Making outposts more attractive options

Started by Dresan, February 11, 2016, 08:47:15 PM

Quote from: Vwest on February 21, 2016, 01:53:22 AM
I would love to see some apartments in Morins.

It's the perfect 'frontier' type of town where a lane of a dozen log cabins would be completely thematic.

I like this idea.

It feels "cozy" in my mind.

+1
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Barsook on February 22, 2016, 08:13:00 AM
Quote from: solera on February 22, 2016, 03:04:57 AM
Morins. Not a new thought. I'd like to see an update to the rumour board occasionally, telling the story of some poor sod that has come from the city. To give a hint, to new PCs and others, of what it's like back there.

Yeah.  The playerbase hasn't heard of anything from Tuluk in ages now.  :(
It is virtually open and stuff, it's not some locked up fortress

Ehhhh, not really. It's kind of in a North Korea situation. The gates are shut to everyone except those who has passes (or the money to bribe their way in).

Your average Tuluki commoner PC cannot get in to Tuluk.

Tuluk has been annexed by the Imperium and Muk is a lost primarch

The Dragon is a Warp entity and Zalanthas is scheduled for exterminatus

Finally, I can openly proclaim my dedication to Khorne.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on February 22, 2016, 05:29:15 PM
Ehhhh, not really. It's kind of in a North Korea situation. The gates are shut to everyone except those who has passes (or the money to bribe their way in).

Yeah they can. They can virtually visit family. If they're a marked family.

Quote from: Erythil on February 22, 2016, 06:19:08 PM
Tuluk has been annexed by the Imperium and Muk is a lost primarch

The Dragon is a Warp entity and Zalanthas is scheduled for exterminatus

So, wait.

Does that make everyone in the Tablelands orks, or...?
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Quote from: Case on February 22, 2016, 06:53:20 PM

And out??

In Morin's, there is a rumour board that contains posts from the Tuluk rumour board before the big events.  I'm not sure what rumours are up there, but there's also this from the chronology page:
1641 (Year 24 Age 22)

Unaffiliated southern refugees are rounded up from various slums in Tuluk by the Legions. Several weeks after the first disappearances, a force led by High Templar Jurinia Winrothol takes a force of listless figures masked by burlap sacks to the northern gates of Ten'Sarak, along with regular soldiers of His Legions, including the Sun's Furies, and various Faithful. After a short siege, the Tuluki forces break through the northern gate and systematically slaughter the remaining southern troops in the encampment before setting it ablaze. Tuluk abandons the razed camp and claims victory over Allanak.

High Templar Jurinia's shambling force grows as citizens and non-citizens alike begin to disappear from the streets of Tuluk. Riots begin to take place, and templars for and against High Templar Jurinia square off in the Red Sun Commons. The encounter ends with High Templar Poma Uaptal knocking High Templar Jurinia unconscious and calling for the gates of Tuluk to be closed. Denizens of Tuluk flee as fighting emerges between the two factions within the Unified Order.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

what we can draw from that is that those gates are shut and not opening.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: solera on February 23, 2016, 03:47:44 AM
Quote from: Case on February 22, 2016, 06:53:20 PM

And out??
Yeah. It was posted about at the time after it closed. It's not like people don't need to eat, so at least trade will be occurring right?

As long as virtual citizens are still able to steal virtual belshun fruits from heavily guarded trees while Staff isn't looking, I'm good with it!
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

February 23, 2016, 02:19:33 PM #37 Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 02:26:22 PM by nauta
What's REALLY important, however, is that

... [t]he encounter ends with High Templar Poma Uaptal knocking High Templar Jurinia unconscious.

A High Templar KO.  Tres tulucois.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Everytime I think about that scene, I wish staff hadn't kind of mucked up announcing how the closure was actually going to play out. I probably wouldn't have stored or been so disgruntled over it.

Anyway, uh, log cabins in Morin's, please. Or another converted watch tower.

February 24, 2016, 04:54:37 AM #39 Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 05:04:40 AM by Jingo
The nasties around red-storm should be looked at. Particularly in the way they interact with certain crowd controlling magicks that flip their run flag and make them 1000 times more dangerous. If you're a non-combat, they can walk in and kill you before you even blink. I've been bringing this up for a long time, I wish staff would look into it.

