A Sneak's Handbook?

Started by nauta, December 06, 2015, 05:05:16 PM

Quote from: Jave on December 06, 2015, 06:04:55 AM
Honestly, I think that every skill in the game aside from weapon skills are pretty straight forward in how they advance and quite easy to understand from the information already available in the help files.

So, this got me thinking.  I found a lot of the sneak skills to be pretty hard to understand as a newbie, both in terms of how to practice them (how to advance them) and in terms of what they actually did.  One of my first posts as a newbie, in fact, was asking for help with respect to sneak skills.

For me, at least, the sneak skills were opaque for a few reasons:

(a) You can't just -watch- how others train up / use / (h|s|e)mote around a sneak skill, because they are sneak skills.  (Ok, strictly speaking you can -watch- if your watch is good enough.)

(b) You can't realistically practice them on your own or with someone else. I know that you can ask your friend inside an apartment if you can try to pinch from them, but almost every one of those scenes I've been in have been extremely clunky, meta-level and immersion breaking.  I also know that you can plant and steal from a room, although I've never been very clear on whether this actually gets you your fail or not, or if it's good form or not.  (Also, last I checked: plant didn't have a delay whereas steal did.)

(c) Hide doesn't have a flag that tells you that you are still trying to hide, and a lot of things break hide without letting you know that your hide has been broken -- that you are no longer trying to hide, which is something that your PC would absolutely know: whether or not they are trying to hide or not  -- plus, there are some borderline cases (e.g., 'arrange' breaks
hide).

(d) There's no thief camp, unlike Salarr/Kadius for crafters and the Byn for combat types.

I mean, I eventually figured this stuff out, but, unlike in other cases, finding out in-character just meant a lot of dubious  "psi ratfucker hey, did this break hide?  how about now?  how about now?" and other immersion-breaking dances.

Solutions?  Perhaps some tweaking to the helpfiles; as a newbie, I really wanted examples of people using, e.g., hide or steal or sap in action, so I could see what sort of emotes / hemotes / semotes they used; maybe some code tweaks here and there.

Maybe others had more specific problems with sneak skills and areas documentation-wise where they could be improved.  Maybe it was just me.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Well I guess you could consider the Guild a sneak camp but they do other shit too so ehhhhhhh

Also it should hint at what sneak classes can do what as opposed to other.
What stealth class has better sneak/hide?
Stuff like that.
Things that 'wont' break stealth most times.
I know sap and backstab hint at it, and even do a good job of explaining "If you fuck your sap up expect fight"

Honestly, there's aren't many good way to use lower levels of Hide or Sneak, Steal, and other similar skills around other players without being incredibly, comically obvious and being forever labeled as skulking elf who needs to be watched.

The only ways I know of are "sneak training" with a trusted friend. Or alone, with NPC's where you risk being seen by other sneaks who have high skills.

For the the first one, it's very rare to find a person who can consistently help you like that(especially if they get nothing out of it). The second one feels gamey and twinkish no matter how much roleplay you throw into it.

The good news is those skills go up pretty fast, so you don't have to deal with that predicament long.

This is why you make friends kids.
Or join a family.
"hey bro I need to sneak around your ass so I can steal from people"

"What did we say about this? Okay I'll help"

The first point of karma I got was for having good discretion with my play as an Assassin. This was before they changed how karma was given obviously.

I think the most important part about playing a sneak, is to not look, dress, talk, or act like you're playing a sneak, if you play your sneaky-sneaky like the most important thing in the world is that nobody ever knows you can do anything sneaky I think it's a bit more fun. Unless of course your pc's personality is to be a shitty sneaky. If you walk around in ninja-gear and end every conversation by trying to meld into the shadows then... wait that sounds kind of awesome.

