Weight & Encumbrance (Split from RAT)

Started by Delirium, February 29, 2016, 10:44:51 AM

What's the encumbrance number at which I can successfully dodge roll with i-frames?

Quote from: Erythil on March 01, 2016, 07:17:59 PM
What's the encumbrance number at which I can successfully dodge roll with i-frames?

Just lag backstab them.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

For simplicity's sake, I'll just say that a 20-40% increase on encumbrance for all strength levels from elf - dwarfish would be nice for the lower two levels of encumbrance(light, easily managable).  A pretty big boost to the max lift too, in the 100% or doubling range, would be great for game play functionality.  What a healthy human can dead lift is usually more than their own weight and often by a large measure, but perhaps give a much more severe mv penalty for VERY heavy and unbelievably heavy too (1/3 to 1/2 % mv).

I suspect it easier to just bump the lift levels and mv costs than try to find every piece of something that is oddly weighted and fix it, and makes it less distracting in general.  But I am in agreement with the notion these need a redefining.

I don't think it's a bad thing that you have to manage your encumbrance carefully. The issue, for the most part, isn't if you can wear armor or not with a weak character, it's the type of armor you can wear, and the trade-off of survival gear and armor.

When I play hunters/scouts I end up sacrificing armor to carry arrows, extra water and a tent.

When I play a tough warrior, I ditch the extra arrows (although may carry a few) and wear heavier armor and carry less water.

It seems like that makes sense.

Playing a warrior that can't wear a badass greathelm and silt shell plate might not seem cool to you, but it's definitely cooler than tribal delves running around in heavy plate or assassins ganking you while wearing a huge pack + two shoulder satchels on their back.

If anything were to change, I think it should be limiting would strong characters are able to get away with, not increasing what weak characters can carry.

Quote from: roughneck on March 02, 2016, 11:30:33 AM
If anything were to change, I think it should be limiting would strong characters are able to get away with, not increasing what weak characters can carry.

Sounds like adding extra encumbrance reduction for worn armor might be a benefit along these lines.

I don't know if the current system can be picky enough to distinguish between worn clothing and things like quivers and packs.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

QuoteI don't know if the current system can be picky enough to distinguish between worn clothing and things like quivers and packs.

Not sure how I stand on the idea as of yet, but I can tell you putting items into a backpack worn on your back reduces its weight modifier over if it's in your inventory or a bag in your inventory.  How extensive this sort of encumbrance code is, I'm unsure of, but it -is- already there in some form.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger