Tuluki Caste Tattoos

Started by Hoodwink, October 06, 2003, 02:52:46 PM

You'll have to pardon me if this is already listed in a document somewhere...

I'm just mildly curious, is there (or should there be) a select age when citizen's of Tuluk are given their caste tattoos?  Obviously very young children wouldn't receive them because by the time they are grown up the tattoo has warped and twisted and won't look right.  It may be an interesting ritual for children growing up to be given their caste tattoos at an appropriate age, like 16 or beyond.

I'm also wondering, when it says <hands> [tattoo name] does this mean the palm or the back of the hand, and also is it one hand or both?

For the hands thing, it could be any of those things.  It's like someone wearing an obsidian ring on their face, it could be in the nose, eyebrow, lip, etc.

This and this thread come to mind, but I don't think the topic received immortal address.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

I would suspect that tattoos are applied as a coming of age thing, added when the person is recognized as a citizen in and of their own right. Bear in mind that Zalanthan norms differ considerably from our Western ones - people would be recognized as adults at the age at which they are probably expected to fend for themselves, which is 13 or so.

As far as the hands thing goes, I personally see them as being on the back of a single hand - most probably because I'd hate to get a tattoo on the palm of my hand. How people envision this, however, is soemthign that is probably best left up to them.