So who's hungry?

Started by Culinary Critic, February 29, 2016, 07:12:07 PM

Seen it for years, just brining it up now.

Exaggerated for effect, I admit it.

Code substitute:

look
A striped, buffed up raptor is here, fighting you.
A striped, strung out raptor is here, fighting you.
A big, heavy, rotund carru is here, fighting you.

You stab a big, heavy, rotund carru through the eye, skewering its brain and killing it.
A big, heavy, rotund carru collapses to the ground and gasps his last, eyes beseeching the heavens for comfort.

> think "Now for you Krath-blasted raptors!"
you think:
"Now for you Krath-blasted raptors!"

A striped, strung out raptor savagely consumes the body of a big, heavy, rotund carru, throwing small chunks of organ around messily!

End code flash back!

Okay, not quite exactly as it happened, but close enough.

But, ignoring for the moment that the carru weighs damn near (if not over) a thousand pounds, ignoring for the moment that it was fresh dead and still twitching, ignoring for the moment that it has a RACK of antlers, six legs, a huge mass of bone, hooves, and a heavy pelt.  Don't think about the size of the skull that poor raptor has to poop out, but...

A raptor....

CONSUMES....

an entire carru....

in one round of combat (yes, attacked next round).

Now here's the worst part, at least to me.

How can a raptor consume somewhere around a half ton of carru (antlers, hooves, bones, pelt included), during a single round of combat, without provoking the same damn attack of opportunity that I do when I pick up the simple, wooden shield that I dropped when a carru and two raptors attacked me simultaneously?

I care much, much less for the lost carru than the fact that this is just plain confusing.

We should make creatures use the skin command and consume the meat. This will also confuse people in the wastes who see things laying around and think "A hunter has been here."
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Eh, I don't like the idea of them using the skin command.

A raptor wouldn't leave behind a pelt worth selling if they ripped apart a carru for example to eat it.

I wouldn't mind them leaving behind this though:

The mutilated corpse of a carru.

If you skin it you might get small bits of things one might expect to be left behind.

A piece of carru antler
A piece of bone

Mutilated corpses (killed and devoured by NPC's) if skinned would basically be you scavenging the small remaining tidbits, which seems realistic.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

This is probably remnant code left over from the days when Armageddon was being run on a server less powerful than a calculator is today.

Items in rooms imposed significant memory burdens, if I recall correctly, so certain (especially aggro) mobs were coded to pick shit up and to devour corpses.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I once witnessed a kalich devour a gith with this code.  I had to supply a little of the old imagination to make sense of it IG, although it gave me a good chuckle IRL.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

When you've just seen your best buddy killed by the bahamet you're fighting, and it pauses to suck him out of his plate and all his gear like sucking the guts out of a witchetty grub, all in an instant, without missing a pinch...

Still makes me laugh.

I remember a very touching Byn funeral for a well-liked sergeant.

The unit gathered a few rooms from the west gate with wood and torches for a pyre.

They set down the body and the senior most trooper started a touching memorial speech...

Then a beetle walks in and fucking eats Sarge's corpse!

... I don't think I've ever seen a beast eat a target. Shows how often I go out hunting.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Buzzards can devour a whole inix within seconds, it's amazing!

I had a character leaning against a dead scrab body. He had 12 HP left and I was just playing out a little death scene, hoping Staff (or another scrab) would come along to finish him.

A vulture flew in, ate the body in one go, and flew off. I decided to go home and store after that.