Injuries - Longterm effects

Started by theebie, December 10, 2015, 08:06:36 AM

How about adding longterm penalities for injuries ?

Yes, that'd be great, injuries are treated too lush at the moment
23 (48.9%)
No, I don't want any changes here
24 (51.1%)

Total Members Voted: 47

I can just imagine how much a newbie is going to want to play Arm after his newly-aba'd Bynner is KOed by Stumpsface FightFocus the fighty dwarf, and his first PC is sidelined for hours.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 11, 2015, 05:26:35 PM
I can just imagine how much a newbie is going to want to play Arm after his newly-aba'd Bynner is KOed by Stumpsface FightFocus the fighty dwarf, and his first PC is sidelined for hours.

I mean. Really. You'd think you could just go to the already-in-game Byn doctors and have them work on your wounds. YET ANOTHER REASON TO BE CLANNED: DOCTORS.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

FWIW, as a combat clan member/leader I would always sideline a character who took a beating like that in sparring anyway.  It's a good teaching moment for newbies.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on December 11, 2015, 05:36:28 PM
FWIW, as a combat clan member/leader I would always sideline a character who took a beating like that in sparring anyway.  It's a good teaching moment for newbies.

+1

Also have done and will continue to do this. Ordered more than one person to "light duty" for a bit.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Would the proposal still be the same -- and would those on the fence or against it be sated -- if we had it so that sleep worked as a magickal fix, just as it does now?

o Sleep will still work the same, and you will be fully, and magickally, healed by sleeping it off, as it is now.  (Sleep comes with its own risks in the field, so finding a physician or having one handy would be the better thing to do.)

o Since sleep works the same way, you can pretend the Byn doctor is patching you up, just like you do now.  (Or, alternatively, put a physician in the clans who you could order to patch you up.)

The core proposal would be to give physicians something other to do than bandage, and to have different kinds of wounds other than quantitative hp loss, e.g., movement sinks, loss of agility, and so on, as OP describes it.

(I also think Lizzie's adrenaline idea is pretty neat.)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

No. Now you just make the whole of the injury code superfluous and unnecessary.

People can RP being wounded or crippled just fine on their own. If you could sleep away such status, the same people who ignore that 50HP hit now would just quickly sleep to get rid of its effects.

You're just adding a bunch of onerous code.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 11, 2015, 05:55:50 PM

People can RP being wounded or crippled just fine on their own. If you could sleep away such status, the same people who ignore that 50HP hit now would just quickly sleep to get rid of its effects.

Maybe two sleeps?   :D
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

The games should adopt dwarf fortress's wounding system. No more numbers for HP at all--let's use entirely qualitative tags and track each body part separately, complete with severability.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 11, 2015, 05:55:50 PM

So don't treat them with sleep.

Create a market for magickal and mundane healing.

And when you're out of the mundane healing items? Or there's no physicians online? You're just coding a hassle for people.

What if it were three (3) sleeps?  But that's my last offer.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 12, 2015, 01:38:43 AM
And when you're out of the mundane healing items? Or there's no physicians online? You're just coding a hassle for people.
Then we can remove hunger and thirst too? Or costs in shops? Difficulty or bad outcomes are actually ok to have in a game if you're unprepared with a situation or do risky things. Making characters variantly useful is important and code to help create or encourage reliance on others can only be a good thing in an RPI mud.

Getting hurt already has a bad outcome: you lose HP. If you lose enough where you can't regen, you either have to sleep (which, while twinky, at least leaves you vulnerable) or get bandaged. You can also get healed by a magicker too but who wants to do that.

Quote from: nauta on December 12, 2015, 01:48:50 AM

Would still rather the purchasable scars add weight and maybe remove HP from your cap, so players can RP this as much as they want without some shit code determining it.

I played a character who got busted up for a while. It was a lot of fun. Though to be frank, the idea of a coded detriment hitting my character for it would've resulted in a quick store.

I mean yeah if you hit 20hp you should have to work that shit off in emotes about the doctors and the ect, but I'm uncomfortable leaving this in the hands of the machine. Because to it, getting beaten to 20hp from a wooden training sword is no different than with a massive battleaxe. If you want to argue that even in a sparring scenario you're taking lasting damage, be my guest, but it seems silly to me that some raider's cleaving strikes or an animals jaw could equal your best friend trying to help you with your sword technique. It's too case by case. Alternatives can exist in lieu of 'proper' roleplay but I feel like, instead of hearing excuses about how you healed up fast from that one fight you had, you'd be getting a lot more about your entire clan being too busted up by blunt swords to go on the RPT ride.
Part-Time Internets Lady

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 12, 2015, 03:34:31 AM
Getting hurt already has a bad outcome: you lose HP. If you lose enough where you can't regen, you either have to sleep (which, while twinky, at least leaves you vulnerable) or get bandaged. You can also get healed by a magicker too but who wants to do that.

Quote from: nauta on December 12, 2015, 01:48:50 AM

Would still rather the purchasable scars add weight and maybe remove HP from your cap, so players can RP this as much as they want without some shit code determining it.

If they did that I'm fairly sure nobody AT ALL would buy scars.

