Just a little statistic.

Started by Callisto, October 05, 2003, 07:36:48 PM

You know, I was just reading back over this entire thread. We are so far off topic now that it is astounding, and yet it is still relevant to the game. It is good when we can get a discussion going like this, where it can veer and swerve and dive, and inspire thought and debate on the world in which we play in. We may not agree much upon everything, but it certianly offers up alternate views and various choices of play, as well as perhaps serving to open our eyes a bit.

From now on, perhaps we should not discount going off topic quite so fast. This particular swerve has offered up some nuggets of wisdom and examples of well thought-out and valid postings by various minds, and that is certianly good. If we can primarily stay civilized when engaging in these long and enlightening debates, we will not only better ourselves, but also give to the community at large, for there are a goodly number of folks who do not post much at all, but very likely read each and every post.

Kudos, folks.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Yes, but if you're blending in as you describe, X-D, that means you are changing your accent to match someone else's, which in turn means you will then sound different to someone else.  If you create some sort of accent that sounds somewhere in between a Brit and an Aussie that means you still sound different to an American.  Perhaps it's different in game because the only coded accents are Southern, Northern and Rinthi, however, when applying it to real life there are just too many accents in the English language to sound "normal" to every ear.  Some accents are so different that speaking in some sort of "middle ground", between one accent and the other, just isn't possible -- I like to think this can be applied with at least two of the Arm accents.  Imagine trying to convince me that you can speak English in such a way that someone from Nigeria (English speaking section) and someone from Kentucky both think you sound like natives from their own land while addressing them simultaneously.  IMPOSSIBLE!

I realize this has gone completely off track here but I still felt it one of those game schematics that really needs to be considered.

Of course that would be impossible to do, but why would you want to try? Unless you were trying to be a comedian.

In that situation you have basicly a choice between sounding like one of them or sounding like neither.

Point is really, I lived in SC for a year, now, in just 10 min or so I can fall back into the manner of speaking for the area I was in, So, that in a room full of natives from SC you will not be able to easily pick me out as the yank.

In Ohio there are 3 regional accents, I can easily do all 3, in michigan there are 2 regional accents and one region also has several sub accents.

If I am in Ohio and I'm talking to 2 people, one with the toledo/cleveland accent, and the other with the cinci accent I simply use the columbus/dayton accent, An accent both people have heard and know are from Ohio....Make sense? This way they do not know I'm a hated Michigander :twisted:
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I think any discussion about accents should note that from what I've read by the staff, the known world is like, the size of Nevada.

So think of it this way, Hoodwink.  In New England a real Maine hick is going to sound a lot different from a dyed in the wool 'Yankees suck' Boston rube.

But those are opposite ends of that spectrum.  Every day I meet some people who don't have a discernable accent that I could place.  I talk to a lot of them on the phone as well.  People in California, people in Colorado, people in Charlotte.  Without accents.  And then some who do.

So someone without a noticeable accent isn't displaying the characteristic traits of that any particular accent.

But due to the geographical closeness of the two city-states, I don't think the extremes in accent would be as far removed as some bloke from Austrailia is from some Cajun guy in Louisiana.