The value of homes

Started by Dresan, February 10, 2016, 08:58:37 PM

February 10, 2016, 08:58:37 PM Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:54:11 AM by Dresan
Its great seeing how much more livable being in luirs currently is after it got the shanties. I love how they were added to, in order to fit into the baileys.  I would also love to see morins and maybe someday Cenyr getting its own version of housing. There is nothing wrong with redstorm but its a shame its the only half livable place for someone looking to make a new life for themselves if things hit the fan in allanak. Kurac has too much invested interest in Allanak to make Luirs a desirable getaway place.  

I also feel like redstorm should get its own bank. I don't mean a nenyuk bank, I mean its own bank. Maybe with a different withdraw rate. So if you deposit coins there, you can only withdraw coins there and not in Nenyuk banks.

I dunno how well that last point would work out. Maybe Nenyuk would try to strangle the 'new' bank in its crib or maybe it'll gain a reputation for catering to 'honest' people that it will want to keep. That 'other' bank would be for runaways, deserters, raiders and escaped slaves, while we have the 'good' bank.

How do you know there's not a bank down one of those alleys?

I'd suggest* trying

> talk thick.figure topics 

*if you want to die
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Dresan on February 10, 2016, 08:58:37 PM
I also feel like redstorm should get its own bank. I don't mean a nenyuk bank, I mean its own bank. Maybe with a different withdraw rate. So if you deposit coins there, you can only withdraw coins there and not in Nenyuk banks.

Having to drag back the 5000 'sids you just made tailoring some sleeves all the way back to 'Nak is one of the few game economy balance left in the game!
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

if bank exists in red storm

how will raider beetle get rich enough to buy silt horror armor
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

I want each center of civilization to get its own bank and for currency not to transfer between branches.

Your balance in Allanak is your balance IN Allanak.

Your balance in Luir's is your balance IN Luir's.

It would promote a new level to the economics of the game.

Things like moving fortunes between cities/towns and hiring people to guard you/possibly screw you over would become a thing.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I'd be fine with it going as far as Redstorm using their own money.
The sanddollar.
It's just sand.
Everyones rich.

I keep reading this as "The value of homies" and keep wanting to whip out a long post on the benefit to making PC friends.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 10, 2016, 11:32:41 PM
I keep reading this as "The value of homies" and keep wanting to whip out a long post on the benefit to making PC friends.

Oh good, I'm not the only one misreading it!

Quote from: Synthesis on February 10, 2016, 09:23:49 PM

I'd suggest* trying

*if you want to die
You'll take a clubbing in interest rates that just aren't worth your time.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

February 11, 2016, 09:03:17 PM #12 Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:12:51 PM by Inks
Quote from: Synthesis on February 10, 2016, 09:23:49 PM

I'd suggest trying

I loved this information being made public, but the syntax is discuss talk.thick topics.

No, no, that's definitely not it, I just tried. It's:

> oral big.thick headers

Red Storm should use spice as currency.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on February 11, 2016, 11:34:09 PM

In my experiences (probably 40ish % of my nine years) coins have little value to non-city folk characters in Storm.
Probably 70% of business transactions I have been a part of/witnessed in Storm involved no coins.  Same goes for tribals.
It's one of the ways Stormers and desert folk identify city slickers right off the bat.

People who live in/off the sands have very little use for coins, and the playerbase does an excellent job of expressing so in-game.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on February 29, 2016, 06:24:21 PM
Quote from: Molten Heart on February 11, 2016, 11:34:09 PM

In my experiences (probably 40ish % of my nine years) coins have little value to non-city folk characters in Storm.
Probably 70% of business transactions I have been a part of/witnessed in Storm involved no coins.  Same goes for tribals.
It's one of the ways Stormers and desert folk identify city slickers right off the bat.

People who live in/off the sands have very little use for coins, and the playerbase does an excellent job of expressing so in-game.

This was true, and is still true, and it is incredibly awesome. A good weapon, armor, or something useful usually goes a long way in these parts.

However, if only for  playability you still need something to trade with the shops for their goods, and coins still serves as a good medium with them at least.

Meh, most things in Storm are relatively cheap and low quality.
Other than food and water, there's not much you would need to buy from the shops once you've spent all of your starting sid.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Good but pricey as hell. Or not?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Could mostly be shitty houses that would still be a place for insanely wealthy ranger/armormakers to spend some portion of their mad cash. And a couple of real nice houses only available to people who work for the city or something.

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on March 02, 2016, 11:59:20 PM
Could mostly be shitty houses that would still be a place for insanely wealthy ranger/armormakers to spend some portion of their mad cash. And a couple of real nice houses only available to people who work for the city or something.

I'm pretty sure we have warehouse for that.... or do you mean in Luirs/Red Storm?  In which case, no.  Those aren't large enough places where houses should be attainable by a normal PC.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on March 02, 2016, 11:05:35 PM
Houses for rent. Good idea?

They used to exist IG, but were for sale, not rent, IIRC.  Apartments work better, I think.  More manageable (both for staff and players).
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Do nobles live in a single estate together (Lord Assface Oash lives in the Oash estate, while Lady Creambutt Rennik and Lord Shutup Rennik live together in the Rennik estate.) Or are they able to own their own fine house individually in the noble's quarter? I'm guessing its the former, from what I've heard.

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on March 11, 2016, 07:59:12 PM
Do nobles live in a single estate together (Lord Assface Oash lives in the Oash estate, while Lady Creambutt Rennik and Lord Shutup Rennik live together in the Rennik estate.) Or are they able to own their own fine house individually in the noble's quarter? I'm guessing its the former, from what I've heard.

The former.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

No further locking away of people to sit about quietly, please.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on March 13, 2016, 08:56:36 PM
No further locking away of people to sit about quietly, please.

If that's what people want to do, as much effort should be made to accommodate them as there is the tavern sitters.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

I liked the housing system in Harshlands a lot.  There are basically areas which are defined as housing zones, and you buy a deed that randomly generates a home from a template as an enterable room.  So you walk into a field and you'll see stuff like:

A white-fenced pasture is here
A blue-fenced pasture is here
A greystone farmhouse is here
A dilapidated, pockmarked shanty is here

And then each one is enterable, lockable, etc.

I think housing is a nice feature and a valuable money sink to prevent the runaway inflation that defines the current game economy, and there's no reason not to allow people to get 'their' little slice of the world.

Supposedly though there is currently a hard cap on the number of save rooms in the game so a system that generates more would probably break the game.