Two wearable items on back

Started by Professional, December 28, 2015, 03:47:59 AM

I believe this is where this topic goes...

Anyways, I want to propose the ability to wear two items on your back (i.e) Two swords, spears, one sword, backpack. I want this simply because carrying one weapon with the other strapped to my back is getting annoying. If there is some simple solution let me now and delete this post so I don't get laughed at too much, okay? :)

Not how the code works. There are plenty of bags that can be worn over shoulders and on belts, however. That SOI code can't be changed, the only thing that you could change would be to add yet another wear slot.

In a way you can. You can sheath a weapon to your back, and wear a backpack at the same time.

If you're looking for more weapon locations, I suggest finding a salarri merchant and buying a sword-sheath.

If you want to wear a shield and a pack, however, that can't be done.

Currently you can sheath a weapon on your back and wear something on your back at the same time.

With a simple belt you can sheath a weapon on your back, sheath two weapons on your belt. If you wanted to get fancy you could wear boots with knife sheathes in them, wear weapons sheaths on each ankle, each wrist, on your forearms, over both shoulders and wear a knife belt. You can also, as RogueGunslinger suggests, purchase a sword sheath to wear over your back which will hold one or two swords in addition to the one you sheath directly over your back!

It's ludicrous how many easily drawn weapons you can carry in game if you go nuts :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDvMPaspKds
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

There's sheaths in the game that should work like this. Since they're containers, you can put more than one thing in them. Then you can wear it on your back. (And then you can strap another sword onto your back! The possibilities are mind-boggling.)

Basically you have to pay out the big coins to get such good loot as this.
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

Quote from: Inks on December 28, 2015, 03:51:34 AM
That SOI code can't be changed...
What SOI code?
Murder your darlings.

December 28, 2015, 12:10:46 PM #6 Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 12:27:46 PM by Professional
Quote from: Asanadas on December 28, 2015, 09:53:00 AM
There's sheaths in the game that should work like this. Since they're containers, you can put more than one thing in them. Then you can wear it on your back. (And then you can strap another sword onto your back! The possibilities are mind-boggling.)

Basically you have to pay out the big coins to get such good loot as this.

Oh sweet. Then I'll have to invest in buying one of these from Salarr. Do they work with all weapon types?

No idea. But the Salarri merchant should know ICly. Word of advice: try before you buy.
Be gentle. I had a Nyr brush with death that I'm still getting over.

December 28, 2015, 04:13:48 PM #9 Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 04:23:02 PM by RogueGunslinger
Most scabbards in-game only work with swords, and most sheaths only work with knives... And some swords/knives aren't labeled as sword-weapons and knife-weapons, and need to be bugged to be fixed. Nothing worse than getting your shiny expensive sheath for your shiny expensive sword... only to find out it doesn't fit.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on December 28, 2015, 04:13:48 PM
Most scabbards in-game only work with swords, and most sheaths only work with knives... And some swords/knives aren't labeled as sword-weapons and knife-weapons, and need to be bugged to be fixed. Nothing worse than getting your shiny expensive sheath for your shiny expensive sword... only to find out it doesn't fit.

Actually, the code that makes sheaths and scabbards work looks for specific keywords on the weapons. If the weapon doesn't have that as a keyword, or sdesc term, then it can't fit into the scabbard/sheath - It has nothing to do with the 'type' of weapon.

Ah, interesting. So basically more words need to be added to the acceptable sdescs for the sheath-items. I know Saber is one. Probably other obscure words like Zweihänder or Cutlass, or Falchion likely need to be added as well.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on December 28, 2015, 05:18:35 PM
Ah, interesting. So basically more words need to be added to the acceptable sdescs for the sheath-items. I know Saber is one. Probably other obscure words like Zweihänder or Cutlass, or Falchion likely need to be added as well.

Basically. Though zweihander, bastardsword, two-handed, ect were intentionally left out if I'm reading the code correctly - Something about them being too big to fit into standard scabbards.

