language options
8 (15.1%)
hunting aid/forage food
21 (39.6%)
city life aid/crime/sawbones
5 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 53

I hope I included everything.

Forage food first, always. Crafting second, just because I'm creative in real life. City life aid third, because I love listen and sneak.

I like to pick subguilds that will let me pass as a main guild I don't belong to reasonably believably.

I tend to worry less about guild sniffing, so I went with languages. I actually like the idea of using languages as a method of "secure" communication. Who the hell speaks Mirukkim? What are the chances that dusty traveller even SPEAKS Bendune?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

direction sense- because a lot of fun happens outside the city and storms are common enough. I wish there were more ways of getting this skill but that is just my personal preference.
Ride- Not always as important as direction sense but it often is great to have.
sneak/hide- Whether city or wilderness...always great to have. I always thought city elves should get city hide (and/or sneak as well)

Climb-I like to have it, but I don't know why. Unfortunately, its never saved me from falling to my death or really been that useful in anyway. And I really I only put this skill to use once in my many many years of playing this game However that was to climb what were probably some of the highest peaks in the game, not sure if those areas even exist anymore but I still have dreams about that experience, just leaving my kank behind and traveling further then I ever though possible on foot with my human ranger. I just guess there is part of me that wants to go see if those places still exist.

Shield_use- If protector or guard had direction_sense and ride, and renamed to cavalier or outrider, I would probably picking over something like grebber or outdoorsman more often.   

Quote from: Dresan on November 01, 2015, 01:16:57 PM
direction sense- because a lot of fun happens outside the city and storms are common enough. I wish there were more ways of getting this skill but that is just my personal preference.
Ride- Not always as important as direction sense but it often is great to have.
sneak/hide- Whether city or wilderness...always great to have. I always thought city elves should get city hide (and/or sneak as well)

Climb-I like to have it, but I don't know why. Unfortunately, its never saved me from falling to my death or really been that useful in anyway. And I really I only put this skill to use once in my many many years of playing this game However that was to climb what were probably some of the highest peaks in the game, not sure if those areas even exist anymore but I still have dreams about that experience, just leaving my kank behind and traveling further then I ever though possible on foot with my human ranger. I just guess there is part of me that wants to go see if those places still exist.

Shield_use- If protector or guard had direction_sense and ride, and renamed to cavalier or outrider, I would probably picking over something like grebber or outdoorsman more often.   

I'm pretty much feel this way.

I'm a sucker for languages. I fucking love having a huge list of languages to speak.  The nomadic origin made my day when it was put in because it allows the selection of the linguist subguild while still retaining fluency in bendune.  Skill bumps are also amazing because you can get yourself some starter language skills.  I have yet to play my ultimate concept: a merchant/linguist with a nomadic origin. Fluency in five languages!  Someday though.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on November 01, 2015, 03:47:41 PM
Skill bumps are also amazing because you can get yourself some starter language skills.

I hadn't thought about using bumps for that.  Cool. :)
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

I honestly looooove crafting, but the merchant guild itself seems like if you pick it, it's the only thing you can ever do, ever.

So I tend to pick another guild and all of the skills go unused while I happily craft things in the narrow field that I can.

Something with direction sense.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: In Dreams on November 01, 2015, 04:54:04 PM
I honestly looooove crafting, but the merchant guild itself seems like if you pick it, it's the only thing you can ever do, ever.

So I tend to pick another guild and all of the skills go unused while I happily craft things in the narrow field that I can.

I had a merchant with the outdoorsman extended sub guild. I gathered all my own resources. Hunting is a cinch when you're a master fetcher and make your own arrows. It was like being a ranger that could craft anything. Granted it's an extended sub guild and special but I enjoyed it.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on November 01, 2015, 04:58:45 PM
Quote from: In Dreams on November 01, 2015, 04:54:04 PM

I had a merchant with the outdoorsman extended sub guild. I gathered all my own resources. Hunting is a cinch when you're a master fetcher and make your own arrows. It was like being a ranger that could craft anything. Granted it's an extended sub guild and special but I enjoyed it.
Ohh...this sounds very interesting. I'm going to have to try it.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

November 02, 2015, 05:34:36 AM #11 Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 05:37:32 AM by The Silence of the Erdlus
My least favorite is languages, because I want there to be a flaw or two in my evil plans for the opposition to get a chance to figure out, and a good way to do that is to be speaking in a relatively common language.

Sawbones and crime, not really interested, but they do provide a function apart from idling. Trader subguild is okay, don't care for con artist, I like bard and house servant.

Having a craft to work on during down time is important to me. That said for warriors I find myself taking nomad or mercenary almost every time. I think that those two subguilds provide a perfect amount of flavor and fun to a character. They have the outdoorsman type benefits, and a crafting skill or two for downtime. I think if more subguilds offered this blend I would pick them up more often.

Also, I think that a poll result for "what is thematic for the character" might also be a nice addition. If I'm playing anything but a warrior I'll just pick up the subguild that best fits the backstory I wrote.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Depends entirely on character, so I didn't vote. I'd say Extended is my favorite one.

Wait so I can bug staff to give me that starter tatlum? Finally!
Bard is best cause you just gotta run full wisdom and learn every language naturally.

Used to be my favorite was any subguild that gave a decent Ride skill.

These days, I think Grebber is a fantastic toolset for a character, both early in life and late (even before it got forage food).  Not sure which category it fits into, though.