Armageddon Confessional

Started by RogueGunslinger, March 14, 2016, 02:45:27 PM

Quote from: Rathustra on April 06, 2016, 06:14:34 AM
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on April 05, 2016, 11:53:11 PM

But only once every two or three years when people get disposable PCs to fight with.
Speaking of... we're long overdue!
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Gladiator roles are sweet. I would love to play a fatalistic human that dreams of escaping and becoming a senior aide to a top-ranking noble, not for power, not for riches, not even for protection, but because they accomplished something great apart from the deaths of other people and the temporary glee of a crowd. He's reckless, short-sighted (for example, might throw his only weapon into the head of an enemy with two more closer by) and fights like every battle is his last, because that's how badly he wants to escape and make his dreams come true.

I confess that sometimes, Ginka...sometimes...I hate you.

April 13, 2016, 04:45:13 AM #128 Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 05:02:19 AM by Sedora
I confess that a real-life OCD issue I have can't be escaped ICly, and my characters end up compartmentalizing everything they own and often being neat-freaks as a result. On the upside, I'm a GMH warehouse's best friend when I roll a crafter PC?

I also confess that I'm a pattern-thinker, and because of that I can very often track personalities from PC to PC if they have a habit or uniqueness that persists between incarnations. This doesn't affect my gameplay or make me treat them differently on an IC level, but I still feel bad when I can go 'Ha! I know who you were!'

Quote from: Sedora on April 13, 2016, 04:45:13 AM
I also confess that I'm a pattern-thinker, and because of that I can very often track personalities from PC to PC if they have a habit or uniqueness that persists between incarnations. This doesn't affect my gameplay or make me treat them differently on an IC level, but I still feel bad when I can go 'Ha! I know who you were!'
"I'd recognize that nod,shrug,chuckle,blink anywhere!"
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

I confess that I use certain words in my emotes a little too often.
Quote from: AdamBluewear Inix pelvis
You wear a wood-carved inix strap-on on your pelvis.
etwo wood
You reach down and grasp your wood-carved inix strap-on.
kill booty

These days, it takes me a very long time to become truly invested in my characters.

It's probably a good thing, but at the same time, I miss that heart-pounding intensity you only get when you really love the story you're telling.

Until I start to care about them, they're more like social or thought experiments. "What would happen if personality trait x was tossed into situation y?"

I even gave an otherwise very serious character a ridiculous background based off the plot of the Labyrinth, because... why not?

April 13, 2016, 12:24:13 PM #132 Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:29:55 PM by Vositus
Quote from: Delirium on April 13, 2016, 10:44:40 AM
It's probably a good thing, but at the same time, I miss that heart-pounding intensity you only get when you really love the story you're telling.

Somewhat related. I'm currently on my longest lived PC, and I confess that any and every time my character is targeted with ANYTHING I still get overly excited that I'm involved, and often mis-spell/jam weird commands into the keyboard because I can't handle my shit.

I spend way more time organizing my PC's rooms, workstations, and schedules than I do organizing my RL room, workstation or schedule.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on April 13, 2016, 01:36:24 PM
I spend way more time organizing my PC's rooms, workstations, and schedules than I do organizing my RL room, workstation or schedule.
I feel you there.
Quote from: AdamBluewear Inix pelvis
You wear a wood-carved inix strap-on on your pelvis.
etwo wood
You reach down and grasp your wood-carved inix strap-on.
kill booty

my next character is going to be self indulgently, outrageously, unrealistically beautiful
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I forgive you...

... if the next character you play is Mongrel, the horribly pock-faced half-breed with chewed up ears and really bad teeth.

Wait, nevermind, I'm gonna save that one.

I wanna make a family roll thats basically the cast to Samurai Champloo.

The youngster that has super high offense and shit skills in combat that one hands a sword, basically Mugen.
The person with shit offense but godly skills because they went back in time and put in a request for 11 skill bumps.
The young merchant girl that is useless.

Quote from: Sedora on April 13, 2016, 04:45:13 AM
I confess that a real-life OCD issue I have can't be escaped ICly, and my characters end up compartmentalizing everything they own and often being neat-freaks as a result. On the upside, I'm a GMH warehouse's best friend when I roll a crafter PC?

Am SO this ooc, but had a character with a partner, and spent every day messing up the apartment so that they would clean it!  I felt so GUILTY!!!!

Quote from: Delirium on April 13, 2016, 03:54:24 PM
I forgive you...

... if the next character you play is Mongrel, the horribly pock-faced half-breed with chewed up ears and really bad teeth.

Wait, nevermind, I'm gonna save that one.

I think Iyn was the last staggeringly average woman that I remember. That is saying something, considering I'm talking about 2004 or so. Be the change, play.. average.

