Idea: Stealth Skill Partial Failures

Started by Synthesis, February 06, 2016, 01:20:35 PM

Eliminate the binary pass/fail for stealth skills and add a partial failure, where your character realizes they're about to fuck up, or that they wouldn't possibly be able to do that, and they just stop the attempt before failing gloriously in front of all watchers.

Add an observant-third-party generic echo like "you notice the tall, muscular man acting suspicious" (or whatever) so it's not a get-out-of-jail free card.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

This is such a good idea I squeaked in excitement.

I dig this!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Seems reasonable. Would you still be subject to the after delay? I feel like you should, just to further reduce people spamming til success

I've always hated either pass or fail echoes - No inbetween.

I heartedly endorse this
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

As far as I know though there is an echo where someone can tell they were stolen from.
But it doesn't give a sdesc.
Isn't that a partial fail?
Then again that isn't really a stealth skill cause you can steal without being sneaky but idk

Quote from: Synthesis on February 06, 2016, 01:20:35 PM
Eliminate the binary pass/fail for stealth skills and add a partial failure, where your character realizes they're about to fuck up, or that they wouldn't possibly be able to do that, and they just stop the attempt before failing gloriously in front of all watchers.

Add an observant-third-party generic echo like "you notice the tall, muscular man acting suspicious" (or whatever) so it's not a get-out-of-jail free card.

Yes. Good.

Quote from: Jihelu on February 07, 2016, 08:25:15 PM
As far as I know though there is an echo where someone can tell they were stolen from.
Then again that isn't really a stealth skill cause you can steal without being sneaky but idk

Steal and peek already have partial failures.

There should be a partial failure for sneak, hide, and sleight of hand.

As sneaky guilds are my favorite, I support this idea ++++++++++++1

Quote from: Synthesis on February 08, 2016, 02:17:48 AM

There's partial failure for sleight of hand that can be noticed by a third party, just not sneak and hide.
I ruin immershunz.

Quote from: Kankfly on February 10, 2016, 08:12:00 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on February 08, 2016, 02:17:48 AM

There's partial failure for sleight of hand that can be noticed by a third party, just not sneak and hide.

Are you sure?  The only echo I've ever seen is "you notice he was trying to be stealthy about it," which is the result of a full failure...unless you're watching the person, but I'm not talking about fails vs. watch, I'm talking about fails vs. casual observers.