video tutorial/commentary to attract new players

Started by najdorf, January 10, 2016, 01:35:53 AM

Quote from: Xagon on January 11, 2010, 02:19:33 PM
Quote from: Nyr
Now--if you have the software (and know-how) to capture video of your screen plus the audio of you giving pointers, I think that would work out pretty well.  If you're interested in this, you may want to join up with the publicity team and tackle it with some staff oversight.

I'm doing this.

"This" is basically the captured input of an Armageddon session on a brand new character, detailing the process one goes through when creating such a character, uncovering syntax clues, and general information about the cities.

What else should be included, or purposely left out? It is to be a tutorial video of sorts to be posted on Youtube (or another public place)

Yesterday was a boring one, I had a lot of time, and was inspired by something I read a while ago (above)
I think videos have some sort of improved impact. However, I always believed the game has a broader potential audience, but the complication and the lingo drives a lot of folk in the early stages of their acquisition (and retention of course). That's why I started by briefly explaining why would a MUD + Arm can be tested out. Picked the words in title that has the best exact match from Adwords planner (text based RPG has 3,000 searches monthly)
Not sure if there are strict rules against this, but anyways. Staff can tell me to delete if they want, I can. If you like you can support with your likes so.. Here they are:

Part 1, talking about MUDs & arm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O61tZF5mHwU
Part 2, creating a character: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMpLZzAQgtU
Part 3, logging in and experiencing the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iYEmWIITvY

I love your accent, the way you pronounce Allanak and sirihish.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I like how you say Armeggedon. XD But well done!
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Must've been hard for Najdorf to pretend he knows nothing about the game!

I'm only sad there was no way I could 'star' in the videos! =(

Its a great idea. Sometimes I wonder if the stories we post on the forums wouldn't be interesting in youtube videos with some artist sketches, and read by someone with a nice cadence and voice. Who wouldn't want to just sit back and listen to the tale of <insert story here>.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Lizzie on January 10, 2016, 11:25:25 AM
I love your accent, the way you pronounce Allanak and sirihish.

i didnt know they were pronounced differently :)

Quote from: Riev on January 10, 2016, 12:22:17 PM
Must've been hard for Najdorf to pretend he knows nothing about the game!

I'm only sad there was no way I could 'star' in the videos! =(

Its a great idea. Sometimes I wonder if the stories we post on the forums wouldn't be interesting in youtube videos with some artist sketches, and read by someone with a nice cadence and voice. Who wouldn't want to just sit back and listen to the tale of <insert story here>.

especially the moments i was looking for -emote- syntax and failing.. was hoping to see it as one of the -see also- items in "help roleplay"

Quote from: Riev on January 10, 2016, 12:22:17 PM
Allow me to suggest Benedict Cumberbatch.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: deathkamon on January 21, 2016, 11:49:43 PM
Over 2k reviews means over 2k potential players. :D

it's just a test.. just did some backlink on top keywords,
last i checked now ranks no1 on youtube for "real roleplaying rpg"
and no3-5 for "text based rpg", and some other keywords as well..

consider someone makes a proper walkthrough, blended with images (say, when in rinth show the artwork created by players such as Gin on rooftops, etc.) let the people visualize the world..
That will drive a lot of traffic if you focus on the right keywords. reason i picked "text based rpg" was because it's searched 5,000 times a month. that's the exact search figure. there can be others
If someone takes the role of making a cool video, a real explanatory video (with a proper accent) that beautifully describes a little bit about mudding / arm and the basic gameplay, it can yield good results
I ll have the backlinks & SEO handled.

najdorf, I'm guessing you mean a promo video, and not really a tutorial?  Or do you mean something that combines the two?  Anyway, FWIW, I did make this playable tutorial a while back (permanently linked in the Armageddon Player Tools sticky).  It works best on a computer, not a phone/tablet.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.