April 14, 2016, 08:54:08 AM #140 Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 08:55:54 AM by Delirium
I've seen average female PCs far more recently than that.

The problem is that hardly anybody reacts to them like they're average.

wait... this is the confessional thread. Damn it. You tricked me.

Armageddon Confessional: I don't pay enough attention to what thread I'm in.

Back in the day I used to literally "Hunt out the tablelands.", and feel I might be part of the reason all of the holes were added to keep outside "riders" from wanting to come in so often.

This was many years ago.

I haven't actually been back into the tablelands to go hunting when I wasn't a desert elf in more than a few RL years.*

*gith don't count

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Since average or below average attractiveness female characters are the exception and not the rule, playing one is tough.

I confess that the last time I played one, I felt "triggered" because of the random strangers on the street hurling insults at my character that I eventually had to store because every time she would be insulted it would force me to recall the many times I was called names as a kid. When you get called an "ugly lesbian" on the daily from age 12 to 13 among other lovely names it sticks in your psyche.

Since then I make my females at least average in appearance.

The one time I played a below average appearance female that was also accepted was a female half elf who was maybe 40 years old, who I played way back as a noob. Maybe being a noob helped.

I think the "gritty" side of Nakki RP in particular is what made playing an unattractive woman so trying. Tuluk accepted mutants, and I think I played at least three of those there with fun results.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

April 14, 2016, 10:07:37 AM #143 Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:11:27 AM by Desertman
Eh, unfortunately I think that's just part of the game due to the fact we have real life people and not machines playing the characters in the game.

IRL being pretty makes life easier most of the time. It just does.

This goes double/triple for females MOST of the time.

It's wired into us as a species, especially for your standard heterosexual male.

The more attractive the female is the more likely we are to put up with a lot of bullshit to keep her around and/or go the extra mile to attract her.

This translates in game a lot of the time to the cliché stereotype female super-model characters being played and then other characters basically showering them with an easy life.

Unfortunately the opposite end of that spectrum gets thrown into the mix as well.

"There are twenty six super-model quality females for me to pick from and then I see two ugly dames. Not only are they ugly, they are thrown into contrast against twenty six super-model quality -standard- females....which makes them uglier.".

It's like when chicks go out together. If there are three ugly chicks and one -average- chick all together and no other chicks in the bar...."average chick" just got upgraded to "hot chick".

I didn't write human chemistry, I just live in this world.

Now, take that same fundamental logic and apply it to our game world where you have two ugly chicks being thrown into contrast against the twenty six "standard" super-model female PC's you see on the reg.

Just like "average chick" with her ugly friends gets upgraded to "hot", in this case, our two "ugly ducklings" get downgraded to "What the fuck happened to you?".

This also means the few "average looking" gals who exist also get downgraded to, "Shit, nature wasn't kind to you was it?".

With that being said one of my favorite female characters ever was a woman named Rosie who was in my crew that was missing teeth, was sloppily overweight and took great pains to present that, and was as hairy as a gorilla. I nicknamed her Rosie Guts and loved her.  :)

Quote from: Vositus on April 13, 2016, 12:24:13 PM

Somewhat related. I'm currently on my longest lived PC, and I confess that any and every time my character is targeted with ANYTHING I still get overly excited that I'm involved, and often mis-spell/jam weird commands into the keyboard because I can't handle my shit.
Dude I am in the exact same friggen boat here. Legit out done all my others by a few ig years. Thats all I have to say on that touchy subject but hey! Tense-moment-flail-bros for life!

Quote from: Hauwke on April 14, 2016, 10:12:40 AM
Quote from: Vositus on April 13, 2016, 12:24:13 PM

Dude I am in the exact same friggen boat here. Legit out done all my others by a few ig years. Thats all I have to say on that touchy subject but hey! Tense-moment-flail-bros for life!

This still happens to me.

It happens to me when someone tries to kill me and happens to me when I try to kill someone else as well.

I completely forget how to type.

Damn't brain get on board!!!

Dont you hate those moments where: Combat goes full retard and throws a dozen targets in your face, even with combat brief on you cant tell which thing to shove your bone sword into? Sometimes I literally sit there thinking to myself "Well brain, you get to feel bad irl if this ic friend dies cos your stupid and cant brain"
I hate those moments, often resort to assist (name of friend) and spam that bitch until all the things stop twitching.

Strangely enough it isn't a concern for me when it's NPC's, even if it's NPC's by the dozen in major battles.

The only time it's an issue for me in terms of my brain not wanting to brain is when it's another PC coming for me or me going for another PC.

Its actually not the npcs that get me, its the worry that someone is going to bite the metaphorical bullet/bone sword to the face on accident.

Confession: I often eat food with the exact same command emote because im lazy.

despite my extensive know how on game and ability to survive a character, i never succeed to maintain a long lived rinthi character.