Toggleable Hints Messages

Started by Dar, November 02, 2015, 11:06:36 PM

Heya.

So ... imagine if newbies were to have a feature where every 5 minutes or so, they'd have an echo of some random hint about Armageddon. Perhaps a Syntax thingie, or perhaps even some bit of a Lore. It'd be absolutely toggleable and they'd be able to turn it on and off at any time they like. Let's say there is such a feature. What kinds of messages should they be receiving? Does anyone have any ideas?

You could dig through the 'neat code tricks' thread for a lot of them (can't find it right now).

I really like the idea.  I'd probably use it as a not-so-newbie myself.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

"The Gladiator and the Gaj is a dirty, scummy bar that is also the main meeting place of the average commoner and hunter.  It's located off of Caravan Way, close to the western gates of Allanak."

Things like that.

If this were an actual project, I'd submit a bunch of things.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Or something that their PC should know but they themselves don't know 'cos the docs aren't clear about it.

Such as nodding to northern nobles and bowing to southern nobles.
I ruin immershunz.

November 03, 2015, 07:14:12 AM #4 Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 07:25:39 AM by Bushranger
Do you folks actually like this sort of thing when you join a new mud?

Personally I find them annoying as hell and count it as a feature that drives me away from a game.

EDIT: A 'Hint' command would be much more favourable, where you type 'Hint' and you get a hint. This means you can fill in some down time when not much is happening by reading through hints and when things get hectic and your screen is already scrolling you don't get spammed with random hints as well. Being toggleable just means it will get turned off during the Gaj brawl/Arena event when its a nuisance and forgotten about.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Bushranger on November 03, 2015, 07:14:12 AM

Personally I find them annoying as hell and count it as a feature that drives me away from a game.

EDIT: A 'Hint' command would be much more favourable, where you type 'Hint' and you get a hint. This means you can fill in some down time when not much is happening by reading through hints and when things get hectic and your screen is already scrolling you don't get spammed with random hints as well. Being toggleable just means it will get turned off during the Gaj brawl/Arena event when its a nuisance and forgotten about.

A few games have been recommended to me over the years, and I've tried them. Every one that had those auto-hint things in them I've logged in, seen them, logged out, and never returned. I shouldn't even have to spend a single moment trying to figure out how to turn that shit off.

If, on the other hand, it was as Bushranger suggests OR if there was an auto-hint that defaulted to "off" and you had to actively turn it on to get it - then I'd be okay with that.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Jesus.. I'd never thought features hurting not a soul could generate so much hate. I may need a moment o.0
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Bushranger on November 03, 2015, 07:14:12 AM

I tend to be impatient with all new games, because they are not ARM!  So yes, when I get these things it is a turn off, until I figure out the way to turn them off. If I cannot easily do this, then I turn..and log off.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Could tack them onto the motd or something.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

> help hint
Type 'hint' to show a randomly-selected short tidbit of information about playing Armageddon.
Type 'hint on' to have a random hint shown after 3 minutes of idle time.
Type 'hint off' to turn off the display of hints during idle time.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

November 03, 2015, 12:04:22 PM #10 Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 12:12:28 PM by nauta
This could be something a player with the coding ability might cobble together.  I could imagine a simple website that could be linked off the main page (or even embedded in the main page) that would pull a hint from a flat text file or whatever each time you reload.

I for one am one of those players that do like games with hints -- I like the neat code tricks thread for just that reason, but it's hard to slog through it.

as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I've presented this idea before myself.

I would like to see hints in game that can be easily toggled off.

They would basically explain things that every new player I introduce to the game asks me anyways out of character to get started.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on November 03, 2015, 12:41:18 PM

They would basically explain things that every new player I introduce to the game asks me anyways out of character to get started.

