Wouldn't it be awesome if this rotted on me... (decay idea thread)

Started by nauta, January 17, 2016, 01:08:00 PM

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 10, 2016, 09:43:02 PM
Well, there could be a few different motivations, but none of them are very probable.

What if they're collecting blood for a defilers shrine?

Or skulls for the skull throne!
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I haven't played in the south for a while now, but I always wanted to roll up a chalton cowgirl.  She'd put bolts into chalton bandits, and go around branding the chalton as part of her herd.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: John on February 10, 2016, 09:31:32 PM
Quote from: Miradus on February 10, 2016, 03:47:15 PMFrankly though, the piles of dismembered chalton and gortok in the world don't bother me. It's not immersion breaking. The wilderness is full of carrion. If it bothers you that a player left it, then roleplay that some predator scattered refuse around after a kill and all those parts have been gnawed.
What is the IC motivation for going into the desert, killing a mess of Chatlon (skinning them?) and then taking nothing? Not even the hunks of meat.

https://youtu.be/wFgAE5SgFnw
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Miradus on February 10, 2016, 03:47:15 PMFrankly though, the piles of dismembered chalton and gortok in the world don't bother me. It's not immersion breaking. The wilderness is full of carrion. If it bothers you that a player left it, then roleplay that some predator scattered refuse around after a kill and all those parts have been gnawed.
What is the IC motivation for going into the desert, killing a mess of Chatlon (skinning them?) and then taking nothing? Not even the hunks of meat.

That is a hard question to answer, but that's not usually what I see happening. Usually they are collecting just one of the materials that they can actually use up [craft, sell, eat, etc]. The hide. The bones [just the long ones, maybe], etc. At least it's been my experience that the parts of value are stripped, where value is relative to what crafts one needs parts for. I don't think I've ever see a fully cut animal with all its original parts lying out butchered but uncollected.
> who
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 0 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

"Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison

There should be people in the city willing to buy those parts from you but there generally aren't. That's why people leave them out there.

There isn't, that's just twinkdom.

Only thing I could see doing that on, and even it's a stretch is scorpions.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?
<19:14:13> "Jihelu": IT's not always /with/ animals

Quote from: Asmoth on February 11, 2016, 12:44:41 AM
There isn't, that's just twinkdom.

Only thing I could see doing that on, and even it's a stretch is scorpions.

The scorpions are extremely valuable, homie.

Extremely.

[/quote]

People have shot my goats from the highway. People hunt doves by the score and don't even pick up the dead birds. People kill deer just for the trophies or "donate" the meat to the local food banks.

Killing for sport is a thing in the real world. I imagine no less so in Zalanthas.

Don't you dare mess with my level 0-12 hrs played mobs!

Quote from: Malken on February 11, 2016, 12:33:49 PM
Don't you dare mess with my level 0-12 hrs played mobs!

Chalton aren't good for anything except getting backstab to journeyman, dude.

They're not even on the skill-up critter-progression tree, because if you are SO BAD at fighting that you can generate failures on chalton, then the second a scrab runs across you, you are fucking dead.

Zalanthas is a world of scarce resources where food and water are infinitely valuable to 98% of the population. Even the page on how to rp an indie hunter reflects that somewhat. I'm not sure anyone would do the hunting for sport thing except nobles possibly.

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on February 11, 2016, 03:36:05 PM
Zalanthas is a world of scarce resources where food and water are infinitely valuable to 98% of the population. Even the page on how to rp an indie hunter reflects that somewhat. I'm not sure anyone would do the hunting for sport thing except nobles possibly.
Very much so this, even then, hunting for sport would, realistically, get you the ire of other hunters who hunt to feed their families, those extra 3 chalton you kill might have been the dinner for another couple families.

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on February 11, 2016, 03:36:05 PM

Documentation = de jure

Piles of free food and goods left rotting in the sun = de facto

That "scarce resource" valuable thing just doesn't really seem to hold sway outside the walls. Within the walls you could probably sell templar urine to someone thirsty enough, but outside the walls there's water, food, and extremely valuable things just laying on the ground.

