played your rangers, over and over and over again with little to no concept of improving my strategy thinking "This character is as bad as the last! Well, better make another! Then I'll kick that twitchy slack-jawed guys ass!"   I don't think I've -ever- kicked that guys ass.....

Or the time when Templar So-and-so walked in and looks at me, stands there a minute before finally asking "where's my Bow?"

To which I replied in all noobish honesty "Umm I don't make bows, but maybe I can find a Salarri that can help you?" 

templar - "No my bow!"

me - (pointing to the yellow bow in her hair) You want my bow?  You can't have my bow..
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.