Cancel everything I just said. Be a god damn daylight batman if you want.  ;)
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

My first ever character was a burgler. Yes I fucked up bad. But I actually had a very good arm experience with it. Without revealing IC info basically what happened was 'Whoa wait how did I get this deep in  the doo doo without even using sneak ir shit'  and was promptly taught icly to emote stealthing around. Actually if I could remember the dude that did this with me I would give him a big kudos.
Anyway my point is after tambling, find a small group. Dont twink it of course but as a small group hemote slinking through the shadows all together. Follow a random pc for a bit then gto of there so as not to get maimed if this is all off topic let me know and I will remove it or edit it so it is on topic.

I'd add it's confusing what skills are in sleight of hand and what are their own skill.

Quote from: roobee on December 10, 2015, 12:35:58 AM
I'd add it's confusing what skills are in sleight of hand and what are their own skill.

How so?  I just did a HELP SLEIGHT OF HAND and it lists: palm, slip, latch, unlatch.

Hmm.  Aren't there two other commands (stow, ready) that are part of sleight of hand as well?  That's worth adding to the 'Improving the HELP FILES' thread if it's true.  I'm not sure it's true, though.  Maybe somebody who knows could answer that.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on December 10, 2015, 12:43:03 AM
Quote from: roobee on December 10, 2015, 12:35:58 AM

How so?  I just did a HELP SLEIGHT OF HAND and it lists: palm, slip, latch, unlatch.

Hmm.  Aren't there two other commands (stow, ready) that are part of sleight of hand as well?  That's worth adding to the 'Improving the HELP FILES' thread if it's true.  I'm not sure it's true, though.  Maybe somebody who knows could answer that.

Yep, stow and ready are based on sleight of hand.

steal <item> -- lifting an item from the room -- is based on steal, but palm <item> <container or surface> is based on sleight of hand, even if the container or surface is an object sitting in the room.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Apprentice hide and sneak should be made useful against someone without scan/listen>apprentice. Failure should only occur when someone has the skill to see or hear you.

The way i see it. Even without scan or listen you should be able to spot someone. I mean, an apprentice of sneak isnt climbing through the rafters like a ninja to avoid everyone.

Quote from: nauta on December 06, 2015, 05:05:16 PM
So, this got me thinking.  I found a lot of the sneak skills to be pretty hard to understand as a newbie, both in terms of how to practice them (how to advance them) and in terms of what they actually did.  One of my first posts as a newbie, in fact, was asking for help with respect to sneak skills.

For me, at least, the sneak skills were opaque for a few reasons:

(a) You can't just -watch- how others train up / use / (h|s|e)mote around a sneak skill, because they are sneak skills.  (Ok, strictly speaking you can -watch- if your watch is good enough.)

(b) You can't realistically practice them on your own or with someone else. I know that you can ask your friend inside an apartment if you can try to pinch from them, but almost every one of those scenes I've been in have been extremely clunky, meta-level and immersion breaking.  I also know that you can plant and steal from a room, although I've never been very clear on whether this actually gets you your fail or not, or if it's good form or not.  (Also, last I checked: plant didn't have a delay whereas steal did.)

(c) Hide doesn't have a flag that tells you that you are still trying to hide, and a lot of things break hide without letting you know that your hide has been broken -- that you are no longer trying to hide, which is something that your PC would absolutely know: whether or not they are trying to hide or not  -- plus, there are some borderline cases (e.g., 'arrange' breaks
hide).

(d) There's no thief camp, unlike Salarr/Kadius for crafters and the Byn for combat types.

I mean, I eventually figured this stuff out, but, unlike in other cases, finding out in-character just meant a lot of dubious  "psi ratfucker hey, did this break hide?  how about now?  how about now?" and other immersion-breaking dances.

Solutions?  Perhaps some tweaking to the helpfiles; as a newbie, I really wanted examples of people using, e.g., hide or steal or sap in action, so I could see what sort of emotes / hemotes / semotes they used; maybe some code tweaks here and there.

Maybe others had more specific problems with sneak skills and areas documentation-wise where they could be improved.  Maybe it was just me.

I think that you're right.  Thieves are kind of the red-headed step-children of the game.  What's worse, as good as the current staff is, I don't feel that anyone currently running the game is able to boost the thief experience.  I get the sense that they're mostly a group of people who've never shoplifted anything.