So where's the "lawful good" character who goes out and gathers up fresh chalton meat and brings into the hungry orphans in the rinth (the ones Asmoth hasn't backstabbed yet)?

Where's the capitalist who brings in the meat and sells fresh cooked steaks to the patrons in the Gaj? Oh wait. Most everyone would rather eat their cheap food and save their sid than pay a little more to another player to support that roleplay. Or they'd rather go back to their clan compound and snag that free food.

If it's so valuable and scarce, then why has nobody made it part of their roleplay to go around and collect it? Probably because you can't sell it to the NPC merchants because they're all either broke or have too many from the 500 other hunters who beat you there.

I have always roleplayed that the scarcity exists where the corrupt and evil regime wants to use that scarcity to oppress their subjects. Or when I'm playing a tribal, that the scarcity is the fault of stupid wall dwellers and knee benders who don't know enough to dig up a root sac when they're thirsty or how to cook a fresh steak.

The de-facto game world often does not match up to the de-jure documented setting. Zalanthas is supposed to be a huge, blazing desertscape rife with dangerous wild life and where water is worth more than its weight in sids. In the actual game, we can ride from one side to the other in less than a day, accosted by nothing worse than a badger and not even needing a drink of water.

Documentation like the "Hunter's Roleplay" and "Thief's Bible" page exist to remind players that the game world is often less than what we wish it was as a setting. That sometimes we need to play to less than what we are code-capable of doing in order to maintain a more authentic and immersive setting.

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Hunter%20Roleplay

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Thief's%20Bible

For the record, I don't think I've played more than five rinthers, and I don't think any of them have survived past the npc muggings for wearing something that doesn't smell like urine.
<19:14:06> "Bushranger": Why is it always about sex with animals with you Jihelu?

So the problem with the chalton thing is that people aren't following the documentation? (Cue Claude Rains from Casablanca)

Easy fix. Lord Emperor MagicPants the High declares that henceforth all chalton belong to him and hires 10 new game wardens to patrol the wilderness and check chalton hunting permits.

Best plot EVAH!

Quote from: Miradus on February 11, 2016, 05:13:28 PM
So the problem with the chalton thing is that people aren't following the documentation? (Cue Claude Rains from Casablanca)

Easy fix. Lord Emperor MagicPants the High declares that henceforth all chalton belong to him and hires 10 new game wardens to patrol the wilderness and check chalton hunting permits.

Best plot EVAH!
They did something like this in Tuluk, WAYYYYY back in the day with the Sun Legion.

I actually had to get a trade license, they inspected my bags when they saw me.  And all that shit.  It was like real life and it was awesome.  Except since this is Arm, after I paid them off a few hundred coins over a few weeks the interaction was.

Sun legion guy rides in.
Sun legion guy is followed by four other Sun Legion guys.

Head Sun legion guy turns to the rest, "Oh that's just X, he's good, let's go."
Head Sun legion guy nods at X and rides away.

Quote from: Miradus on February 11, 2016, 04:59:38 PMPiles of free food and goods left rotting in the sun = de facto
Only if we, as a community, see it as acceptable and encourage others to create these conditions.

Quote from: Miradus on February 11, 2016, 04:59:38 PMoutside the walls there's water, food, and extremely valuable things just laying on the ground.
If you're "in the know" and know where the food and water spawn points are, you can totally survive in the desert with little to no chance of starving and dehydrating. If your characters don't automatically know where these are or don't happen to "accidentally" stumble across them every single time you roll up a new one, they're much rarer (unless you're a ranger).

Quote from: Miradus on February 11, 2016, 04:59:38 PMSo where's the "lawful good" character who goes out and gathers up fresh chalton meat and brings into the hungry orphans in the rinth (the ones Asmoth hasn't backstabbed yet)?
Hopefully dead at the hands of a 'rinthi child gang.

Quote from: Miradus on February 11, 2016, 04:59:38 PMWhere's the capitalist who brings in the meat and sells fresh cooked steaks to the patrons in the Gaj? Oh wait. Most everyone would rather eat their cheap food and save their sid than pay a little more to another player to support that roleplay. Or they'd rather go back to their clan compound and snag that free food.
Here's hoping rotting food code helps fix this. After all, only chumps want to play in clans because being an indie is where the action is.

