Code Suggestion: Packing Mounts from the ground.

Started by Asmoth, January 18, 2016, 04:14:29 AM

I think there should be a way to pack a mount from the ground.  Seeing as how their strength is much greater than most of ours.

You can make the mount lay down, why not have it so it can kneel and you slide that heavy shit onto it's back?

Just an idea.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

I'm confused.

You already do not have to be mounted to pack something on your mount.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: whitt on January 18, 2016, 05:17:57 AM
I'm confused.

You already do not have to be mounted to pack something on your mount.
I mean if I can't physically pick it up, say I'm carrying too much, or it's just too heavy of a critter.

I should be able to still pack it from the ground to the mount.

Unless it's already possible and I'm just retarded, which may be the case.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?

You can not. It almost makes sense, because if you can't lift it it would be impossible for you to strap it on yourself. Dragging something behind the mount though, or having someone help you load it on should absolutely be a possibility. So in the end it doesn't make much sense.

Also tying a person who is alive to a mount should also be possible.

January 18, 2016, 05:45:00 AM #4 Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:55:02 AM by Nergal
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 18, 2016, 05:25:10 AM
You can not. It almost makes sense, because if you can't lift it it would be impossible for you to strap it on yourself. Dragging something behind the mount though, or having someone help you load it on should absolutely be a possibility. So in the end it doesn't make much sense.

I am not describing this right so I'll use a practical example.

When I was in the Middle East, we were told to return the bodies with the local militia, but because I can't lift a fat, dead terrorist. I lead the camel over, got it to kneel, then heaved two corpses over the back of the camel, which was doable because I was only lifting a torso.  Then I went around and pulled from the other side to slide him onto the back.  Tied the corpses down and stood up the camel.

So I'm talking about that half lifting, half pulling over a corpse onto a mount. Do you get what I mean now?

January 18, 2016, 10:22:42 AM #5 Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 08:55:09 AM by Nergal
Quote from: Asmoth on January 18, 2016, 05:45:00 AM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 18, 2016, 05:25:10 AM

I am not describing this right so I'll use a practical example.

When I was in the Middle East, we were told to return the bodies with the local militia, but because I can't lift a fat, dead terrorist. I lead the camel over, got it to kneel, then heaved two corpses over the back of the camel, which was doable because I was only lifting a torso.  Then I went around and pulled from the other side to slide him onto the back.  Tied the corpses down and stood up the camel.

So I'm talking about that half lifting, half pulling over a corpse onto a mount. Do you get what I mean now?

I've never had to lift a corpse, thankfully... I'm guessing the fireman's carry technique doesn't work once they get stiff?

Anyway, THIS idea I like infinitely more than the rot everything one. Maybe it could involve a ride-skill check, so that you actually have  to have a certain degree of animal familiarity to get that inix to back under a four post king-sized bed (and further, know where to lash it without causing much discomfort for the animal)?
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

It always made me sad that I had to strip NPC Private Mcbigguy naked (and then take off some of my own clothes) to get the weight low enough to lift him onto the beetle, even with the help of half of my clan.

This is a problem with half-lift code, heh. An item can't be in two places; either it's in your mob's inventory, or it's in the room (and "affected" by your mob + whoever else lifting it).

If there was a delay put on packing things from the room, I think that would work. Then we'd have skinny elves packing dead beetles onto inixes, and that is just entirely a positive.
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

I like this one too.  You should also be able to strap on living unconscious bodies, it would be the same as a dead body.  But if they wanted to escape when they came to, I guess you'd have to let them do it, or give them a base chance anyway.

Strapping "living" bodies probably won't ever work, on account of living bodies being mobs and dead bodies being objects.

What you can do is subdue someone and then mount a beetle and ride. Terribly dangerous for the both of you if anyone attacks, but it might be something near balanced because of that.

Quote from: Asanadas on January 18, 2016, 11:17:09 AM
Strapping "living" bodies probably won't ever work, on account of living bodies being mobs and dead bodies being objects.

What you can do is subdue someone and then mount a beetle and ride. Terribly dangerous for the both of you if anyone attacks, but it might be something near balanced because of that.

Once found a dwarf passed out on the sands while I was playing a HG, tried to wake him, he wouldn't wake, weather was piss balls, so I snagged him up and carried him inside. He was furious when he came to for some reason.

Maybe his focus was to sleep in a sandstorm. heh

But still, you subdued him and brought him in instead of picking him up, right? That's fine.

Quote from: Asanadas on January 18, 2016, 11:24:19 AM
Maybe his focus was to sleep in a sandstorm. heh

But still, you subdued him and brought him in instead of picking him up, right? That's fine.

I should have subdued his ungrateful ass and typed:
shout (enthusiasticly) Fly, little birdy! Flap those fat little wings!
throw dwarf to up