Lumberjacking.

Started by Wacky woodsman., October 05, 2003, 11:26:17 AM

I'm finding that my pc that has the lumberjacking skill can do a bunch of things with logs that others cannot do...however he cannot chop down a tree better than the average axeswinger? :shock:
I'd think that having some knowledge in lumberjacking would allow one to know what sort of tree to pick out, where to begin chopping to properly fall the tree in different situations.
It's a bit frustrating to take your lumberjack out and chop himself to nearly complete exhaustion three or four times in a row and not fall a single tree one time, and another to walk up and drop two in two swings of the axe... :roll:
Are there any plans for woodcutting to take into account the lumberjacking skill?
I sure hope so, it would make sense to me anyways.

Considering your character is most likely northern, and much of the northern economy relies on wood, I think many northerners would know how to chop down a tree. It's not exactly rocket science and I don't think there's much skill to it beyond being able to hit the same place again and again.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Quote from: "Carnage"Considering your character is most likely northern, and much of the northern economy relies on wood, I think many northerners would know how to chop down a tree.

I like to think that Zalanthas is a wasteland.  Seemingly a flourishing land in abundance with flora by comparison to the rest of the scarcely inhabitable world, the Gol Krathu is still desert.  A vast majority of the trees in the Agafari Forest rooms are described as having dunes of sand that pile so high half of their trunks are burried.  And it's not until you go real deep into the forests that you encounter dense plantlife, unlike the sparse plains closer to Tuluk, occasionally dotted with trees.  Within those forests lurk halfling, a creature whose civilization proves unconquerable while they happily defend and claim the only truly lush piece of land in a decaying world, defiled by magicks.  Despite that Tuluk's economy may thrive on wood, I don't think it's fair to assume anyone from that city-state has the know-how (and guts) to waltz into the wilderness and take up the trade of lumberjacking.  I think this would be reserved to only a select few, otherwise, realistically, the Grey Forest would rapidly diminish in size (in an already diminishing world) and then there would be no wood.  Also, severing a tree isn't as simple as it may sound, especially not when you are trying to do it with an instrument made out of rock or bone!

Not that that has anything to do with the lumberjacking skill  :P

All I'm saying is that you'd think someone with the skill would be able to fall a tree more often than those without...or at least more consistantly.

Quote from: "Carnage"Considering your character is most likely northern, and much of the northern economy relies on wood, I think many northerners would know how to chop down a tree. It's not exactly rocket science and I don't think there's much skill to it beyond being able to hit the same place again and again.

You've obviously never tried to chop down a tree.  You must have at least seen a lumberjacking competition on TV?

I agree completely with Wacky Woodsman.  Chopping down trees is definitly a skill (in real life), and if it isn't (in game) and can't be included in Lumberjacking, it should get a skill of its own.

I dont think being a lumberjack affects your ability to chop down trees as the code stands..I have only chopped down 2 trees with my current Pc who isn't a lumberjack. One tree took me about 18-19 swings the second I knocked down in 2 swings seems completely random to me. I completely agree, that the lumberjack subclass should add something to the users ability to fell a tree quickly and efficently.
nce an arm junkie, always an arm junkie!!

Quote from: "Gorobei"
You've obviously never tried to chop down a tree.  You must have at least seen a lumberjacking competition on TV?

I agree completely with Wacky Woodsman.  Chopping down trees is definitly a skill (in real life), and if it isn't (in game) and can't be included in Lumberjacking, it should get a skill of its own.
Kind of what I was going to say.  There is definitely skill involved in chopping trees.  Just watch the lumberjacking competitions on ESPN.  Not only how and where to strike the tree, but wedges and other tools are incorporated.
harlie Bucket: Mr. Wonka, they won't really be burned in the furnace, will they?
Willy Wonka: Well, I think that furnace is only lit every other day, so they have a good sporting chance, haven't they?

I'd have to agree. The dudes on those lumberjacking shows could whack down four or five in the amount of time my doughy ass could manage one. They know just where to hit them, and have amazing aim...definately a skill that is developed, and something I agree lumberjacks should be better at then your average person. Sure, plenty of people probably go out chopping trees around Tuluk...but for lumberjacks, it's supposed to be their LIFE. They should be able to do it better than that dwarven mercenary, who does it from time to time to make a bit of extra coin.

Wouldn't it depend on the kind of axe you were using, your strength, and the size, type, and strength of the tree?
uppers.