Quote from: Miradus on February 11, 2016, 04:59:38 PMIf it's so valuable and scarce, then why has nobody made it part of their roleplay to go around and collect it?
Have done that, will do that again. If I know (or think) I won't be able to sell it and I have no use for it, I put it in a "safe place" and note where I've put it so I can go back and get it once I can sell it. No need to weigh down my encumbrance. Some of the shit I've hidden away for later retrieval is quite possibly still there and just waiting for someone to come along and find it (they'll be quite happy about some of the things they find, and then seriously question what I was doing with the other stuff I hid). Although again I find it silly to create a character with the explicit purpose of going out and getting all the free food and skins people have left behind for my newbie ass to grind on.

Quote from: Asmoth on February 11, 2016, 05:16:47 PMThey did something like this in Tuluk, WAYYYYY back in the day with the Sun Legion.

I actually had to get a trade license, they inspected my bags when they saw me.  And all that shit.  It was like real life and it was awesome.  Except since this is Arm, after I paid them off a few hundred coins over a few weeks the interaction was.

Sun legion guy rides in.
Sun legion guy is followed by four other Sun Legion guys.

Head Sun legion guy turns to the rest, "Oh that's just X, he's good, let's go."
Head Sun legion guy nods at X and rides away.
That is pretty awesome.

Quote from: Miradus on February 11, 2016, 05:13:28 PM

Best plot EVAH!

No, it's more like the limitations of NPC shops doesn't follow the documentation. If food were that scarce, you'd be able to sell every flank you can find to someone. But since there is no demand for those goods in the walls codedly, you leave them behind. I'm not saying this needs to change, since otherwise we'd just have even more hunting sid grinding, but you can't blame people for not carrying stuff that they can't get rid of. Sure you could lug it to the stables, then junk flank (selling it to a passerby for a handjob [or any other explanation that doesn't result in sids in your palm]), but is that really the requirement?
> who
Immortals
---------

Quote from: JackGibbons on February 11, 2016, 05:24:21 PMBut since there is no demand for those goods in the walls codedly, you leave them behind.
My beef isn't with people who go out hunting for specific things, kill those creatures and then take the things they were after. It's those other times when you see what' left and know they didn't take anything at all that I find jarring.

Quote from: John on February 11, 2016, 05:28:46 PM
Quote from: JackGibbons on February 11, 2016, 05:24:21 PMBut since there is no demand for those goods in the walls codedly, you leave them behind.
My beef isn't with people who go out hunting for specific things, kill those creatures and then take the things they were after. It's those other times when you see what' left and know they didn't take anything at all that I find jarring.

Okay, I can definitely agree with that one. It usually seems to me that something is missing, though, but you can never quite tell if it's just because they didn't get a perfect success on their skin. I guess people could be grinding combat and skinning without collecting anything. That would be pretty crappy of them.
> who
Immortals
---------

Quote from: JackGibbons on February 11, 2016, 05:24:21 PM(selling it to a passerby for a handjob [or any other explanation that doesn't result in sids in your palm]), but is that really the requirement?

So ... this NPC handjob ... do I wish up for that or what?

Quote from: Miradus on February 11, 2016, 05:34:15 PM
Quote from: JackGibbons on February 11, 2016, 05:24:21 PM(selling it to a passerby for a handjob [or any other explanation that doesn't result in sids in your palm]), but is that really the requirement?

Please do and post the log.

Water should rot.

Quote from: Miradus on February 11, 2016, 05:34:15 PM

Elaborate junking ftw.

A semi-private but not guaranteed private room that happened to be absent of PCs but might have VNPCs:

(Your desc) steps into the chamber, tapping a couple making out on the shoulder and leaning down and speaking into the man's ear.
Handing the spice packet over to the man in his palm, you discard your pinch of black, viscous spice.
Slipping it into the hand of the embarrassed looking breedy female who ducks out with her paramour, leaving the room empty, you discard your shiny pinch of red spice.
Blinking curiously, [the PC you entered with] says, in XXXXX-accented sirihish:
    "Well, that'll get ya the room."

/derail
> who
Immortals
---------