Bar Fighting

Started by Chettaman, February 07, 2016, 02:05:46 AM

I just want to encourage people to be more creative in their brawling. If you hit someone with the ''hit'' command in a bar I say that you have a choice. You can... let the echo that appeared be what happened or you can quickly come up with an action of your own. For example:
"I'm gonna put my foot in your ass, necker!"
the dood swings at you, but misses.
>hit dood
You drive your elbow into his ribs!
---
in this moment. You can continue to emote elbowing the guy in the ribs or... whatever else sounds cool to you. Nothing ''outlandish'' of course.
>emote steps on %dood toe!
>emote grabs a nearby bottle and shatters it over %dood head!
>emote shoves ~dood before sending ^me forehead straight into %dood nose!
>emote kisses %dood nose, doing horrendous damage to ^dood pride!

you can emote before or after - or both.
But I /really/ want to see people get creative with this. I really do.

Now. The same applies for when someone hits at you and you counter them.
The dood throws a punch at you and you duck away before uppercutting him!
>emote after easily batting %dood punch aside, @Me jabs ^dood in the face.
>emote doesn't actually retaliate at all, he just backs off.
>emote slips in a pool of vomit, luckily avoiding the chair that was swung at his back - that now finds itself swung into ~dood
>emote back-flips off of a table onto %dood

you know... I just thought I'd bring this up. It didn't seem like everyone knew they could be so creative during a brawl.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

I support this.  Especially the nose kissing.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

Quote from: WanderingOoze on February 07, 2016, 05:06:23 AM
I support this.  Especially the nose kissing.

Lips on elves...ewwww *shudders*, honestly though I think that the brawl code opens a lot of avenues for some creativity and I personally have no issue at all with someone deciding to use all, some, or none of the code generated message as long as the outcome of said emote is reflected in the result of the brawl attempt. Not much is more entertaining IMO than watching people beat up gicks and sharps in the Gaj, more brawling please!

Right. I think if a ''hit'' is successful, the person doing the hitting should be allowed to emote  whatever they want (within reason).
Live like God.
Love like God.

I'd like to encourage people to be more hostile during bar fights. So they feel more like fights and less like fooseball games.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I always thought the brawl messages were entertaining on their own. But maybe that's because I haven't seen them a hundred times before. I'm surprised anyone has time to flesh out brawl code messages considering they scroll across the screen so fast. I also feel like you shouldn't deviate too far from what is "actually" happening, or you start creeping into poweremote territory. It's a grey area to me.

I'd also like to think there isn't too much pressure to flesh out *every* hit, because I know I'm not that creative and I as a player avoid brawls because I don't want to be "that boring person" who just hits and doesn't flesh it out.

I want people to be aware of greater brawling possibilities because I feel like it may end up inspiring other types of greater roleplay.

I guess there should also be an etiquette, because I feel like that guy who uses hit like five times in a row is nuts.
There should be a hit from one guy and if he succeeds or fails the other person should be the next person to use hit. (I myself try to ignore when ''someone gets in between you fighting'')

But after using hit (successfully or otherwise) I wait for the next person's response.
>Hit dood - you give him a good right-cross!
>emote puts ~dood a headlock
... wait
The dood elbows you in the ribs!
(in this moment - I know it's already the perfect come back, but like I said. I imagine and expect someone...)
The dood grabs your wrist and bends over flipping you onto your back!

and then it's my turn again!
But if...
The dood swings at you missing entirely.
I would imagine and expect someone to emote being trapped in my head lock despite their attempt to struggle.
And then again it's my turn... muahahaha!

-in a free for all there's usually less etiquette.
*just imagined final fantasy 7 battle intro at the beginning of a bar fight - then turn based bar fighting.
Live like God.
Love like God.