Quote from: CodeMaster on December 10, 2015, 12:58:35 AM
steal <item> -- lifting an item from the room -- is based on steal, but palm <item> <container or surface> is based on sleight of hand, even if the container or surface is an object sitting in the room.

Let me get this straight: palm/slip allow you to palm/slip something that is on the ground in the room?  I had thought that only steal/plant allow that whereas palm/slip allow you to get stuff from a container or surface (bar or table).

I guess the "even if..." line is tossing me off.

Also, ibusoe, you're so weird.  :D

Quote from: nauta on December 11, 2015, 09:38:01 PM

Let me get this straight: palm/slip allow you to palm/slip something that is on the ground in the room?  I had thought that only steal/plant allow that whereas palm/slip allow you to get stuff from a container or surface (bar or table).

Also, ibusoe, you're so weird.  :D

Yeah.  If there is a mug on a table in the room, you have to use palm to get it off.  Take out the "even" :)

sleight of hand works on container objects, regardless of placement in room, worn, or in inventory.

steal works on objects themselves, in room or in inventory

You can steal that pouch on the ground with steal, and hope nobody catches it, or you can palm out a few of the coins and leave the pouch undisturbed with sleight.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

If you are good enough.
You can peek to see where a guy keeps his keys.
Shadow him into his apartment.
Steal that key.
Sneak a ginka into his belt
Then lock him inside his house.
Ez

Quote from: CodeMaster on December 11, 2015, 09:56:06 PM
Quote from: nauta on December 11, 2015, 09:38:01 PM

Yeah.  If there is a mug on a table in the room, you have to use palm to get it off.  Take out the "even" :)

Great, I thiiink we are on the same page -- it's been a while, but I remember that distinction tossing me off too.  Here's some language I suggested in the Improving the HELP FILES thread on SLEIGHT OF HAND (might as well add it to STEAL too):

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,50232.msg915681.html#msg915681

o Note: While steal (see STEAL) and plant (see PLANT) allow you to pick up or drop objects in the room, palm and slip only allow you to pick up or drop objects in a container (including a bar or table).

Does that capture it?

For sure, that's probably a line worth adding. :)

Just for the love of God don't be one of those people who sneaks and hides EVERYWHERE they go, ALL the time.  It's dumb.   :-\

December 16, 2015, 11:11:09 PM #20 Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:12:48 PM by hyzhenhok
If we understand sneak/hide in crowded environments to be blending in and keeping a low profile rather than ninja antics, I don't see why it's unreasonable certain characters might make generous use of sneaking/hiding while in public. It's important to have appropriate IC justification to be sure, but having reasons your character wants to avoid people is a lot easier than having reasons your character is brutally backstabbing random beggars or boxing with lizards or etc.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on December 16, 2015, 11:11:09 PM
If we understand sneak/hide in crowded environments to be blending in and keeping a low profile rather than ninja antics, I don't see why it's unreasonable certain characters might make generous use of sneaking/hiding while in public. It's important to have appropriate IC justification to be sure, but having reasons your character wants to avoid people is a lot easier than having reasons your character is brutally backstabbing random beggars or boxing with lizards or etc.

I agree with this.

Yeah, the way I see apprentice city sneak. Is basically blending in but bumping into people occassionally or something that just breaks the cover if you know what I mean.

December 17, 2015, 05:38:15 PM #24 Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 06:04:17 PM by Inks
Hide and sneak in city environments also includes ninja antics. It's why there is city based camouflage that makes you look like a ninja. In unpopulated areas like rooftops you would hardly "blend in with the crowd". One thing I personally dislike is independant (non-guild, non-Jaxah) pcs using stealth to sneak around the rinth while wearing fancy inky-black or ebon raptor gear, etc. Jesus.

Apprentice stealth skills work more than you think but be prepared for everyone to look at you dubiously and give passive aggressive emotes.

If you are an elf don't hide in a certain bar, if you are human don't hide in a certain bar. Also don't always be hidden everywhere. It is dumb Seidhr is on the  money there. I remember a couple of pcs over a year ago that were ridiculous with it.