Sudden Death

Started by DustMight, December 14, 2015, 08:01:01 PM

You know that feeling when you haven't played seriously in like a couple of years and then you write up a pretty awesome character (and even get an Imm comment about it in the acceptance email) and you log in and you're like OK, time to rock this and next thing you know you're dead less than an hour later.
Yeah. I have that feeling.

15-20 years playing this game and I still suck at playing solo rangers.  ::)

If it was truly less than an hour, don't you auto-resurrect or something?

Only if it's your very first character. I think.

Quote from: Delirium on December 14, 2015, 08:26:18 PM
Only if it's your very first character. I think.
Correct and it certainly was not.
Well, on to other opportunities.

This sucks, and I've had it happen with special-apps. It really does blow.

There are things you basically have to know to survive as a new ranger. And there's a lot of them. Hopefully things like this can help you avoid death later. I hope you do try again.

1)
Don't fight scrabs. Be careful around even Jozhals.  In the north, you better be fighting those weak-ass ball-tufted tail things(tandu?). Don't mess with Gortok.

2)
Don't even bother going to dangerous places alone if you haven't gotten your ride skill to the point you don't fall off in combat. Luckily that shouldn't take long.

3)
If you go to Storm, having a quick mount is always nice to have to escape Drov beetles. Anything slower than a war-beetle is too slow to escape.

4)
Don't travel between allanak and luirs without cures, or knowing a very safe route. Even still, stray Raptors, and Kagors will kill you.

There's a bunch more. Basically, indie ranger is hard, and you have to take it slow before you can do anything competently.

Bah, indie ranger is straight-up Armageddon easy-mode, you just have to stay in your lane.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 14, 2015, 08:42:02 PM
Bah, indie ranger is straight-up Armageddon easy-mode, you just have to stay in your lane.

LOL
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Quote from: DustMight on December 14, 2015, 08:01:01 PM
You know that feeling when you haven't played seriously in like a couple of years and then you write up a pretty awesome character (and even get an Imm comment about it in the acceptance email) and you log in and you're like OK, time to rock this and next thing you know you're dead less than an hour later.

Change his name, sdesc, and a few physical traits and try again.

I once had a special app'd Drovian die within the first like 2 hours of gameplay, and staff felt bad enough for me that they gave me a second shot. It was one of very few magickers I've played (because ... well. I'm bad at the karma train and magickers make me want to twink hard) but it was definitely incredibly fun. The stuff I got into, got to see and do.... always was glad for that 2nd chance.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Now I wanna play a Drov...
Then again I want to play  nilazi.

Time to spec app a multi elementalist/sorcerer psionicist.

December 14, 2015, 09:04:08 PM #10 Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 09:06:17 PM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 14, 2015, 08:59:25 PM

If he really died that quickly you'd probably be okay doing this.

War beetles are not fast enough to outrun drov beetles.

I don't think even a running erdlu can outrun them. Sorry. You better get an inix.

There have been some changes to the world that might lead to a bad ending that might not have been there when you last played! Even as a veteran, if you find yourself struggling, you might be able to get a hand from our awesome helpers.

Quote from: Mordiggian on December 15, 2015, 05:49:57 AM
There have been some changes to the world that might lead to a bad ending that might not have been there when you last played! Even as a veteran, if you find yourself struggling, you might be able to get a hand from our awesome helpers.

That's true - just as is the saying "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall." I shoulda known better than to think I could rock it after not playing in a long time. But I didn't. And, of course, there is one certainty in Zalanthas, and that is death. In fact, that might be my new sig.

I took like a year long break awhile ago and when I came back I rolled up my go-to ranger guild pc. Not realizing a fucking <redacted> had blown away part of the <redacted> and I go cruising on my old travel route.. 20 min ig and swan dive to destruction. Welcome to Armageddon.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Isn't that super frowned upon? I did a lot of that when I was a newb and got a negative note for recycling.

I wouldn't do it if you've played more than an hour. But I tend to play pretty broad concepts so recycling isn't as obvious.

Quote from: spicemustflow on December 18, 2015, 11:16:36 PM

Isn't that super frowned upon? I did a lot of that when I was a newb and got a negative note for recycling.

If you repeatedly do this then yes it is frowned upon, especially if it is with every single character. Variety is a good thing!

On the other hand if you had one character that died early and you didn't really get a chance to explore them then you can change the name, sdesc and a few physical traits. Just don't always do it.

Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 18, 2015, 11:27:04 PM
I wouldn't do it if you've played more than an hour. But I tend to play pretty broad concepts so recycling isn't as obvious.

I had this ranger character that I really liked and bam, insta death when I left the gates. I don't think I even spoke to anyone. I may do it, notes be damned.

Well, if you don't tell staff your concept before hand, and you die before you explore it, there's not really any actual in-game recycling.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 19, 2015, 12:29:38 AM
Well, if you don't tell staff your concept before hand, and you die before you explore it, there's not really any actual in-game recycling.

WATCH BADSKEELZ

December 21, 2015, 09:34:36 PM #22 Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:48:01 PM by Inks
I had a viv/outdoorsman +archery who died within 4 hours in the silt sea, was typing:

n
n
n
n
n

I had tried to wait out the storm 2rl hours. (after I had quit ooc too after waiting 1 hour)

Then he went south every damn time, into the sea and died. Then I got a bad account note for suiciding him. His hp was bad but he had great wisdom and great agi.

I am still a little resentful of that. Novice dsense ain't shit, apparently.

To be honest, novice d-sense is actually pretty good. Especially with sun-slits. But Storm has storms epic in nature, so I can see how it could fuck you over with some bad luck.

That sounds like a horrible experience though. I've been in similar situations and it was always annoying.