Dark Sun Book Recommendations

Started by Miradus, February 05, 2016, 10:13:12 AM

I'm just now learning about the Dark Sun campaign setting. Previously I've always played in Forgotten Realms or games set in Tolkien's universe.

Any fiction books you can recommend? I started reading Verdant Passage last night.

The Prism Pentad and the Tribe of One series are the most popular. I think the only Dark Sun book I was able to find/read back in the day was The Brazen Gambit, which was so so.

I remember when Delerak was working on his Dark Sun MUD he wanted to make it mandatory for staff to read "The Rise and Fall of the Dragon King."  So, obviously he felt that one was good.

Oh, also, Dark Sun thread...
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Is the mention of Dark Sun drama-inducing? :)

Quote from: Miradus on February 05, 2016, 10:46:03 AM
Is the mention of Dark Sun drama-inducing? :)

It's rated #4 on the GDB drama-inducing scale, between cat people at #3 and virtual elf population at #5.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on February 05, 2016, 10:38:00 AM
The Prism Pentad and the Tribe of One series are the most popular. I think the only Dark Sun book I was able to find/read back in the day was The Brazen Gambit, which was so so.

I remember when Delerak was working on his Dark Sun MUD he wanted to make it mandatory for staff to read "The Rise and Fall of the Dragon King."  So, obviously he felt that one was good.

Oh, also, Dark Sun thread...

Tribe of One was a great series.  Seconding this.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll fire up the ol' Kindle and grab me some samples.

Quote from: Miradus on February 05, 2016, 10:13:12 AM
I'm just now learning about the Dark Sun campaign setting. Previously I've always played in Forgotten Realms or games set in Tolkien's universe.

Any fiction books you can recommend? I started reading Verdant Passage last night.

On a more serious note, and maybe not totally related to your question, but one of our old Staff member, Sanvean, is now an author and some say that she is inspired by her time on Armageddon in many of her stories, you might want to check her out!

Her name is Cat Rambo.

I came across a short story of hers by surprise a few months ago when I was reading that book of short stories - Blackguards, Tales of Assassins, Mercenaries and Rogues

I'm pretty sure Sanvean gave me my first karma.

I also suggest you follow CatRambo on Twitter. If your the type that tweets.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

I think I read that book! Wasn't it edited by George R. R. Martin? If not, he's got a similar anthology.

You'd be surprised how many authors play this game, I suppose.  ;)

Cat Rambo's 'Aquila's Ring' is pretty interesting - and it's entirely based on an event that happened in Armageddon back in the early 2000's.

I wasn't a big fan of Verdant Passage.  I was all set to read the whole series, I got through that first book and I just felt kinda meh.  It reads hackneyed to me.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: James de Monet on February 05, 2016, 04:38:16 PM
I wasn't a big fan of Verdant Passage.  I was all set to read the whole series, I got through that first book and I just felt kinda meh.  It reads hackneyed to me.

I kind of enjoy it for it's cheesy quality.  Though Dark Sun psionics > Armageddon psionics. 

I found most of the Dark Sun books to be readable but not especially good. Which is funny considering I prefer low magic, gritty Fiction.

Quote from: Tuannon on February 05, 2016, 09:18:43 PM
I found most of the Dark Sun books to be readable but not especially good. Which is funny considering I prefer low magic, gritty Fiction.

That seems to be the standard. The FR books by Salvatore are the same way. They're not great literature, but they're entertaining.

My wife calls them "brain popcorn".

I read the first ~20-30 pages of the first book before my interest drifted. Stock pulp fantasy, which can be fun if you're in the mood, but nothing spectacular.

I am in the "grimdark" mood though. Anyone got recomendations for some gritty fantasy one could use for Arm inspiration? I just started reading the Black Company the other day, and not sure how I feel yet.

Another one I read was The Steel Remains. Didn't think it was great, but the weathered merc vibe from Ringil, and some of the descriptions of violence has had a lasting effect on the way I play ass hole mercs.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Best book ever. Best character ever.

Quote from: Malken on February 05, 2016, 10:49:49 PM
Best book ever. Best character ever.

I live about 20 miles outside of where he wrote the Conan stories. My next door neighbor sold Howard's grandfather the car that he shot himself in.

Every year, Cross Plains celebrates "Conan Days" with a barbecue and a monster truck show. It's a weird place.