What is/was Arm 2.0?

Started by roobee, January 30, 2016, 10:17:21 PM

I've heard about it in various threads. What was is and why didn't it happen?

Quote from: roobee on January 30, 2016, 10:17:21 PM
I've heard about it in various threads. What was is and why didn't it happen?

It was in the works for awhile but it was effectively going to be starting the game over, in a sense. New places, new races, etc. Unfortunately, due to multiple things - Such as the loss of key developers, time constraints, and other things, Staff deemed it would be more beneficial to instead invest energy into the current state of Armageddon and continue to bring life to the game we already have, as well as taking larger roles in it's development (ie, more world changing events, etc.).

It was fun, though, just brainstorming new ideas for ARM 2.0 that it, in a sense, brought on a life of it's own - Despite having never been released. There were also a lot of good ideas and code suggestions brought up for ARM 2.0 that were, instead, implemented in ARM 1.0.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

I still miss some of the ideas that were generated for Armageddon Reborn that weren't implemented in Arm 1.0.  Namely the smaller towns and wider-spread of literacy.

Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I still hope that at somepoint, a race of cat-people will emerge from the grey forest after wiping out the kryl, just so I can get my furry on.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Oh look, a 2.0 thread that made it a legendary four (4) fucking posts before a snarky comment about the cat people.

Must be a new fucking record.

There were a myriad of reasons 2.0 didn't work out.  I still hope to see a lot of the concepts from 2.0 migrate over to the current game.  Some have filtered in, and the inclusion of others could greatly improve the game experience.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

How was my post snarky?

???
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

So lets get back on topic: Arm 2.0 would have been cool, but I personally prefer what we have now.

Someone  ;) once told me Arm 2.0 was about 70% done (core-wise).

Why doesn't the team throw it up on git and open-source it? Lots of people in the community would help finish the project.
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

Quote from: Asanadas on January 31, 2016, 10:58:08 AM
Why doesn't the team throw it up on git and open-source it?

Hundreds of MUD engines already up on github.  Arm has some pretty slick code imo, but what really defines a game like this is

the community

for all its faults.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

If I understand it correctly 2.0 was supposed to be running either an entirely new codebase or updated/revamped version.  The setting changes from what we know now (Allanak, Luir's, Tuluk paradigm) to other cities and power structures.  Races also would have changed or been more fleshed out.  Also I believe there was either no magick or a different magick system? Anyone remember for sure?
You notice: A war beetle squeezes out an Orin-sized ball of dung.

I believe it was going to be a similarly functioning magick system (in that it would be elementally based) but the mechanics were going to change.

Quote from: CodeMaster on January 31, 2016, 11:35:12 AM
Why doesn't the team throw it up on git and open-source it?

Hundreds of MUD engines already up on github.  Arm has some pretty slick code imo, but what really defines a game like this is

the community

for all its faults.
No I mean from what I heard, the lead prog on Arm2.0 dropped dead off the project with it more than half complete. I'm not saying put Armcode up in open-source because that's never going to happen.

What I'm saying is, put the dead project up and let's get as many hands doing the work to complete it, so that we can move ahead to something better than what we've got now. We'll need it when Rathustra loads up the Gith Dragon and ends the world about 2 years from now.
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

Quote from: Kol on January 31, 2016, 07:57:24 AM
How was my post snarky?

???

It wasn't.

:-*
I think the best way to develop a game world is by letting the players influence it as much as possible
-Delerak

Quote from: Maziel on January 31, 2016, 01:57:46 PM
Quote from: Kol on January 31, 2016, 07:57:24 AM
How was my post snarky?

???

It wasn't.

:-*

You are right.  Every time someone mentions "furry" my vision goes red.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

It's the new pay for perks Android/iPhone version of Arm

Featuring:
2 races: human and city elf
2 guilds: warrior and pickpocket
2 subguilds: nomad and tinker (exclusive 2.0 content)

February 01, 2016, 11:29:22 AM #16 Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:31:04 AM by Delirium
re: cat people,

To be completely fair, I have seen cat races done really well in other fantasy genres, and it would have been documented well here too.

It's a combo of internet culture and playerbase immaturity that ruined the possibility of it. The risk of too many wannabe yiffs and not enough savage badasses.

Don't hate the idea, hate the fact that it would have just been more trouble than it was worth due to playerbase reaction.

on topic;

Armageddon 2.0 was a victim of too many cooks. Too many ideas, not enough of a guiding vision. A lack of structure and cohesion in planning and organizing.

But I vastly prefer the rich history of the gameworld we have now, flawed as it may occasionally be. I'm glad we passed on 2.0.

This thread:

"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

February 01, 2016, 01:43:20 PM #18 Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 01:47:05 PM by Molten Heart
The idea was the engine the game runs on is old and puts limits on what it can do and how they are done. By coding a new engine and creating a new game, there would be several new features and there'd be the ability to more easily make new unanticipated changes and features (easier than currently.)

ICly the game world was going to be "destroyed" not unlike how the history describes the world being destroyed by the dragon eons ago. Flash forward many years into the future and the game world is reshaped and it's all new again with everything about the old game being ancient history, the things of legends.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

With the way the game's code has been steadily improved and expanded on lately, I am optimistic that the promise of Arm 2.0 will not be missed in the long run.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

February 02, 2016, 02:09:07 PM #20 Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 02:11:02 PM by IAmJacksOpinion
Quote from: Delirium on February 01, 2016, 11:29:22 AM=
Armageddon 2.0 was a victim of too many cooks. Too many ideas, not enough of a guiding vision. A lack of structure and cohesion in planning and organizing.

But I vastly prefer the rich history of the gameworld we have now, flawed as it may occasionally be. I'm glad we passed on 2.0.

That's how I feel about it too. Arm 1 has a sold, well-realized theme. Arm 2 never felt like it did to me. I wasn't even planning on giving it a try after Arm ended. Would've just hung up my mudding hat.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org