As long as the default is OFF - so it starts out off, with a message at the very end of the login process (after the MOTD) that says TYPE HINTS ON now, to get auto-hint assistance. and then the very first hint that shows up is TYPE HINTS OFF NOW to turn off the auto-hint system. then that'd be fine.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on November 03, 2015, 03:50:39 PM
Quote from: Desertman on November 03, 2015, 12:41:18 PM

As long as the default is OFF - so it starts out off, with a message at the very end of the login process (after the MOTD) that says TYPE HINTS ON now, to get auto-hint assistance. and then the very first hint that shows up is TYPE HINTS OFF NOW to turn off the auto-hint system. then that'd be fine.

Agreed.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

HINT: When you flee, hitched followers will not come with you.
HINT: It's a shield wall, fuck you.
HINT: Moosebyts kan b pretti nasti mind yew.
(triggered when somebody tries to use the consider command) HINT: It will WRECK your day. Join the Byn.
HINT: The writers who sacked the writers of the previous hintfiles, have been sacked. The rest of your hints will be done in a completely different fashion. *doses with skellebain*

Though, I do like the idea. It could be indespensible for newbs. Might be a bit challenging but if the hints could be tied to whatever room, area, or zone they're in for what's generated, it could get them into the game quicker.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

I have played 15 years and still learn little newbie hint-worthy shit all the time. 'Quit now' or whatever the syntax is? Had no clue about it until like a week ago. Brief room? Within the last year.

I think this is a great idea.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I think hint/tutorial messages, be they scrolling or otherwise, are not a bad idea.

We have a lot of code nuances that I didn't even realize myself for literally years.

Like the magic of 'keyword .' for instance.

Quote from: Erythil on November 05, 2015, 06:12:54 AM
I think hint/tutorial messages, be they scrolling or otherwise, are not a bad idea.

We have a lot of code nuances that I didn't even realize myself for literally years.

Like the magic of 'keyword .' for instance.

OMG, yeah, I recall a post where a player mentioned the keyword command, just type k .

Changed the way I played the game, of course, I was hesitant to type it at first, remembering the time someone on another game gave out a tip that killed half a clan when they all typed it at once.

We could include the long list of neat little things as hints.

Also a hint about how the fuck to use an inventory and also the fact that one exists.

When I was a newbie I wandered about aimlessly, having never played a MUD. I didn't realize I had any coins at all and had no idea how to check.

I was pretty helpless. I was also playing an elf.

As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: Taven on November 05, 2015, 07:45:26 PM
Also a hint about how the fuck to use an inventory and also the fact that one exists.

When I was a newbie I wandered about aimlessly, having never played a MUD. I didn't realize I had any coins at all and had no idea how to check.

At bare-minimum have an NPC in the start rooms programmed to explain a couple things and then optionals for a few more.

Key commands like: inv versus eq should be immediately explained via the NPC telling you when you enter (or a sign).

Then load more hints via "discuss" with the NPC.  That will also let new players know the "discuss" command exists and they might want to use it with other NPCs.

Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Themed starter rooms might be fun.

Anyone play Thief: the Dark Project and remember the training mission?  It taught you how to do things but it also set things up thematically.

It would be a ton of work, but imagine if there was a "pickpocket" training area that you could play through, and it was described as "Another Day in the Bazaar".  It would teach you about inventory, steal, and what the crimcode is like if you fail, and as a bonus, you might have the option to view it as part of your character's background.

Or a "warrior" training area in a gladiatorial arena or fighting pit.  When you die, you wake up and it was all just a dream.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

Merchant starting area.
Go through the life of a merchant or day, catch thieves, make shit, sell stuff. Etc.

Quote from: Jihelu on November 05, 2015, 10:42:11 PM
Merchant starting area.
Go through the life of a merchant or day, catch thieves, make shit, sell stuff. Etc.

learn what barrier is for...
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: whitt on November 05, 2015, 10:47:05 PM
Quote from: Jihelu on November 05, 2015, 10:42:11 PM
Merchant starting area.

learn what barrier is for...

:D