Failing Flee to the 'Up'

Started by Synthesis, February 04, 2016, 10:56:37 AM

I cannot believe this hasn't been fixed yet.

Also.  Listen.

Forcing people to fail a flee to the up...okay...maybe.  But then forcing them to fall back down AFTER THEY PASS THE CLIMB CHECK because they were wielding weapons when they climbed up due to the flee fail?  That's preeeetty ridiculous.

I mean, I'm good enough to climb up there with my swords out, then suddenly I just let go and fall?  C'mon now, folks.  C'MON.

This seriously needs to be fixed, especially with the metric shitload of 'up' rooms that now exist in Allanak.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

You fail flee when it's in a climb direction, period.

While this has led to some really funny scenarios watching an NPC flee off a cliff, succeed its climb check, and then fall to its doom anyway... it's ridiculous and a deadly bug.

Please do fix.

Well...I can kind of grok fleeing toward a cliff edge.

But madly scrambling up a wall, then backflipping off the wall with your ninja-swords out, after successfully climbing up...yo, that's straight ludicrous.

I recently fled off a cliff being pursued by a cilops. I didn't fail the climb check (even though I had low agility and no climb skill) but the cilops did and plummeted to its assumed doom.

My first thought was, "viable hunting tactic to lure big creatures off of high cliffs" but then I thought of the myriad of ways in which that could (and would) backfire on me. Particularly failing the climb check and ending up badly wounded and unconscious at the bottom of the cliff with an angry creature 3 rooms up and rapidly approaching.

Can you solve this by manually doing

flee west

instead of a general flee?

The problem is a general flee will pick a random direction for you, which can include up? Maybe they can make general flee not make 'up' an option unless it's

a) The only exit

or

b) You manually typed 'flee up'
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

Quote from: JackGibbons on February 04, 2016, 02:25:21 PM
Can you solve this by manually doing

flee west

instead of a general flee?

The problem is a general flee will pick a random direction for you, which can include up? Maybe they can make general flee not make 'up' an option unless it's

a) The only exit

or

b) You manually typed 'flee up'

If you suck at fleeing, even if you give it a direction, it will send you in a random direction.  Which is exactly what happened.  I tried to flee west, and went up instead.  There were 4 available exits (including up).

Gotcha. Perhaps they could make 'up' ineligible as the random direction, then, unless it's the only exit.
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

Does fleeing send you 'up' even if 'up' is a hidden/secret exit?
QuoteYou hear a man's voice from the north say, in sirihish:
     "Fuck that, not the day to be in the Gaj."

I'm pretty sure that the climb 'exits' objects are like the climb 'room' definitions. So this would mean taking the flee code and invalidating any exits that were climb exits. Easy in theory.
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

I like this code, makes it very easy to kill someone who is in a pit with you, or to toss someone in a pit with a carru to their death.

I've seen mobs that flee-on-entrance try to flee to the up, and it just says they "try to flee but are too exhausted" which isn't a correct error message.

I wonder if that echoes to the room for any attempt to flee up. What a red herring in PvP when you DO flee to the up, bandage all your wounds and submit a dujat worm to throw it in the hole.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Yeah it's really dumb. Especially into climb exits

February 04, 2016, 07:42:45 PM #12 Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:45:50 PM by wizturbo
Had this happen to me the last time I used 'flee' in the city.  It created a hilarious situation by sheer luck, but could've been extremely deadly.  

The one problem with eliminating the 'up' flee is that if you're in a room with up as the only exit you'd be unable to flee at all.

Quote from: wizturbo on February 04, 2016, 07:42:45 PM
Had this happen to me the last time I used 'flee' in the city.  It created a hilarious situation by sheer luck, but could've been extremely deadly.  

The one problem with eliminating the 'up' flee is that if you're in a room with up as the only exit you'd be unable to flee at all.

tough

or make it only work in that case

Mentioned this back in November.  No one seemed to believed me.   :-\

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,50056.msg914478.html#msg914478
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

February 04, 2016, 10:17:22 PM #15 Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:57:45 AM by Delirium
<edited by Delirium>

On topic. Just removing up from the viable flee directions when you flee <direction> would be legit enough for me. Leave it as an option when you general flee, but when you flee in a direction without the intention of climbing a wall you shouldn't in fact climb the wall by accident.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I took out some needless provocation. Please keep this discussion polite. Thank you!