Combat messages

Started by Asmoth, January 25, 2016, 12:31:10 PM

Sorta wish combat messages were more fleshed out and stylish.

Bludgeoning slashing and etc does the job.  But I wish the messages were just more personalized to weapons and etc.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

No way. I like it simple. Makes it easier to decipher when things get fast-paced.

I'm with Delirium on this. 

I do wish you could tack on an emote to 'kill', although this works well enough:

kill elf; em flips up ~dagger, flips the bird to ~elf, and, catching ~dagger, changes forward!

I also wish NPCs would emote before they initiate combat.  Nothing big, just (perhaps with a microsecond of delay before they initiate combat):

The melon-breasted lanky gith notices you and charges at you, leering!

(This would be useful for cases where you might be hiding and watching an NPC.)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I just mean as it sits now you don't know which weapon hits if they are the same, it's just slashing slashing etc.

I'm not talking about reinventing the wheel, just making it a bit more flashy.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

I think I get what Asmoth is saying. It'd be useful for tracking who is attacking who, if everyone has their hoods up but also have readily identifiable weapons.

QuoteThe hooded figure slashes you in the body with the dick-engraved broadsword.

You think,
   "Oh no! The dick blade bandit!"

I'd like it to be flippable on and off. "Combat Verbose" or something. Having it off shows what you see now - just damage type being dealt. Combat Verbose would also show the sdesc of the weapon.

You could also run it with or without brief combat.

Hopefully this would let people tailor the amount of information their receiving to a level where it's still coherent. I know if EVERY combat message included the weapon sdesc things would get even more spammy than they already are.

I Would add prettier combat echos.

Like really jazzed up stuff.  Then reduced the number of rounds and up the damage.

High agility creatures/pc's would have combat echo's that would indicate that per round that actually attacked multiple times, making the combat checks multiple times and then marrying them into one echo with cumulative damage for every successful strike.

Not that I expect in a million years some one to dig in the under belly of diku and try and change that.  I wouldn't do it, wouldn't expect anyone else to suffer on my account.

Be cool though.