If you want to make sure your mastercraft sword fits into the scabbard properly, it's best to make sure it has 'sword' or 'longsword' in the sdesc.

Huh.  That's actually a great tidbit of code knowledge there, Akariel.

Thanks!
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

December 28, 2015, 06:38:11 PM #14 Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 06:40:05 PM by Saellyn
There's a lot of different bastard swords. Some weren't much different than typical longswords. Depending on your area of study, well... uhh... hmm...

There are a lot of bastard swords.

Quote from: Saellyn on December 28, 2015, 06:38:11 PM
Bastard swords are only slightly bigger longswords.

Historically true, but historically longswords were usually two handed weapons.  Longswords in-game are generally not, or are at least -never- used as such in practice, so I always assume the Zalanthan 'longsword' is closer to a hand and a half sword, and the bastard sword is noticeably larger.

That's just my internal dialogue for why things in game are the way they are, though.  Other people may interpret things differently.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Longswords are typically typified as one-or-two handed weapons. In some studies they were exclusively two handed.

But in digging, jesus christ there's too many fucking variations of "long" and "bastard" sword. It's annoying how people couldn't just agree.

Some said bastard swords were in the middle of short and long swords. Funny, huh?

(a|the) * (raptor|kylori|tembo|bahamet|mekillot|etc) has arrived * (above|below|east|west|north|south)

Though honestly, if you stick around to draw your weapons after a mekillot walks in, you're scrab food.

edit: oops. Wrong thread. Sorry.

The * mekillot arrives from the *

flee self

Quote from: Akariel on December 28, 2015, 05:20:26 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on December 28, 2015, 05:18:35 PM

Basically. Though zweihander, bastardsword, two-handed, ect were intentionally left out if I'm reading the code correctly - Something about them being too big to fit into standard scabbards.

If you want to make sure your mastercraft sword fits into the scabbard properly, it's best to make sure it has 'sword' or 'longsword' in the sdesc.

Or we can make "sword" a hidden but targettable keyword for the oddly named weapon and it'll still work.  Scabbards already have limits on how big an object can be sheathed in them.

Quote from: Saellyn on December 28, 2015, 06:53:07 PM

flee self

Not to derail the thread but what's the difference between flee and flee self?
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Quote from: fourTwenty on January 18, 2016, 12:37:50 PM
Quote from: Saellyn on December 28, 2015, 06:53:07 PM

flee self

Not to derail the thread but what's the difference between flee and flee self?

Quote from: help fleeUsing the 'flee self' option will force your character to flee, even if
they are not involved in combat. This can be a useful way to escape from
someone who insists on following your character.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

(almost) all of these problems would go away if we could just wear shields and bows <over shoulder>

Who needs shoulder-packs when the whole reason we want shoulder-packs is to be able to put our bows/shields where we can use them.

Quote from: Delirium on January 18, 2016, 01:04:33 PM
(almost) all of these problems would go away if we could just wear shields and bows <over shoulder>

Who needs shoulder-packs when the whole reason we want shoulder-packs is to be able to put our bows/shields where we can use them.

Shields really wouldn't make sense hitched up on a shoulder, but bows do. There already are shoulder-packs, so really they just need to make bows shoulder-worn instead of back-worn. And then you can sling your pack off one shoulder, have a bow on the other shoulder, and your shield on your back (where it might actually offer protection, which would be a nice bonus).
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on January 18, 2016, 04:25:10 PM
Quote from: Delirium on January 18, 2016, 01:04:33 PM

Shields really wouldn't make sense hitched up on a shoulder, but bows do. There already are shoulder-packs, so really they just need to make bows shoulder-worn instead of back-worn. And then you can sling your pack off one shoulder, have a bow on the other shoulder, and your shield on your back (where it might actually offer protection, which would be a nice bonus).

Even better. I like it. LET'S DO IT YAY