Wouldn't it be awesome if this rotted on me... (decay idea thread)

Started by nauta, January 17, 2016, 01:08:00 PM

Quote from: nauta on February 10, 2016, 09:54:19 PM
I haven't played in the south for a while now, but I always wanted to roll up a chalton cowgirl.  She'd put bolts into chalton bandits, and go around branding the chalton as part of her herd.

Chaltongirl? Hrmmm. The Erdlu whisperer?

How about a character who goes around helping nobles or sergeants "break" their wily mount in, so they don't buck them. Gives riding lessons, and offers to tame far-flung creatures. Malick the mount man.

Quote from: JackGibbons on February 11, 2016, 05:32:29 PM
Quote from: John on February 11, 2016, 05:28:46 PM
Quote from: JackGibbons on February 11, 2016, 05:24:21 PMBut since there is no demand for those goods in the walls codedly, you leave them behind.
My beef isn't with people who go out hunting for specific things, kill those creatures and then take the things they were after. It's those other times when you see what' left and know they didn't take anything at all that I find jarring.

Okay, I can definitely agree with that one. It usually seems to me that something is missing, though, but you can never quite tell if it's just because they didn't get a perfect success on their skin. I guess people could be grinding combat and skinning without collecting anything. That would be pretty crappy of them.

Nobody except clueless noobs are "grinding combat" on chalton, as I've said.  It's not even possible.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I don't know how tough chalton are in comparison. I haven't spent much time in the south. I guess it would be like trying to skill up on shik and skeet.

On a ranger at about 2 days played, gortoks mostly ceased to be a challenge and assumably since I'm not missing them much, I'm not learning from the fight.

I do run into the occasional uber-gortok (alpha gortok?) that will take me well below my regeneration point, but it's pretty rare and unpredictable.

The skill progression, while still insanely incomprehensible to me, seems to occur pretty fast. There seems to be creatures that you're never going to be able to handle solo in melee and then everything else. And you reach that ability to handle everything else within a relatively short period of time.

"Never" is such a strong word...

I mean, yes, there are some creatures that are simply not meant to be fought solo. But you might be pleasantly surprised how good you can get.

Yeah, if you just started playing, there's literally no way you've reached the pinnacle of what's possible.

Basically, what you can solo in melee is based on how much damage it can do in single shots, because no matter how awesome your warrior is, his defense is not impenetrable.  If you're fighting things that can nail you for 60+hp on a lucky shot to the head or neck...eventually one of those things is going to get lucky back-to-back head and neck shots that will kill you, no matter how awesome you are.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.