Main Guild Discussion

Started by wizturbo, February 24, 2016, 03:56:54 PM

We should load them into the arena and make them fight it out!

Watch already gives youy a pretty hefty buff against stealth even when untrained.

you should read the whole thing instead of taking one tiny fraction of it to pick apart.

it's a good idea.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

The topic has been merged.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: Marauder Moe on February 24, 2016, 05:55:45 PM
Watch already gives youy a pretty hefty buff against stealth even when untrained.

I just figured nerfing watch without giving it anything in return might be overdoing it. If you don't think watch needs that buff, fine, just pick either one of the other two ideas.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

With how the subguild changes were handled and the improvements they made, also for a lot of us oldbies it'll be a breath of fresh air. New stuff woohoo!

I feel pretty much the same about the guild changes, I think they'll be new and exciting.

Urge to suicide, RISING! lol
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I guess I am just terrified because I've already been through a "main guild" change scenario and it was not a lot of fun. It destroyed my character conceot and would have meant a total retxon of her story if i hadnt stored. Not the best intro. I am trying to be otimistic though. I do like how the subs were refactored.

I have always loved warriors, and the few skills they DO get over other guilds make them absolutely baller. The one major problem with warriors, has nothing to do with skills.

Warriors are best when put in front of other humans/humanoids/fighters
Rangers are best when put in front of outdoor creaters/beasts/etc

Warrior vs Ranger all depends on the terrain. The trouble is, a warrior needs to get you behind a locked door or in a "controlled" space. A Ranger can get you in any open space but can't do shit inside cities.

More Warrior Love just needs more Humanoid v Humanoid aggression.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Delirium on February 24, 2016, 06:08:55 PM
I guess I am just terrified because I've already been through a "main guild" change scenario and it was not a lot of fun. It destroyed my character conceot and would have meant a total retxon of her story if i hadnt stored. Not the best intro. I am trying to be otimistic though. I do like how the subs were refactored.

Well, unless they break Ranger in to the Archer Guild, the Tracker Guild, the Guide Guild and the Forager guild I don't think we have too much to worry about.

I would like it if witch guilds each got one or two boosts or additional skills that make sense for them, like someone said. Not a lot of skills, but something they could use and incorporate as a code-backed cantrip or a skill they acquired that is possibly magickal in nature.

I doubt rangers will see much change in the end. They're skill-monkeys. They have decent combat effectiveness but a bad stat roll is a lot more important to them than warriors.

I'm stoked about this. Maybe even enough to play a character without storing in the first week. As it stands it feels like 3 of the 6 mundane guilds are the only ones worth playing and if they all get leveled out it could mean a lot more for certain areas of the game.
Part-Time Internets Lady

I'm excited about guilds with different starting levels.  Sometimes I just want to play a character who doesn't need to grind to be useful, and I'm perfectly happy if that means they're never going to become a master.

I love, love grinding. Grinding a skill so I can get to master in time for my mastercraft is... okay, there is more fun to be had doing other things though.

Ranger:  get rid of fletchery, tanning, and bandagemaking.  They need brew for poisoning, but cap it at 5 because fuck soap, tea, and whatever other nonsense brew uses that isn't directly relevant to hunting.  They should start with parry, not branch it.  Otherwise leave them the same.

Warrior:  leave them the same.  I think the warrior skillset is pretty much all they need to do what they do, and do it well, without any extra miscellaneous bull.  Yeah, everyone would like advanced weapons to branch faster, but that's a problem with the skillup code, not the skill tree.  Leave the skill tree alone and fix the skillup code as a separate issue.

Assassin:  start with parry, start with brew -and- poisoning (or have brew and poisoning branch from the same skill at the same time) because it is CRUEL to start a class with poisoning and not brew.  Increase their frickin' climb cap, but don't make it the best.  Screw this branching backstab from sap idea--that's a really terrible idea, for multiple reasons I'm not going to get into.  Raise their foraging cap, because...wtf? Why do assassins have the only gimped foraging ability? It's stupid.  Again, cap their brew at 5, because fuck crafting skills.

Pickpocket:  branch parry (it's much easier with a PP, trust me), start with sneak and hide, give -them- the gimped jman climb skill...maybe some other things, but it's been a while since I played a pickpocket.  Oh, cap their cooking at advanced instead of master, because...really? Why?

Burglar:  give them the highest-capped scan and listen, since they're like supposed to be spies or something.  Highest-capped hide and sneak.  Branch parry eventually, because I think -any- (mundane) class that might eventually get into a fight really ought to be able to block a god damn weapon with a weapon, especially after the defense nerf.  Otherwise more or less fine.

Merchant:  haven't played a good one in a long time...if it hasn't already been fixed, stop making armor-making branch from armor-repair.  Branch repair and making from leatherworking.  End all the stupid branches that come from woodworking, because the contrivances you have to go through to get wood in Allanak are ridiculous.  Branch those skills from something else.

Magicker guilds:  I got nothin'.  Screw those weirdos.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I know this has to do with adjusting guilds, not creating them. However my imagination went a bit wild earlier today:

Time Witch

Speed Up
Lower/remove command delays for everything.

Slow Down

Forced extra delays on commands.

Mark/Rewind
Sets a recorded point that remembers hp/stun/stam/status(poison, magick buffs) and allows you to return to that point once.

Pause
No commands/movement in a room for certain amount of time. If someone is attacked they become unpaused and receive no delay.

Reflexes
Dodge missiles. Including magickal missiles. Increases dodge/parry chance.

Awareness.
Lower chance of crit hits. Increase your crit success chance.

Time-Shield.
Stops death once, leaves you with hp amount that is affected by power level. Time Shield also allows for movement in paused area.

Stop Aging.
Yep, you like it.

Accelerate Aging.

Ah-huh

Reverse Aging.
Oh fuck yes, you know you want it.

Omniscience.
You know what they're going to do before they do it and always have the element of surprise. This means you always get the first round of combat, and if you initiate, you get the double-attack bug.

Time mage Agressor oh baby
Oh baby

Though most of their shit sounds like psionics
Cause you know
Dark sun had time travel
Armageddon has seeing into the future.
LOOKING AT YOU MUK

One thing I'd like to take a look at is the city/wilderness divide.

For one, it's dumb.  Either just give city folks sneak, or some ability that lets them sneak and run.  Sneak and run in the wilderness sounds like a bad idea anyway, so you have a city version of sneak without the purely arbitrary divide.

If you remove hide from most city hiders, you could either replace it with a skill that prevents people from being looked at while they're affected by movement delay, or you can just prevent everybody from being looked at while under movement delay.  Say they're moving too fast to see much detail or something. (Peek could get around this, potentially)

And there's no good reason to gimp listen and scan based on city or wilderness.  It just prevents people from going to certain areas, it doesn't encourage a particular style of play.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 24, 2016, 08:04:04 PM
I know this has to do with adjusting guilds, not creating them. However my imagination went a bit wild earlier today:

Time Witch

Oh fuck yes, you know you want it.

I don't think I could actually seriously comment vis-a-vis whether such a thing would actually fit the world much without touching on magick code... Could use a name for their Element. Unless we want to just call their element "Time" and refer to them all as "Timmies"

It seems like that time magick guild would have a lot of spells be much more permanent in nature than the ones we already have. This is not a criticism, but I think that if spells had the potential to be so permanent, we already would have a few such ones.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

They could be something other than elementalist, like psionicist(I think????) are.

Just give it to psionicists ;.;