What if being clean was really expensive?, feat. 50 Cent

Started by In Dreams, December 06, 2015, 06:27:04 PM

December 06, 2015, 06:27:04 PM Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 06:35:06 PM by In Dreams
So on Arm having clothes not covered in grime and dust basically means you're stanky rich, and you're going to die trying to spend that shit. This is literally you, if you spend a couple hundred coins on clothes, then don't step in poop or get a grievous wound to the groin from a spider or a sparring session:

But what if it actually cost coin to keep your clothes clean? What if just wearing them around without taking them off for days could get them sweaty, dusty, and gross to the point where they just need some cleaning to indicate that they're actually NOT gross? What if you had to use some actual water or cleaning fluid to clean them? What if you couldn't get that water for free from your clan's bottomless cistern?

For that matter, what if you got sweaty and dusty and gross just from walking around and needing to wash up? What if parading through the desert for four days straight and then walking straight over to meet Lord Fluffybottom didn't look like this?

And looked more like this, with all clothes sweaty and dust that can't be removed with just a 'dust self'?

I'm so not a coder, but just off the top of my head, this would be kind of fun to see:

You're in the Gaj.
The color-haired, color-eyed person is standing here, plastered with sweat.
The color-eyed, eye-eyed Labyrinth person is sitting at the bar, dusty and grimy.
The eye-haired, hair-eyed haireye is sitting at a table, covered in filth.
-He smells utterly rancid.
The craftsperson is standing here, speckled with obsidian dust/sawdust/something indicating crafting?
-She smells like cooking!

>wash shirt waterskin
You wash your shirt with cleaning fluid from your waterskin.
It's not totally gross anymore for awhile, fancypants.

>wash me waterskin
You wash yourself with water from your waterskin.
You're slightly less grimy.

>n
You're at the local baths, hosted by House Sath or something.
An attendant charges you 500 coins.
You're so fresh and clean now. Go show off.
>use perfume
You use perfume and stuff.
>look

The color-haired, color-eyed noble is standing here, crisp and clean.
-She smells like sunshine, daffodils and happiness.

I know the whole of it's probably ambitious, but any of the above or something like them making the game dirtier and allowing a bigger gap between rich and poor, clean and unclean, would be pretty cool I think! It would also give people some meaningless aesthetics to blow their coin on, which is popular. Fact.

I would be interested in this being done with the assess command. One would think dirt and grime on a commoner and cleanliness on an aide would be usually unnoticeable if each were in the right tavern, but if one wanted to peer at them for a moment to see the dirt up-close (often it would be the same color of the person) then I think that should be noticeable.

im all for more stages and grades of wear, tear, and need for care. +1, but I don't want it breaking up my looks even more, and agree with the idea of smell being included in assessments. spicers will also be much more noticeable (and pleasant smelling to boot)
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I like the idea of it being visible on assess. Otherwise when you're also bleeding, your sdesc is going to be ridiculously long.

The color-haired, color-eyed person is standing here, plastered with sweat, bleeding profusely.
The color-eyed, eye-eyed Labyrinth person is sitting at the bar, dusty and grimy, bleeding lightly.
The eye-haired, hair-eyed haireye is sitting at a table, covered in filth, bleeding heavily.

As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Not to undermine the OP, but some of this can be done voluntarily by using tdesc and the sparing, creative use of hemotes.

You notice:  The broad-bottomed lass has crunchy stains under her armpits and she smells like very warm, slightly rancid milk.
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Quote from: Seeker on December 07, 2015, 05:10:48 PM
Not to undermine the OP, but some of this can be done voluntarily by using tdesc and the sparing, creative use of hemotes.

You notice:  The broad-bottomed lass has crunchy stains under her armpits and she smells like very warm, slightly rancid milk.

true, but it's not involuntary to do tdescs, and I think that's what the OP is going for here. The key is making it a.) tasteful b.) manageable, so that it's not an oppressive coin sink for all and c.) flavor-adding. if it doesn't add anything to force us into the stinks, then keep it out; this is a role playing centered game, not a cleanliness minigame on the ipad.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Seeker on December 07, 2015, 05:10:48 PM

Not to mention I'd really rather have less coded things to worry about. This can already be represented through responsible roleplay.

Regarding Harmless' line on "unobtrusive" - I'm a huge fan of hidden sources of information that reward sleuthing and lateral thinking.

sniff is great example of this.  You can use this command on the room to give you broad clues about your location in the dark.  I also like how look man's jacket will give you details about the sweat stains and the blood hidden under the dust, even though they don't show up on the equipment list.  Stuff like this is awesome.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Armageddon's default sdesc is presumed filth.

If you want to be clean, you should emote -that-, and all the stupid tags should be for -clean- people.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Give me special emotes and cast animations because I smell good.

>You channel Vivadu through your body, also you smell like roses.

I really do want something similar to a bathhouse in the city, which has super high costs in it so that usually only wealthy merchants or nobility can enter, though it gives chances for very lucky commoners to get in. 5 small to enter sounds about right, unless there is also a lower-class one as well that costs only 250 sid, that way you can split the classes.

One of them is a really nice big steamy bath-house with silk-clad men and women feeding grapes to nobles.
The commoner one has water that is changed maybe once a week, but kept warm so that it'll clean you off, but if someone -really- gross gets in the water, you're kinda fucked and will be in some slightly dirtier water then you'd want.

I think this sort of thing can be handled by responsible roleplaying and use of the tdesc.  I imagine that the noble class is largely identified by their cleanliness, even moreso than their fine clothing...  then again, maybe everyone is filthy, and they just don't notice or care.

Quote from: wizturbo on December 10, 2015, 05:57:29 PM
I think this sort of thing can be handled by responsible roleplaying and use of the tdesc.  I imagine that the noble class is largely identified by their cleanliness, even moreso than their fine clothing...  then again, maybe everyone is filthy, and they just don't notice or care.

There is always a difference between the dude with shitty stained armor and the dude with the shiny new armor.