You should be able to actually knock someone out instead of getting a message about hurting them more will cause a death or whatever it says.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

And then all 6 of the stealth elves watching strip the knocked out man naked in a minute without anyone being able to see. No Thanks bro: keep brawling a cool IC gimmick of the seedier taverns and not a killing tool.
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

Quote from: Asanadas on February 07, 2016, 12:04:53 PM
And then all 6 of the stealth elves

Ahahahahahahh. Six.  Elves....  Ahahahahhah

EtA:  But seriously,  once you're unconscious subdue doesn't invoke crimcode... so abuse could be bad.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Just because you've never seen them doesn't mean they're not there.

Edit: and yeah I'm speaking with experience in Allanak crime code... knocking out dudes with brawl would be a bad thing.

Quote from: Asanadas on February 07, 2016, 12:45:48 PM
Just because you've never seen them doesn't mean they're not there.

One... maybe two... three if there was a convention.   :D
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Do the elf drovions account for the stealthed elves?

The six stealth what now? Desert hide doesn't work inside bars, you know.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Barzalene on February 07, 2016, 09:59:46 AM
I'd like to encourage people to be more hostile during bar fights. So they feel more like fights and less like fooseball games.

I think the lack of potential for bar brawls to escalate beyond Batman levels of *BAM!* *Ka-Pow!* *Kerrrrrr-ASH!* limits the hostility levels of most brawls.  They're more like pastimes than fights.

Quote from: Patuk on February 07, 2016, 01:01:01 PM
Then city elves fam

Quote from: whitt on February 07, 2016, 01:03:55 PM
Quote from: Barzalene on February 07, 2016, 09:59:46 AM

I think the lack of potential for bar brawls to escalate beyond Batman levels of *BAM!* *Ka-Pow!* *Kerrrrrr-ASH!* limits the hostility levels of most brawls.  They're more like pastimes than fights.

Seems like a case of code trumping role play. It's like you're watching Game of Thrones and they throw in a bar fight from Men in Tights.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Jihelu on February 07, 2016, 01:11:35 PM
Quote from: Patuk on February 07, 2016, 01:01:01 PM
Then city elves fam

Then what elves..?
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: whitt on February 07, 2016, 12:44:34 PM
Quote from: Asanadas on February 07, 2016, 12:04:53 PM
And then all 6 of the stealth elves

Ahahahahahahh. Six.  Elves....  Ahahahahhah

EtA:  But seriously,  once you're unconscious subdue doesn't invoke crimcode... so abuse could be bad.

True? Or just when the victim has no save on?

If you talked shit and got KTFO shouldn't you probably be robbed of most of your shit? Seems fitting.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Quote from: fourTwenty on February 07, 2016, 02:44:43 PM
If you talked shit and got KTFO shouldn't you probably be robbed of most of your shit? Seems fitting.

Yup.

This is a game that about three rooms from the city you can murder someone for absolutely no reason.

But we are now suddenly worried that you might get knocked out in a bar fight?
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

As a random observation and injection of my experience:  I've seen and been in dozens of bar fights, both on the winning and losing end.  Some were sillier, because they were between mostly amicable parties, some were downright a step away from lethal violence, with noses, fingers and feet broken.  Almost all of them had emotes.  So there are some wonderous bar fighters out there.

Quote from: Asmoth on February 07, 2016, 04:16:22 PM

Yup.

This is a game that about three rooms from the city you can murder someone for absolutely no reason.

But we are now suddenly worried that you might get knocked out in a bar fight?
Ok buddy better just       wait until you walk in, and get me and my buddies to brawl you 10 times really quick to knock you out (no crim flag) then subdue you (no crim flag) and drag you into an alley where I can kill you (no crim flag). Murder corruption betrayal, right?! That's the height of game design you're talking about here. The pinnacle.  :-*

Like all good RP?  Probably not unless you have zero friends (PC or vNPC) there picking you up after you knocked out.  I doubt all the other Bynners in the bar, for instance, are going to sit idly by while Runner Amos is picked clean.  Or that most anyone else is going be left like an unwanted corpse on the pile either.  A few things grabbed off?  Maybe to Sure if it's a breed for example.  But in general?  It seems like pretty standard behavior in the Gaj to just ignore someone passed out on the floor.