Bestiary Page Discussion

Started by Miradus, February 12, 2016, 11:20:00 AM

The in-game bestiary is missing a lot of critters and it doesn't include their short descs in the helpfiles.

You'll look east and see "A jagged-shelled reptilian creature" and not know whether it's dangerous unless you get close. Then you find out its name and there's a helpfile for it which says, "OMG RUN JUST RUN IT'LL KILL YOU DEAD". But it's difficult to tell that at a distance.

Is there a more complete bestiary on the forum somewhere that would give out information a person born into Zalanthas might reasonably know? Or standing legends/stories/tales about certain areas which is documented?

Quote from: Synthesis on February 12, 2016, 11:18:32 AM
Yeah, if you just started playing, there's literally no way you've reached the pinnacle of what's possible.

Basically, what you can solo in melee is based on how much damage it can do in single shots, because no matter how awesome your warrior is, his defense is not impenetrable.  If you're fighting things that can nail you for 60+hp on a lucky shot to the head or neck...eventually one of those things is going to get lucky back-to-back head and neck shots that will kill you, no matter how awesome you are.

I've played a certain type of character long enough to see progression, but that's it. I started sometime in late December or early January, I think.

I don't fully understand how combat works, but when the first round some creature nails off 80 hp and sends me reeling, I can kind of guess that I'm not ever going to reach the point where I can handle that solo. At that point I hit my flee key and hope that it misses its "seize the opening" attack or I'm a goner.

Observation of creatures has been a huge safety net. The way mobiles interact with each other is helpful. If I see a roaming waghoo take down a grazing gibbler and I know that I can't yet handle a gibbler then I also know I should stay away from the waghoo.

The game is intuitive enough that a lot of stuff just clicks, but there's some oddities that just go the exact opposite way that it ought to work.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Also there's a typo on the Gormi page (which I just happened to open because I had never heard of it before)

http://armageddon.org/help/view/Gormi
Despite moving slowly with tiny claws to brace its weight, the gormi appears agile, using a long tale for balance

You misunderstood the helpfile - they actually have to tell long stories to keep themselves up.

(fixed the typo)

Quote from: Nergal on February 12, 2016, 01:05:54 PM
You misunderstood the helpfile - they actually have to tell long stories to keep themselves up.

(fixed the typo)

*snickers*

Kryl could use some updating to show their new distribution, just to not be deceiving.

Man...most of that just makes me want to be hardcore and awesome and explore more of the Grey Forest.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Awesome!

There's a broken link called "Scroption" on that page. I think I know what it was supposed to be, lol.

That's just a scorpion that gives you an option about whether you want to be stung or not.

(fixed that typo too)

Split off all the bestiary page discussion cause it doesn't actually have a thing to do with decaying items!

Also, this is awesome.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

omg, Gnu are goats.  DR SEUSS GOATS

I want a pet gnu
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on February 12, 2016, 01:52:22 PM
omg, Gnu are goats.  DR SEUSS GOATS

I want a pet gnu

Based on prior RL experience with pet goats, gnu should have the scavenger code, except it would target clothes and artwork. Leave them unattended in your noble estate at your peril.

Will there be a gizhat page at some point?
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

Awesome!  And scroption sounds like a disease.  Probably the kind you really don't want.

(Also, kagor is not capitalized in the main list.)
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: Miradus on February 12, 2016, 11:25:03 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on February 12, 2016, 11:18:32 AM
Yeah, if you just started playing, there's literally no way you've reached the pinnacle of what's possible.

Basically, what you can solo in melee is based on how much damage it can do in single shots, because no matter how awesome your warrior is, his defense is not impenetrable.  If you're fighting things that can nail you for 60+hp on a lucky shot to the head or neck...eventually one of those things is going to get lucky back-to-back head and neck shots that will kill you, no matter how awesome you are.

I've played a certain type of character long enough to see progression, but that's it. I started sometime in late December or early January, I think.

I don't fully understand how combat works, but when the first round some creature nails off 80 hp and sends me reeling, I can kind of guess that I'm not ever going to reach the point where I can handle that solo. At that point I hit my flee key and hope that it misses its "seize the opening" attack or I'm a goner.

Observation of creatures has been a huge safety net. The way mobiles interact with each other is helpful. If I see a roaming waghoo take down a grazing gibbler and I know that I can't yet handle a gibbler then I also know I should stay away from the waghoo.

The game is intuitive enough that a lot of stuff just clicks, but there's some oddities that just go the exact opposite way that it ought to work.

Hey.
Shields.
Use em

Gnu are a disgusting example of a real-world creature getting into the game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnu

#keepzalanthasweird

oh god get that thing out of my game.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

New dwarf focus: Hunt the Most Dangerous Game.

P.S. Humans are way down on that list.

These are Dark Sun Gnus, remember.

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: John on February 12, 2016, 06:38:36 PM
New dwarf focus: Hunt the Most Dangerous Game.

P.S. Humans are way down on that list.

Depends on which human you choose.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Jihelu on February 12, 2016, 03:14:29 PM
Quote from: Miradus on February 12, 2016, 11:25:03 AM
...stuff about scary critters...
Hey.
Shields.
Use em

I had a dwarf whose focus (Get rid of the kryl!) led to him tromping all over the Grey Forest alone soloing scurry things, and I actually found it far more effective to etwo.

"The best defense is a good offense."
~Olde durfan saying.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Yeah, shield versus etwo is an old argument in any game system.

While in real life the shield just would make absolute sense, it doesn't make sense in almost any game system I've played in.

Each round of combat your opponent is going to roll against your shield check in some way, whereas the opponent you killed QUICKLY will have less rounds at which to attempt to hit you.

That's not to say I'm not a fan of the shield, but I don't know if the shield is properly coded to have all of the utility that a shield ought to have. There's literally hundreds of videos out there on Youtube demonstrating shield use beyond blocking your opponent's attack.