Otherwise none of the monsters in the wilderness are dangerous if you have decent ride. It's when you run into complications that gets you killed. Such as sandstorms, mismanaged resources (stamina, health, food, water), tracking critters and often lag.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Eh, I'm not sure some weird edge-case where a critter gets its run flag flipped on by fleeing away from an obscure spell warrants a code overhaul.

If you can't survive a first-round assault without the potential for being reel-locked...you should think twice about riding through drov beetle country, or you should accept the fact that occasionally, you're going to be beetle food because of your high-risk behaviors.

If nasty things were always easy to flee from, they wouldn't really be very nasty at all.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

February 24, 2016, 03:50:37 PM #41 Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 03:52:28 PM by Jingo
Quote from: Synthesis on February 24, 2016, 10:50:09 AM
Eh, I'm not sure some weird edge-case where a critter gets its run flag flipped on by fleeing away from an obscure spell warrants a code overhaul.

If you can't survive a first-round assault without the potential for being reel-locked...you should think twice about riding through drov beetle country, or you should accept the fact that occasionally, you're going to be beetle food because of your high-risk behaviors.

If nasty things were always easy to flee from, they wouldn't really be very nasty at all.
I disagree. That's 90% of characters. I've played staff-sponsored roles based in the particular area that could have gotten insta-gibbed by beetles. Even if my whole clan was traveling together, there would have been no saving the one that got beetle-mac'd.

Also it happens plenty often, with all the mages that live in Red Storm.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

If you can't survive a first-round assault without the potential for being reel-locked...you should think twice about riding through drov beetle countryever going to Red Storm, or you should accept the fact that occasionally, you're going to be beetle food because of your high-risk behaviors.

Diagonal look + running beetle instant attack + reel lock creates a perfect enough storm that, though rare, is nasty. I don't know if the simple, direct route to RS from Nak is supposed to carry THAT level of instagib risk. I wouldn't call wanting to visit RS an inherently high risk behavior. I think there's a balance point between 'this game is so easy, it's boring', and 'RP that could be enhanced by allowing people and plots to mingle between towns and cities is stifled because few people feel safe enough to travel between even the closest ones.'
I didn't realize the cause for them sometimes attacking extra rapidly, though I recall having seen them in that state from time to time. As Jingo's suggestion goes, if the 'run' that permits them to enter and immediately attack faster than lag + human reaction could be dropped back to walk, that would be sufficient for people to at least try to get away.
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

February 24, 2016, 06:38:01 PM #43 Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:46:03 PM by Jingo
I remember once staff put fear on a bahamet so that it would run away from our badass legion squad. Or maybe just from Brot.

Somewhere in the next few days, that same bahamet nearly wiped the unit.

For that reason alone I think fear code should be looked at.

There should be a code that prevents animals from being fucking stupid.
Gortok rushing a room of five soldiers?
Stupid.
Mekillot doing it?
Mekillot is smart, it shall eat good tonight.
Mekillot rushing a group of two battalions?
Lets not.

Quote from: Jihelu on February 24, 2016, 08:13:29 PM
Stupid.
Mekillot doing it?
Lets not.

Or the kagor lemming waves.
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

Quote from: Jihelu on February 24, 2016, 08:13:29 PM
Stupid.
Mekillot doing it?
Lets not.

Not just animals either. How about a lone gith attacking a group of three half-giants? A group of T'zai Byn?
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Jingo on February 24, 2016, 03:50:37 PM

I disagree. That's 90% of characters. I've played staff-sponsored roles based in the particular area that could have gotten insta-gibbed by beetles. Even if my whole clan was traveling together, there would have been no saving the one that got beetle-mac'd.

Also it happens plenty often, with all the mages that live in Red Storm.

I think that's a reasonable cost of doing business in Red Storm as a magicker.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

February 25, 2016, 10:52:16 AM #48 Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:18:30 AM by Jingo
I was not playing a magicker.

It'd be reasonable if the confluence of magickers in Redstorm could actually be icly attributed to making the creatures more dangerous. At the moment it's just a quirk of the code.

And no I still don't see the point of the beetles themselves. All they serve is to clean out the population of Redstorm that arn't 10daymagickers/10daywarrangers. Which might make sense for places like cenyr or the mul outpost. But not for any area that is a starting location.

I like the idea of beetles murdering people outside of the smaller settlements. The same with Yompars and Kryl in Morins, and everything south of Luirs. Besides I could swear they were already made less dangerous by spawning them off the path to Allanak. But that might have been my imagination.