A Sneak's Handbook?

Started by nauta, December 06, 2015, 05:05:16 PM

Quote from: Inks on December 17, 2015, 05:38:15 PM

If you are an elf don't hide in a certain bar

If you're an elf you can hide anywhere! Don't let people bring you down, hater's gonna hate.

*Just don't get caught.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Hide in prison and if the Templar finds use that mc dagger you made while in the cells to kill him and his guard.

Solid Snake
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: Jihelu on December 17, 2015, 07:16:08 PM
Hide in prison and if the Templar finds use that mc dagger you made while in the cells to kill him and his guard.

I don't want to give away specifics, but this is theoretically possible. If we disregard the fact the Templar and their guard will probably school you in combat, any PC in the game can get thrown in a cell and then craft a prison shank.

Re: Stealthing everywhere

I don't have a problem with the sneak as much as the hiding.  Yes, you can handwave yourself into just blending into the crowd and so forth, but the fact remains that with a high sneak and hide skill you are essentially undetectable, codedly.  And there are people that do this... Literally.  All.  The.  Time.

These are generally the same people who will be alone in their own apartment and use 'slip' and 'palm' to get a bag off the shelf and put it back.   ??? ::)

Whew! My 'rinths never owned a shelf. I'm still good to make low-profile alley rats, maintaining good bar manners of course. :)

Quote from: seidhr on December 18, 2015, 12:21:41 PM

I don't have a problem with the sneak as much as the hiding.  Yes, you can handwave yourself into just blending into the crowd and so forth, but the fact remains that with a high sneak and hide skill you are essentially undetectable, codedly.  And there are people that do this... Literally.  All.  The.  Time.

I always wondered when I played in the 'rinth.  Is it literally this lonely?  Or am I'm the only fool walking around in the open?

This makes me believe I am in fact the only fool walking around, in the open.  Suddenly I'm red with embarrassment.  I apologize you watched random sneaky character, that solo rp was... ummm... for story... and a releasing of tension.

Quote from: hopeandsorrow on December 18, 2015, 03:24:46 PM
Quote from: seidhr on December 18, 2015, 12:21:41 PM

I always wondered when I played in the 'rinth.  Is it literally this lonely?  Or am I'm the only fool walking around in the open?

This makes me believe I am in fact the only fool walking around, in the open.  Suddenly I'm red with embarrassment.  I apologize you watched random sneaky character, that solo rp was... ummm... for story... and a releasing of tension.

Hey, We call you, not you call Us.

Quote from: hopeandsorrow on December 18, 2015, 03:24:46 PM

Nah, the 'rinth is actually a lonely place. Yes, there are sometimes going to be stealthy characters watching you and not interacting, but that is true elsewhere in the game. The 'rinth's playability problems go beyond "everyone is hiding from each other" and is kinda outside the scope of this thread.

I came from another diku based mud where that shared the common hide, sneak, steal type of stealth commands, so it came naturally to me. Getting good at these things however, was something that took me a long while to figure out and it's never really easy to do without a little twinkish behavior. I'm at the point now where if I want to play a sneaky type character I'm going to save a spec-app for it and get some boosts to the harder to train skills. If you don't have a friend to steal from you're playing a dangerous game using novice steal on something. I'd rather skip the risk (and the twinkishness).
3/21/16 Never Forget

You don't need to twink to raise steal. Just do exactly what a newbie pickpocket should be doing: find low-risk targets of opportunity who will not be able to timely report you to law enforcement, and run if they catch you. Don't try again on that same person (or anyone nearby, if they shout about it) for the next IC week. Done. Personally, for most sneaky character concepts I find the idea of sitting in a room with someone trying to drill your thieving skillz much more ridiculous than just going out and trying it despite being bad at it.

Backstab and sap are the only stealth skills I feel are difficult to improve without twinking, unless your character is actually a psychotic mass-murderer.

"Backstab and sap are the only stealth skills I feel are difficult to improve without twinking, unless your character is actually a psychotic mass-murderer."
Welcome to the Labrynth enjoy your stay.

Quote from: Hauwke on December 11, 2015, 07:56:34 PM
The way i see it. Even without scan or listen you should be able to spot someone. I mean, an apprentice of sneak isnt climbing through the rafters like a ninja to avoid everyone.

You can. And most times you will at that level. Depending on several factors that include current room, weather, and applicable skills and stats.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died