Quote from: Lizzie on December 10, 2015, 08:30:45 AM
What I'd like - is if serious injuries resulted in an extended (doubled) movement delay.

If you had a grievous wound - no matter where or why - there's no way in hell it makes any sense to be able to walk or run at the usual pace once the adrenaline rush wears off.

So for serious wounds, and below 50% hp loss, the code would wait til after "flee" or after 2 rooms of movement occurs, then flag on a double-delay time for a RL hour.

This ^^^^

That sounds about right to me, with maybe smaller %'s of penalties for falling below 50% health, 10% health, ect. I don't think they should be that high, really.

Quote from: QuillDipper on December 12, 2015, 05:49:29 AM
A bunch of smart stuff...

I agree with everything Quill said.

Quote from: SixFifty on December 12, 2015, 09:55:56 AM
Quote from: Lizzie on December 10, 2015, 08:30:45 AM
What I'd like - is if serious injuries resulted in an extended (doubled) movement delay.

If you had a grievous wound - no matter where or why - there's no way in hell it makes any sense to be able to walk or run at the usual pace once the adrenaline rush wears off.

So for serious wounds, and below 50% hp loss, the code would wait til after "flee" or after 2 rooms of movement occurs, then flag on a double-delay time for a RL hour.

This ^^^^

That sounds about right to me, with maybe smaller %'s of penalties for falling below 50% health, 10% health, ect. I don't think they should be that high, really.

This sort of thing is much more appetizing to me.

I've always felt that after a certain point you shouldn't be able to heal without seeing a physician. Not just sleeping.

60-40% would still require sleep to regen. Anything under 40% requires help. Either you are able to bandage yourself, or you need to find someone who can. Every hub of civilization would have a room/shop with an NPC who could bandage you for a fee, boosting you up to the point where you can sleep/heal again.

Quote from: Akariel on December 11, 2015, 01:50:39 AM
How much Karma do you want because I would love you if you did this.

That depends...how much karma do you need to play a magickally sentient sparring dummy with master backstab?  ;D

I actually did a bit of the legwork for it previously (like creating a routine to grep my logs for key damage phrases and collate them, and writing the regex to identify those phases in the client scroll and parse them for type and severity).  There are still some hurdles, but it's coming along, albeit slowly.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: Saellyn on December 12, 2015, 09:15:23 AM

If they did that I'm fairly sure nobody AT ALL would buy scars.

I wouldn't.

Ever.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

It'd be interesting sleep no longer brought you back to full health once you were below 55%.

And instead there were objects like crutches and splints that gave you -30 hp.  By equipping enough of these you could decrease your max HP, which you could use to prop yourself above 55%.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Quote from: Marauder Moe on December 11, 2015, 05:08:26 PM
Mostly I like the idea, but I'm not sure we really want/need it.

My biggest worry is how battle RPTs are currently handled.  It would suck to be held up for lack of a medic or worse, having to quit the field due to too many injuries.

I do like the idea of a stool/system that tracks injuries but doesn't impose coded penalties as good a place to start/compromise, though.

Well, if your group gets beat up so badly that everybody is wounded, I would -WANT- everybody to get held up by a lack of medics ? And have the mission failed ? Since everybody's freaking wounded ?

December 16, 2015, 12:37:32 PM #47 Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 12:51:37 PM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: theebie on December 16, 2015, 05:17:53 AM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on December 11, 2015, 05:08:26 PM
Mostly I like the idea, but I'm not sure we really want/need it.

My biggest worry is how battle RPTs are currently handled.  It would suck to be held up for lack of a medic or worse, having to quit the field due to too many injuries.

I do like the idea of a stool/system that tracks injuries but doesn't impose coded penalties as good a place to start/compromise, though.

Well, if your group gets beat up so badly that everybody is wounded, I would -WANT- everybody to get held up by a lack of medics ? And have the mission failed ? Since everybody's freaking wounded ?

When I see posts like this I wonder if you even play the game. If it were like you're suggesting, nothing would ever happen. Sergeants would be too busy trying to skill their underlings up in order to handle the mission, only to have them then die/store/suicide before the mission even comes around. Turnover in this game is about 3 real life weeks. That's how long you should expect to keep the average recruit alive. It takes more than 3 RL weeks to get someone trained to where they're competent enough not to be wounded on every single mission.

edit: For instance, I had a warrior who I gave skill bumps to, and ended up with 5days played. 5 days played warrior. Should be pretty fucking tough, right? He got hit by a scrab with the double-attack. Both vicious pinches to the neck, and then one more to the body. I had to flee from a goddamn scrab. At this point scrabs were lucky to even get a single hit on me, but freak shit happens. I was suddenly at about 70/110 hp. Now, this is high enough to regen. But, this was a fucking scrab, and I was a 5 day warrior who STARTED OUT with skill bumps. Now imagine your unit full of noob Rangers who you need to train up for a hunting mission... Imagine all the damn wounds you would get from the training itself.

Detailed, long-lasting injuries would be great in a game in which life-endangering combat was rare, and safe-yet-efficacious long-term training was the norm.

Arm is not that game.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

I find that 5 days played can realistically be fairly tough. I mean I have had someone with less hold their own against people with far more time. (Or at least I assume they had more time)